Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,919 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job with the CFL in Hamilton Ontario. We are deciding whether to move to Ontario, or just live near border. I think from research that Lewiston, NY is the closest. Does anyone know what the commute would be? Or do you have any other suggestions. We want the commute to be the shortest possible. If this is not possible, then we would just move and rent in Canada. Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM

984 posts, read 2,714,031 times
That is the shortest commute possible. Avoiding delays at the border you can be in hamilton in about a half hour. Getting a Nexus pass would speed up the border and delays there aren't that common outside of special events or sports games

Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,890 times
It's over 50 miles to Hamilton from Lewiston, how do you suggest he can make that commute in half an hour? Bad weather, traffic on the QEW during summer tourist season, border delays... it's not a good commute to have. Not sure why you would even consider living in NY and commuting to Hamilton every day, unless you have some other reason (family, job, etc.).

I recommend you find a rental in Stoney Creek or Hamilton Mountain.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM

56 posts, read 163,202 times
EXTREMELY long commute. I would say that you'd be good for well over an hour on a very good day. Some days much longer. I totally understand not wanting to leave the country, but maybe that means this job isn't for him.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,981 times
CFL = Canadian Football league?

Personally, I would think a short term lease in Hamilton ( 3, 6 mos) would get you set to "get used to the place". Then, you can gauge the travel to Lewiston. Sometimes the Lew-Queenston Br is easy but sometime it is horrible. So, the commute is "iffy". I would try the Canadian side ( see if the job will pay for rent for a few months. it can't hurt asking); if you don't like it, go to Lewiston and get set for the commute.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,919 times
Yes, CFL is the Canadian Football League. I think we will come there for Spring Break and try and time things out. I live in Idaho right now, so it is a big move. I am trying to figure out schools, switching to Canadian cell phone, and probably other things I haven't thought of yet. But we are real excited. I am originally from Pittsburgh, and am excited to be closer to my family.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 AM

93,467 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjzamberlin View Post
Yes, CFL is the Canadian Football League. I think we will come there for Spring Break and try and time things out. I live in Idaho right now, so it is a big move. I am trying to figure out schools, switching to Canadian cell phone, and probably other things I haven't thought of yet. But we are real excited. I am originally from Pittsburgh, and am excited to be closer to my family.
You may like Hamilton, as it is sometimes referred to as the Pittsburgh of Canada due to its steel industry history. Even the Tiger-Cats and Steelers have the same colors. People love their team and it is actually the oldest professional football team/organization in North America(if you count the lineage before the merger of the Tigers and Wildcats in 1950).

Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM
ETF

13 posts, read 28,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjzamberlin View Post
Live in Stoney Creek. Nice area. Be prepared though for significant increase in living costs. Our cell and cable/interent....actually everything is more expensive in Ontario than WNY. Schools are very decent. The boards here are very large. No need to move to different locations as most schools are pretty much the same.
House prices might be shock. 2500 sq ft home is about 300k++
Down town Hamilton is a little rough.....well for Cdn standards. Other nice areas you might want to consider the mid way would be St. Catharine's 130k pop, Grimsby 25k.
Commute from Lewiston is going to take you about 30 mins on a perfect day. Typical would be 45-60 mins. With bad days being about 90mins.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM

984 posts, read 2,714,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
It's over 50 miles to Hamilton from Lewiston, how do you suggest he can make that commute in half an hour? Bad weather, traffic on the QEW during summer tourist season, border delays... it's not a good commute to have. Not sure why you would even consider living in NY and commuting to Hamilton every day, unless you have some other reason (family, job, etc.).

I recommend you find a rental in Stoney Creek or Hamilton Mountain.
If you live close to the border crossing you can hit the east end of hamilton in a half hour. It's 37 miles.. All depends where exactly you are going. If you assume Ivor Wynne stadium for CFL it still only 42 miles. I do the stretch from the 405 to Red Hill pkwy in about 20 minutes every trip.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM

879 posts, read 1,632,373 times
Stick to the Canadian side. The commute won't be worth it. Try to find a place outside of Hamilton (I can always smell the sulfur even on my rare trips to TO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area