Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 18,250 times

Advertisements

I think that Lewiston looks like a very nice place to live. Safe. Slow paced. Good location (close to the border, Buffalo, etc).
I like that there are a couple of town bars, a coffee shop, ArtPark, Theatre in The Mist, parks and so on.

In other posts I talk about living in the Elmwood, Hertel, and Delaware Park area and wanting to be walking distance to some destinations. Our small family doesn't need to be around an outrageous nightlife. If anything, we are happy hour people and will get by just fine with a stroll down to the park and bakery. We are cool with driving to the zoo, aquarium, falls and other attractions.

I've seen other thread comments that Lewiston is boring and a good place to visit but not to live.
We will not be bored. We are generally reserved people and it's hard to go out and enjoy the nightlife with a small child. I just wonder if we will be around other families in their 30s with small kids. Is the town mostly older?

We currently live in a city but I grew up in a village of under 1000 people and the idea of returning to that lifestyle is enticing.

I do not need information about taxes or schools.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM

341 posts, read 684,459 times
Lewiston is a great place to live. About the only thing that might irritate someone (Since you mention Art Park), is some of the village idiots are opposed to people actually using ArtPark, but you would get those people anywhere you live.

It's walkable (Like, seriously walkable. Pedestrians are allowed to traverse using the roads, and cars just need to slow down. It's that cool). Shopping is great. Most people are very nice there. It's far enough from Niagara Falls that you don't need to worry about the whackadoodles in NF flooding through. It's a 15 minute walk to the waterfront. 10 minute drive to one of the best views in our area (Upper Mountain Road).

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,818,391 times
You will also see lots of people going to Old Fort Niagara, but all the touristy things are basically summers only.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsisboombah View Post
I think that Lewiston looks like a very nice place to live. Safe. Slow paced. Good location (close to the border, Buffalo, etc).
I like that there are a couple of town bars, a coffee shop, ArtPark, Theatre in The Mist, parks and so on.

In other posts I talk about living in the Elmwood, Hertel, and Delaware Park area and wanting to be walking distance to some destinations. Our small family doesn't need to be around an outrageous nightlife. If anything, we are happy hour people and will get by just fine with a stroll down to the park and bakery. We are cool with driving to the zoo, aquarium, falls and other attractions.

I've seen other thread comments that Lewiston is boring and a good place to visit but not to live.
We will not be bored. We are generally reserved people and it's hard to go out and enjoy the nightlife with a small child. I just wonder if we will be around other families in their 30s with small kids. Is the town mostly older?

We currently live in a city but I grew up in a village of under 1000 people and the idea of returning to that lifestyle is enticing.

I do not need information about taxes or schools.

Thanks everyone!
very slim pickings for housing in Lewiston..its' a tiny town..do yourself a favor and widen your search.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
very slim pickings for housing in Lewiston..its' a tiny town..do yourself a favor and widen your search.
Hmmm Have 5 appointments to look at rentals next week. Thanks for the positivity!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM

417 posts, read 867,933 times
I live on Grand Island and go to lewiston atleast monthly for a chang eof scenery. Id highly recommend it provided you dont have to commute to downtown buffalo, which is the reason its simply too much of a commute for me to justtify. I like the resteraunts, there are about 6 that we visit in regular rotation (BBQ, Itallian, Fine Dining, Irish Pub plus pizzaria/ chinese/ coffee shop) On the main strip there is basically a mix of said resteraunts, a few real estate companies, a travel place, a toy store, a wine store, a pet store, an ice cream shop, an arts and crafts place, a couple antique shops, banks, churches, gas stations and at the very end of main street when you hit the niagara river there is a resteraunt/bar and hotel (brand new) at the end of the strip on the gorge, access to the water with a small boat launch. As you can see, Ive been there many many times and continue to just because of the relaxing atmosphere.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,064 times
I've never lived in Lewiston, but it's a place I'd seriously consider moving to. I get up there for the Power Authority Wildlife Festival and a couple times a year I like to spend a weekend at the spa hotel on Center St. and walk to all the cute shops and antique stores. The area by the water is lovely. I've seen the big whirlpool jet boat coming and going there. Official Whirlpool Jet Boats Tours : Home You're close to Niagara Falls, the outlet mall, and as 04blackmaxx said there are several excellent restaurants in Lewiston. The people of WNY are awesome, and Lewiston is no exception. Always meet very nice locals when I'm there. Seems like a wonderful place to raise a family. If you were ever in the mood for nightlife you could just hop over to Canada. It's generally said that Lewiston's weather is a bit better than Buffalo's. Lots to do in and around Lewiston - Devil's Hole and Joseph David State Park, not to mention Niagara Falls State Park, entertainment at ArtPark, several festivals in summertime like the Jazz Fest Historic Lewiston Jazz Festival | FREE Jazz performed by world class musicians and Lewiston Art Festival, and many wineries nearby Welcome to the Niagara Wine Trail.org

I find the feel of the town to be very charming, quaint, and cool. Being close to the River and also Lake Ontario takes it up a notch for me. Kind of like if East Aurora was on the water! (Kinda..) There's a historic vibe to the place too, and indeed Lewiston does have a rich and interesting history: Historic Lewiston, NY

Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I've never lived in Lewiston, but it's a place I'd seriously consider moving to. I get up there for the Power Authority Wildlife Festival and a couple times a year I like to spend a weekend at the spa hotel on Center St. and walk to all the cute shops and antique stores. The area by the water is lovely. I've seen the big whirlpool jet boat coming and going there. Official Whirlpool Jet Boats Tours : Home You're close to Niagara Falls, the outlet mall, and as 04blackmaxx said there are several excellent restaurants in Lewiston. The people of WNY are awesome, and Lewiston is no exception. Always meet very nice locals when I'm there. Seems like a wonderful place to raise a family. If you were ever in the mood for nightlife you could just hop over to Canada. It's generally said that Lewiston's weather is a bit better than Buffalo's. Lots to do in and around Lewiston - Devil's Hole and Joseph David State Park, not to mention Niagara Falls State Park, entertainment at ArtPark, several festivals in summertime like the Jazz Fest Historic Lewiston Jazz Festival | FREE Jazz performed by world class musicians and Lewiston Art Festival, and many wineries nearby Welcome to the Niagara Wine Trail.org

I find the feel of the town to be very charming, quaint, and cool. Being close to the River and also Lake Ontario takes it up a notch for me. Kind of like if East Aurora was on the water! (Kinda..) There's a historic vibe to the place too, and indeed Lewiston does have a rich and interesting history: Historic Lewiston, NY
Thanks for the awesome input!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM

879 posts, read 1,631,944 times
If I were to live outside of Buffalo, I would probably move south of Buffalo because I like the hilly terrain and the snow. However, the proximity of Lewiston to Toronto would also be very nice. Right now, under optimal conditions from near downtown Buffalo, I can be in TO in about 1.5 hours, from Lewiston it ought to be closer to an hour. Great activities in TO for kids, the science museum is world class, of course, there are other museums, and the zoo is nice, etc. Lewiston seems quaint, good luck on your search.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Just in case, if you really love the area and Lewiston falls through(which I doubt), nearby Youngstown may work too: Village of Youngstown | Young in spirit, ageless in pride.

and more information: Youngstown, New York - Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-05-2013 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area