Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 59,942 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Boulder and as a 55+ active single woman, was wondering if I may feel out of place. Also, what would be the best and safest neighborhoods for an older single gal to rent in without having to worry about getting in my car for every want & need - thx,

Cajundoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab11itha View Post
I am considering a move to Boulder and as a 55+ active single woman, was wondering if I may feel out of place. Also, what would be the best and safest neighborhoods for an older single gal to rent in without having to worry about getting in my car for every want & need - thx,

Cajundoe
What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Are you retired, or will you be working? There are plenty of over 55 folks in Boulder, both those for whom Boulder has been home for many years, and those who've moved more recently; Boulder is not a married couples only enclave at any age. What will be your budget for rent? Where are you moving from?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:

Cajundoe
I did at one time live in Boulder, when I was younger--I am older than you. You would not be out of place because Boulder is a single enclave of many different age groups. There are many over 50 singles in Boulder.

However, you would feel a little out of place in the area immediately around the university campus--for example "the hill" across the street on Broadway. Maybe out of place is the wrong words but as I get older, everyone gets younger and louder--and this area is loud, raucous and young.

I would look at areas in North Boulder, on Broadway, especially around Boulder Community Hospital. This area has less students and has many seniors; there is an elder co-housing community in this area. There is a small shopping area with Ideal Market. The area is walkable with good bus transportation. You are just enough away from the center of town, down on Broadway, but quickly accessible with frequent buses. All of Boulder has good bus service but is better near the center off of Broadway.

I would look at the RTD website and pay attention where the loop buses go and live nearby. See The Regional Transportation District Home Page. In addition another good site is City of Boulder, Colorado (http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=705&Item id=311 - broken link)

The areas I mention are expensive. If cost is a problem, then I would look east past 28th Street and try to find a place around the 28th Street Shopping which is the redeveloped Crossroads Mall at Arapahoe and 28th.
There are many new stores here and very walkable. The farther east you go, the cheaper housing (still expensive) but the community has less of a walkable feel with less close in shopping.

Another area that is nice is south of the Campus, in the Table Mesa area of Boulder, off of Broudway--little walkable shopping, expensive.

Oh, Also along Pearl Street, east of the Mall, toward 28th Street, nice walkable area with shops, good transportation, many complexes off of Pearl. Diverse area with students.

There are some relatively cheaper areas but these areas would have many nice young, loud, students enjoying life--if you can handle it--it is great.

Livecontent

Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,410 times
Boulder sounds like it would be a good fit for you, but do keep in mind that renting in certain areas can be very expensive. As Livecontent noted, the "Hill" area north/northwest of Broadway may not be the best - Friday and Saturday nights can be rowdy with the college crowd and there are a number of fraternity and sorority houses in this area. My partner works for the Boulder Police Department and this is where most calls come from; usually just fights amongst the drunks.

As an alternative to Boulder, you may check out surrounding cities like Louisville, Lafayette, Niwot (although renting may be difficult - this is mostly a homeowner town) and Erie. Rents are likely cheaper and Boulder is much closer than Denver (maybe 15 minutes). As with any communities along the Front Range, your view of the mountains and proximity to a large number of amenities will determine your rent.

Boulder has tons of bike and walking trails that wind through the city, along with trailheads along the western portions (SW, W and NW) that allow you to head into the foothills for a nice hike. It is worth mentioning that on warm summer mornings these trailheads can be very crowded. Boulder is, and always has been, one of the fittest cities in the United States and you will see why ANY time you're in the city, winter or summer.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM

Thx for all your comments, very helpful.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM

22 posts, read 57,884 times
Boulder is nice but it’s very expensive and the traffic can be horrible! It’s a college town so when the kids are in school, driving is crazy. All that been said, it’s really a very pretty town that is liberal and what people call granola. You will find lots of “mother earth types”, geeks from the high tech industries, highly educated intellectuals, and some who you wonder how they can even afford a place. Overall it’s very eclectic.

I love the charm of Boulder but it’s nearly impossible to afford a place (unless it’s a condo). Basic, small tract houses start at close to $300K. You can find condo’s for $150K or so. You might consider living in one of the small out lying areas where housing is more affordable but when you yearn for the eclectic charm of Boulder it’s an easy drive away.

I would recommend searching craigslist.org and choose "Boulder". You'll find housing examples as well as local forums.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Yes, I would definitely consider a place outside of Boulder as long as there was good transportation into the city. Denver also is not completely out of the question, but I'd rather a smaller town atmosphere.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would definitely consider a place outside of Boulder as long as there was good transportation into the city. Denver also is not completely out of the question, but I'd rather a smaller town atmosphere.
I rarely use public transportation, so perhaps another poster can offer advice on public transportation from surrounding communities into Boulder (other than US 36). There are express bus routes along US 36 between Denver and Boulder that are clean, convenient and fast.

Also, while others may disagree, I wouldn't consider Boulder to have a "small-town" feel. It is quite bustling and has a population closing in on 100,000. Now, "smaller-town feel" than Denver, yes.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
I rarely use public transportation, so perhaps another poster can offer advice on public transportation from surrounding communities into Boulder (other than US 36). There are express bus routes along US 36 between Denver and Boulder that are clean, convenient and fast.

Also, while others may disagree, I wouldn't consider Boulder to have a "small-town" feel. It is quite bustling and has a population closing in on 100,000. Now, "smaller-town feel" than Denver, yes.
I totally agree. Boulder does not have a small town feel. The traffic is worse than most areas of Denver. It is concentrated and condensed and it has many "I am too young to die" drivers who are "going to live forever" so why are they in such a hurry??

I have lived in Boulder; I have lived in New York City and there are areas in NYC, Manhattan, that are less congested. But because of the concentration like NYC, it has good public transportation. It is very easy and convenient to get around Boulder without a car.

I am big user of the buses and the rails in this area and I have taken the bus to boulder numerous times. The Regional Bus "B" is both an express, with limited stops to Boulder from Market Street Station, Downtown Denver, and all stops along the Hwy. 36 to Boulder Station. There are also other regional buses, and local buses that connect Boulder with other areas.

Yes, if you can afford it and tolerate the youth as I said, Boulder is a nice place to be, but it is no Andy Hardy Movie (oh, maybe that is too old for you) Mayberry it is not. It is fast, great, exciting and arrogant--like a budding New York--but Boulderites pretend that they are otherwise.

I would not live there anymore because as I grow older--the youthful exuberance, arrogance and behavior, I can no longer tolerate. It is too fast for my old bones.

I think there are many neighborhoods in Denver that have more of a small town feel; have many eclectic shops; artistic and creative people of all ages. You have a perception of Denver as a City but you do not understand that a city is a collection of neighborhoods with unique characteristics.

However, you have your heart set on Boulder--you got to give it a try. Commuting in and out of Boulder is not the same. Boulder is unique town and there is nothing like it.

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Read carefully the words Livecontent conveys. Brilliance, really.

Boulder is not for everyone, but it is for a lot of people. It's a unique culture and sure worth checking out. You can never judge for yourself unless you spend some time there. You'll find out fairly quickly whether or not Boulder is for you. It's certainly not afraid of anything and can be very in-your-face - several reasons why it appeals to many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area