Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2024, 06:56 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How can the neighborhood take advantage of the traffic that was designed to simply go through the neighborhood versus actually going through the neighborhood grid? If anything, that would make the case for the fill in option versus the cap that the state DOT feels is the best option.
You have all this traffic every day. There are things called exits. Why aren't there donut, bagel and coffee shops for commuters in the morning, and all kinds of stores and shops for the way home? For me, and I would think others, too, it would be great for these stops close to my commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 10:30 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
You have all this traffic every day. There are things called exits. Why aren't there donut, bagel and coffee shops for commuters in the morning, and all kinds of stores and shops for the way home? For me, and I would think others, too, it would be great for these stops close to my commute.
Why would they stop there, when the set up of the highway doesn't go by many businesses in that area and its purpose is to transport people from the suburbs to Downtown and vice versa? That doesn't make sense in its current form, but would make more sense if you filled the area in, to where to actually traverse through the neighborhood on the surface level. Hence, why the the Rochester Inner Loop project likely gets mentioned, as you now see housing and businesses in that area on a surface level versus a depressed(for lack of a better word) highway that isn't build to traverse through a neighborhood outside of going through on the way to other destinations.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Why would they stop there, when the set up of the highway doesn't go by many businesses in that area .
That's what I just said. Why not?

Old 01-06-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That's what I just said. Why not?
It has been explained as to why. Which in turn, devalued the neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It has been explained as to why. Which in turn, devalued the neighborhood.
No it hasn't. In fact it is part of the discussion.

BTW, commercial property is worth WAY more than residential. If the property was devalued, it was because of the unchecked crime.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
No it hasn't. In fact it is part of the discussion.

BTW, commercial property is worth WAY more than residential. If the property was devalued, it was because of the unchecked crime.
No, it has been explained. Just actually read the responses and listen to the community members that stated such.

Again, you are conflating two different topics into one, as the highway traffic isn't designed to stop and to go into said neighborhood, but was designed to efficiently move people from the heart of the city/Downtown to the suburbs. To state otherwise, would be disingenuous.

Plus, the area/neighborhood has historically been a pretty middle class area(Hamlin Park). So, to automatically assume crime devalued the neighborhood is interesting. Some information: https://www.segregationbydesign.com/...ton-expressway

Simple question, do you think a highway going through an established neighborhood adds to the values or devalues the neighborhood? Simple yes or no answer.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-06-2024 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-06-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No, it has been explained. Just actually read the responses and listen to the community members that stated such.

Again, you are conflating two different topics into one, as the highway traffic isn't designed to stop and to go into said neighborhood, but was designed to efficiently move people from the heart of the city/Downtown to the suburbs. To state otherwise, would be disingenuous.

Plus, the area/neighborhood has historically been a pretty middle class area(Hamlin Park). So, to automatically assume crime devalued the neighborhood is interesting.

Simple question, do you think a highway going through an established neighborhood adds to the values or devalues the neighborhood? Simple yes or no answer.
Well, what caused the devaluation?

There is no yes or no answer. I'm an optimist, so I can see all kinds of positives. Then again, someone else will not. So I guess it pays to be a negative complainer. $1 billion. Ka-ching.

Old 01-06-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Well, what caused the devaluation?

There is no yes or no answer. I'm an optimist, so I can see all kinds of positives. Then again, someone else will not. So I guess it pays to be a negative complainer. $1 billion. Ka-ching.
You didn't answer the question. So, I take that as a deflection. It is a simple yes or no answer regarding the question.

I find the negative complainer statement coming from you to be very ironic, given the theme of a good majority of your own posts on here.

Perhaps the thing is that the policy decision to build a highway through an established neighborhood was a mistake. That wouldn't be the way to bring people into a neighborhood, especially when you have to break up the fabric of said neighborhood to build the highway.

More information...

Protesters march against Kensington project: 'Our children will suffer in the long run': https://buffalonews.com/news/local/p...s-source=login

"East Side resident Sherry Sherrill led about 60 people opposed to the Kensington Expressway project on a march Saturday up East Ferry Street from Jefferson Avenue to Humboldt Parkway.

“Humboldt Parkway’s got to grow, Kensington Expressway’s got to go!” Sherrill said into a microphone amplified through a speaker she lugged beside her, one of many chants marchers repeated in unison along the half-mile distance.

The march, called by the East Side-based We Are Women Warriors, is the latest example of dissatisfaction with the $921.8 million project expected with inflation to cost over $1 billion.

The proposal calls for a tunnel from Dodge to Sidney streets with grass and trees above to reconstruct a portion of the Frederick Law Olmsted-designed parkway. The parkway was destroyed when the highway was constructed during the 1950s and ‘60s

“The Kensington Expressway was a huge injustice, and what the DOT is offering is clearly no solution to that,” said Alec Herbert, clutching a sign that read, “Let’s Connect MLK Park + Delaware Park,” which Humboldt Parkway did and the current proposal doesn’t do.

Bill Shanahan also wants to see the parkway restored.

“This was one of the best-planned and laid-out cities in the world, and we destroyed it with this terrible divide,” Shanahan said. “I’d like to see it come back together.”

Cynthia McMillon, a member of the Stop the Violence Coalition, held a sign that read “No Toxic Tunnel” which refers to automobile exhaust discharged at both ends of the 3/4-mile-long tunnel. The State Department of Transportation has said its ventilation and other measures will keep pollutants within federal standards. The East Side Corridor Coalition, which is critical of the project, believes the plumes of pollution released will make air quality worse.

“Our children will suffer in the long run,” McMillon said.

Sherrill said she’s afraid mistakes of the past will be repeated if the tunnel project goes forward.

“The Black community was the path of least resistance when the highway came in,” Sherrill said. “It did a tremendous amount of harm, separating and fragmenting neighbors, reducing equity in their homes, hurting people’s health and preventing solidarity from being a unifying force in the Black and African American community.

“It’s time, in this generation, where environmental justice is an agenda that is being implemented all the way from the White House, to amplify the voices of Humboldt Parkway neighborhoods who don’t want this highway,” she said.

On Friday evening, about 75 people attended an event sponsored by the East Side Parkways Coalition in the Delavan-Grider Community Center, with Morgan Barker, Sean Sweeney and Jeff Carballada presenting their analysis of the projects public comments collected by the State Department of Transportation.

The project lacks community consensus, they concluded, with 48% opposing the project, 47% in support and 5% neutral. (Interesting, as this is a little bit different than the information in the Spectrum segment/article)

Those numbers changed significantly when looking more closely at the comments.

Some letters of support – 42% – came from form letters that call for a cover – which is why they were put in the “support” category – but also make claims that aren’t part of the project.

The letters claim the project is the first of other phases, and that the project will connect Martin Luther King Jr. and Delaware parks. While those goals may be aspirational, the State Department of Transportation has said the project does not call for additional phases and it won’t connect the parks.

That speaks to the considerable confusion among project supporters over what the plan actually calls for, the researchers found.

When examining individual written or emailed submissions, as opposed to comment cards and form and cut-and-paste letters, they found just 7% were in favor of the project, with 38% opposed.

The research also found that without the 18% of comments from individuals or organizations with short-term financial and labor interests, support for the project drops to 35%, with 58% opposed and 6% neutral.

At two crucial points, both when the comment period was about to end and again after the period was extended, an SOS appeared to be sent to two trade unions that stand to gain work from the project, generating last-minute form letters of support, Carballada said.

“There was steady opposition through the comment period, and it was extended because the DOT appears to have felt they were not getting enough positive responses,” Carballada said. “Then there was a deliberate attempt to mobilize particular groups to make a declaration about their perspective on the tunnel, which swayed the final result.

“To me, that timing and that spike at the end is key to understanding the failure of the DOT’s outreach effort,” he said."

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-06-2024 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-06-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. So, I take that as a deflection. It is a simple yes or no answer regarding the question.

I find the negative complainer statement coming from you to be very ironic, given the theme of a good majority of your own posts on here.

Perhaps the thing is that the policy decision to build a highway through an established neighborhood was a mistake. That wouldn't be the way to bring people into a neighborhood, especially when you have to break up the fabric of said neighborhood to build the highway.

More information...

Protesters march against Kensington project: 'Our children will suffer in the long run': https://buffalonews.com/news/local/p...s-source=login

"East Side resident Sherry Sherrill led about 60 people opposed to the Kensington Expressway project on a march Saturday up East Ferry Street from Jefferson Avenue to Humboldt Parkway.

“Humboldt Parkway’s got to grow, Kensington Expressway’s got to go!” Sherrill said into a microphone amplified through a speaker she lugged beside her, one of many chants marchers repeated in unison along the half-mile distance.

The march, called by the East Side-based We Are Women Warriors, is the latest example of dissatisfaction with the $921.8 million project expected with inflation to cost over $1 billion.

The proposal calls for a tunnel from Dodge to Sidney streets with grass and trees above to reconstruct a portion of the Frederick Law Olmsted-designed parkway. The parkway was destroyed when the highway was constructed during the 1950s and ‘60s

“The Kensington Expressway was a huge injustice, and what the DOT is offering is clearly no solution to that,” said Alec Herbert, clutching a sign that read, “Let’s Connect MLK Park + Delaware Park,” which Humboldt Parkway did and the current proposal doesn’t do.

Bill Shanahan also wants to see the parkway restored.

“This was one of the best-planned and laid-out cities in the world, and we destroyed it with this terrible divide,” Shanahan said. “I’d like to see it come back together.”

Cynthia McMillon, a member of the Stop the Violence Coalition, held a sign that read “No Toxic Tunnel” which refers to automobile exhaust discharged at both ends of the 3/4-mile-long tunnel. The State Department of Transportation has said its ventilation and other measures will keep pollutants within federal standards. The East Side Corridor Coalition, which is critical of the project, believes the plumes of pollution released will make air quality worse.

“Our children will suffer in the long run,” McMillon said.

Sherrill said she’s afraid mistakes of the past will be repeated if the tunnel project goes forward.

“The Black community was the path of least resistance when the highway came in,” Sherrill said. “It did a tremendous amount of harm, separating and fragmenting neighbors, reducing equity in their homes, hurting people’s health and preventing solidarity from being a unifying force in the Black and African American community.

“It’s time, in this generation, where environmental justice is an agenda that is being implemented all the way from the White House, to amplify the voices of Humboldt Parkway neighborhoods who don’t want this highway,” she said.

On Friday evening, about 75 people attended an event sponsored by the East Side Parkways Coalition in the Delavan-Grider Community Center, with Morgan Barker, Sean Sweeney and Jeff Carballada presenting their analysis of the projects public comments collected by the State Department of Transportation.

The project lacks community consensus, they concluded, with 48% opposing the project, 47% in support and 5% neutral. (Interesting, as this is a little bit different than the information in the Spectrum segment/article)

Those numbers changed significantly when looking more closely at the comments.

Some letters of support – 42% – came from form letters that call for a cover – which is why they were put in the “support” category – but also make claims that aren’t part of the project.

The letters claim the project is the first of other phases, and that the project will connect Martin Luther King Jr. and Delaware parks. While those goals may be aspirational, the State Department of Transportation has said the project does not call for additional phases and it won’t connect the parks.

That speaks to the considerable confusion among project supporters over what the plan actually calls for, the researchers found.

When examining individual written or emailed submissions, as opposed to comment cards and form and cut-and-paste letters, they found just 7% were in favor of the project, with 38% opposed.

The research also found that without the 18% of comments from individuals or organizations with short-term financial and labor interests, support for the project drops to 35%, with 58% opposed and 6% neutral.

At two crucial points, both when the comment period was about to end and again after the period was extended, an SOS appeared to be sent to two trade unions that stand to gain work from the project, generating last-minute form letters of support, Carballada said.

“There was steady opposition through the comment period, and it was extended because the DOT appears to have felt they were not getting enough positive responses,” Carballada said. “Then there was a deliberate attempt to mobilize particular groups to make a declaration about their perspective on the tunnel, which swayed the final result.

“To me, that timing and that spike at the end is key to understanding the failure of the DOT’s outreach effort,” he said."

You know about deflecting, that's for sure. I answered it perfectly. How on earth does one expect a diifinative answer to such an open ended question.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You know about deflecting, that's for sure. I answered it perfectly. How on earth does one expect a diifinative answer to such an open ended question.
No, nice try and you didn't. Stop with the fib. Again, if a highway is built through an established(key word) neighborhood, with a substantial middle class, does it increase or decrease value? Even if you consider it an open ended question, you still didn't answer the question in regards to whether value increases or decreases by saying "I'm optimistic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area