Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 45,943 times

Advertisements

Hi.. I am an African American woman in her mid twenties moving to Boulder for work. I am expected to be in the area within the next week or two and I am a little worried as to what to expect from the area. I have never been to Colorado before, but I have heard great things about the state and cities like Denver and Colorado Springs. But, since I have not heard anything but a few negative things regarding racism in the Boulder area, I am a little worried. I have seen the data on the percentage of African Americans and it is considerably less than the percentage of Caucasian Americans in Boulder. I consider myself to be very laid back, moderate in views, and I pretty much keep to myself. I'm not some political junkie wanting to come in and stir things up, I just want to feel welcomed and not threatened in a new place that I live. Any type of insight would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm also trying to decide whether Boulder or Longmont is the best place to live. I will be working in both cities, traveling between both locations so insight on cost of living for both would be great... not wanting to spend more than $750 for a one bedroom, less would be great.

Thanks in advance,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM

352 posts, read 797,478 times
K,

I don't currently live in Boulder, although I lived there for about 15 years. While Boulder is not known for being a highly diverse place (I remember a friend who used to talk about B's "diversity of white people") I don't recall observing or hearing about or sensing any overt racism. Because of the presence of the University of Colorado, there are undergrads, grad students, and professors from various countries and nationalities.

It's hard to imagine that you would feel threatened there or treated in an unwelcome manner because of your race -- and I'm sure others will chime in to agree or disagree with me. If you are moving in from an area with greater racial diversity and numbers (especially a large metro urban area in the northeast or south, for instance), yes, you might be taken aback by the overall sea of white faces. But generally, people around Boulder/Longmont have a live-and-let-live approach to things, even if they don't always gush with outgoing friendliness.

As for cost of living, Longmont is, hands down, a more affordable place. Your $750 for a 1-bedroom probably won't get you much of anything in Boulder. In Longmont, you would have more options. There are a number of threads that compare the cultures and amenities of Boulder and Longmont; you might search through those in the Boulder-specific threads. Ultimately, you'll need to spend a bit of time in each area. Usually, people can discern pretty quickly whether Boulder or Longmont is their cup of tea.

Good luck with your move and congratulations on your new job! Having work in hand puts you way ahead of a lot of people considering making Colorado their home.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 PM

46 posts, read 86,889 times
Default you'll be JUST fine

Seriously, no worries!
We've been here less than a year, and have had no major signs of overt racism. 95% of the people we have encountered have been pretty friendly. The odd 'dubious' encounters probably stand out in my mind because of the stark contrast between the overwhelmingly nice people we've met. Boulder could be more diverse, but it isn't completely lacking either; you will see Latino and Asian groups here as well.
Welcome to Boulder and nice to know you will be adding to the local color around here.
bisou

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
You have nothing whatsoever to be worried about! I spent 13 years in the area and found that Boulder lives up to it's liberal sensibility reputation-wise and celebrates diversity and differences even though there's not a lot of phsyical diversity. You may feel you stand out physically if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, some of my african american friends are, some are not, but that would likely be the extent of it.

I realize it's not the same as your situation but just to share personal experience, I'm part of an interracial relationship and have mixed kiddos and never encounted any issues at any level.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM

43 posts, read 153,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimd0503 View Post
Hi.. I am an African American woman in her mid twenties moving to Boulder for work. I am expected to be in the area within the next week or two and I am a little worried as to what to expect from the area. I have never been to Colorado before, but I have heard great things about the state and cities like Denver and Colorado Springs. But, since I have not heard anything but a few negative things regarding racism in the Boulder area, I am a little worried. I have seen the data on the percentage of African Americans and it is considerably less than the percentage of Caucasian Americans in Boulder. I consider myself to be very laid back, moderate in views, and I pretty much keep to myself. I'm not some political junkie wanting to come in and stir things up, I just want to feel welcomed and not threatened in a new place that I live. Any type of insight would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm also trying to decide whether Boulder or Longmont is the best place to live. I will be working in both cities, traveling between both locations so insight on cost of living for both would be great... not wanting to spend more than $750 for a one bedroom, less would be great.

Thanks in advance,
K
Hi, I/my family are black too and moved from the South so quite the change. I will tell you that people are very friendly. They don't have at least outwardly the same sort of racial hangups. Most people mistake me for being white so I've generally heard what people really think or believe - and there's been none of that, I mean none which is a first in my entire life. People just don't seem to care what or who you are but rather if you're just an okay person. I find that refreshing. I'd love to hear your impressions once you settle. Just find your niche and you'll meet people, black, white or whatever. Also, join some professional orgs. in Denver where you will have a better opportunity to meet people of different cultures - although I think you'll be surprised at the diversity. I'll be happy to help if you want to pm me (although I'm not sure how to do that?). By the way I spent too many hours trying to decide where to live but we are in Lafayette and really love it - not sure about apartments though? Oh - and I can recommend a beauty shop - in Denver but nevertheless a really good person. Good luck

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of your comments and insights. I am definitely feeling a lot better about my decision to accept the position. I have to say that the one person I heard negative things from was the aunt of a good friend of my sister. She portrayed Boulder as an area where "blacks" in Colorado NEVER go... and I thought it was just so weird and out of the ordinary. I am actually from a smaller city in Louisiana, very close to Jena, La where not so long ago there was such a huge national outcry regarding racial controversies with the "Jena Six." I just couldn't believe that Boulder, Colorado could be any worse than what my area is. Soo.. I am very happy to hear all positive responses from everyone. I was offered a job right on the spot by two Caucasian men and I just was so baffled when my sister shared her story, because they were the friendliest and kindest of people. Nevertheless, I have accepted the job and am making plans to come that way very soon and I feel very happy about my decision.

I do have questions concerning the summer weather tho... What am I to expect and what type of clothing is worn during the spring and summer? Is it cool enough for light sweaters, should I bring a coat or two?? I'm trying not to bring my entire life with me at first and when I need other essentials I will have them sent to me, so I am trying to pack for the summer as of now.

Thanks again for all the responses.. I would love to get an idea of what people do in Boulder for fun, or is Denver the real hotspot that's near?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMOM View Post
Hi, I/my family are black too and moved from the South so quite the change. I will tell you that people are very friendly. They don't have at least outwardly the same sort of racial hangups. Most people mistake me for being white so I've generally heard what people really think or believe - and there's been none of that, I mean none which is a first in my entire life. People just don't seem to care what or who you are but rather if you're just an okay person. I find that refreshing. I'd love to hear your impressions once you settle. Just find your niche and you'll meet people, black, white or whatever. Also, join some professional orgs. in Denver where you will have a better opportunity to meet people of different cultures - although I think you'll be surprised at the diversity. I'll be happy to help if you want to pm me (although I'm not sure how to do that?). By the way I spent too many hours trying to decide where to live but we are in Lafayette and really love it - not sure about apartments though? Oh - and I can recommend a beauty shop - in Denver but nevertheless a really good person. Good luck
Thanks MeMom,

I definitely appreciate the luck and all the advice. I would love to catch up once I am all settled, but I'm not quite sure how to "pm" you.. I don't know what that is, sorry I am very new to City-Data. I am going to check out the Lafayette area, it would be very cool to live in a city in Colorado with the same name in which I have so many roots in... (Lafayette, la)

Thanks,
K

P.S. If this beauty shop is familiar in dealing with all natural curly hair, then I would love to get some info.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You have nothing whatsoever to be worried about! I spent 13 years in the area and found that Boulder lives up to it's liberal sensibility reputation-wise and celebrates diversity and differences even though there's not a lot of phsyical diversity. You may feel you stand out physically if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, some of my african american friends are, some are not, but that would likely be the extent of it.

I realize it's not the same as your situation but just to share personal experience, I'm part of an interracial relationship and have mixed kiddos and never encounted any issues at any level.
Thank you Idlewile,

Your personal experience definitely helps. I'm happy to hear good things about this area. It's making my plans to move alot more enjoyable.

Thanks,

K

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 PM

352 posts, read 797,478 times
K,

Boulder tends to be casual in dress - depending, of course, on what kind of work you'll be doing. The high-altitude sun will be very hot, so you will want to stock up on moisturizers, lip balm, and sun protection. Sandals and flip-flops will be everywhere. Jeans of all kinds, skirts of varying lengths, sundresses, tank tops with a light sweater. You'll see lots of people in athletic wear. Summer brings a tendency for hot mornings and frequent thunderstorms in the late afternoon, so think about that.

As you move into August, the evenings will start to be cool, so a light jacket will be in order. Snow can come as early as September (and actually as late as July, especially in the foothills above Boulder), but you'll be amazed to see people in shorts and flip-flops on sunny days when the temperatures are only in the high 30s or low 40s. But it's all dry, dry, dry, so you can leave the humidity and lots of bugs behind.

In Boulder, people like to visit the Pearl Street Pedestrian Mall, with shops, restaurants, street performers, music, coffee shops, lots of people-watching, etc. There is a lot of yoga, running, cycling, hiking, and other outdoor activities. The Saturday Farmer's Market is celebrating its 25th year, and it's a great place to meet people, too. Boulder Creek runs through the city and offers walking and biking paths. There will be an Asian Festival, a Jewish Festival, and other special events downtown or at the library. And, of course, movies, music, outdoor dancing in the summer months, and different events up at the U of Colorado (films, music recitals often free, etc.). Also, several rec centers with pools, workout gyms, etc, plus parks where people do all different kinds of things. A variety of churches, synagogues, Buddhist centers, for spiritual pursuits.

It's a liberal, "crunchy" kind of small city, with lots of organic food to buy and eat. Some bars and nightspots, though not a huge club scene. A great independent bookstore that's been there a long time, plus a Barnes & Noble, so book events, too.

Truly, just about anything you want. Plus, trips up to Rocky Mtn National Park and other mountain areas. Hope you can find a good place to live in your budget. Might be tough unless you look further out at Lafayette, Louisville, Longmont. (the Ls). I'm excited for you and wish you all the best in your upcoming move!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 24,250 times
I doubt you'll be discriminated against, but as a gay male, let me tell you that diversity is not apart of Boulder's culture. If you are looking for anything outside of the wealthy hippie-loving white culture, you will be sorely disappointed.

However, if you had to choose between Longmont (aka Methmont) and Boulder, I'd definitely go for Boulder. I just wish there was a little more… selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area