Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
If I were to live outside of Buffalo, I would probably move south of Buffalo because I like the hilly terrain and the snow. However, the proximity of Lewiston to Toronto would also be very nice. Right now, under optimal conditions from near downtown Buffalo, I can be in TO in about 1.5 hours, from Lewiston it ought to be closer to an hour. Great activities in TO for kids, the science museum is world class, of course, there are other museums, and the zoo is nice, etc. Lewiston seems quaint, good luck on your search.
Except that the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge is the busiest crossing with the longest delays. Sometimes you'd be better off backtracking to the Rainbow Bridge and crossing that, which means it ends up taking longer than just starting off in Buffalo at the Peace Bridge. Plus I can tell you right now, only very rarely will you be able to drive from Lewiston to Toronto in 1 hour and you would be risking some serious speeding tickets. It's 82 miles to Toronto from Lewiston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 PM

400 posts, read 575,471 times
Lewiston is a nice place to live. We spend time there during early spring for the smelt dipping and during the summer for the jazz festival. Locals are really laid back and easy to make friends with. My husband is Mr. Friendly and he never leaves Lewiston without making a new friend lol. If you are into being surrounded by trees, nature and beautiful scenic views of the river, this is the place for you. I love taking pictures there, it's so beautiful everywhere. Summer walks in the evening to watch the sunset over the water are very romantic .

Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Except that the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge is the busiest crossing with the longest delays. Sometimes you'd be better off backtracking to the Rainbow Bridge and crossing that, which means it ends up taking longer than just starting off in Buffalo at the Peace Bridge. Plus I can tell you right now, only very rarely will you be able to drive from Lewiston to Toronto in 1 hour and you would be risking some serious speeding tickets. It's 82 miles to Toronto from Lewiston.
Yes, the delays at that bridge can be long (I never use it because I always take the Peace Bridge and iirc, Rainbow is nexus only? Not sure though). Have you driven the QEW?? People are easily doing 75 / 80 all the time.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 PM

223 posts, read 732,184 times
As most everybody here has said Lewiston is absolutely beautiful! We go up there a lot during the Fall and love how quiet and walkable the village is. I'd consider living there if I didn't have to commute so far into Erie county.

If you're going to Canada a lot get a Nexus pass and use the Whirlpool Rapids bridge (just north of the Rainbow bridge). It's a pre-approved clearance program and speeds up the border crossing. To use Nexus you must use this bridge as it's Nexus only! We've had a Nexus pass for a few years and it's worth it's weight in gold, especially in the Summer when the other bridge lines are looooong!

Good luck and enjoy Lewiston!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
There is Nexus on the other bridges too. Rainbow has Nexus going into the U.S. but only on weekday mornings now. Returning to Canada on Rainbow has no Nexus. Queenston-Lewiston has Nexus going into Canada only. The Peace Bridge has Nexus going both ways.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Not so sure anyone ever risks serious speeding tickets while on the QEW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area