Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 17,225 times

Advertisements

LOL. My husband doesn't want to live in Texas, I know much more affordable but he can't take the heat.

We've also started looking in Golden.. closer to the Mtn activites and hubby thinks he can take the highway up to boulder from there. Any opinions on Golden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnikmik View Post
LOL. My husband doesn't want to live in Texas, I know much more affordable but he can't take the heat.

We've also started looking in Golden.. closer to the Mtn activites and hubby thinks he can take the highway up to boulder from there. Any opinions on Golden?
Never lived there, but DH worked in that area for ~15 years, and we live in Louisville, Boulder County. The drive from Golden to Boulder can be a b**** in the winter. 93 is windy (long "I") and windy (short "I"). Not a good road to drive on. He took Indiana St. When it was real bad, he'd take Wadsworth.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM

724 posts, read 1,935,577 times
We liked Golden for the same reasons - but its downtown is in need of a major facelift. I could see the trip up to Boulder on hwy 93 getting a bit dicey in snow and it doesn't have any lighting at night. Others who live in the area can tell you more, or perhaps there's a better route.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM

9 posts, read 15,819 times
Default 93 considered dangerous

it's a beautiful drive along the foothils between Boulder & Golden but it gets closed a few times over the winters due to high winds. Also, every wreck that happens on 93 get's cited for unsafe speed, illegal passing, and general recklessness.

Search the Daily Camera archives & read the comments to get a taste of what folks think about 93.

It was just about 2 yrs ago that an architect went missing driving home from Golden. They found his body in his car at the bottom of a Hwy 93 ravine a month later. (Greg Franta, 58, Missing 2-8-09 Boulder, CO [FOUND DECEASED] - Page 3 - Help Find The Missing)

On the flip side, the highway gets loads of traffic as easiest & quickest way to get to Golden.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnikmik View Post
My husband is working in the Boulder area now. When our house sells, we will be joining. We are moving from Iowa so looking for a decent size house 2000+ sq ft as we have 3 boys. Our price range is between 250k-350k. WE have been thinking of Erie, Broomfield.... Any recommendations for a home of this size or larger with a commute time of 30 mins or less?

Thanks for your help!
Hi, there are many good options in your price range! Louisville, the closest town to Boulder, would have many nice choices and is probably the best performing town in the county. Lafayette, Longmont, Erie and Broomfield gets you more for the money, and also have great choices.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM

724 posts, read 1,935,577 times
I don't think you'll find many 2000+ sq ft homes in Louisville for that price range. I'm happy to be told different, but we didn't see many when we were looking there. The other cities listed would have a lot more possibilities.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
I don't think you'll find many 2000+ sq ft homes in Louisville for that price range. I'm happy to be told different, but we didn't see many when we were looking there. The other cities listed would have a lot more possibilities.
I agree. I would certainly look there, though. Something might turn up. Erie has lots of young kids, something to be mindful of.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,513,843 times
Golden is a beautiful area and the commute on 93 isn't that bad MOST of the time but there are a few days every winter when it is either closed or you are going to white-knuckle it all the way.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM

93 is a nasty road when the weather is bad.

Victims in fatal Colo. 93 wreck ID'd as CU-Boulder students - Boulder Daily Camera

Indiana St. is a better alternative. My spouse took this road for ~15 years, between Louisville and Golden.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 17,225 times
Thanks so much for your help. It's very tough to find all with the criteria. We thought about renting down there when we move to try and figure it all out, but didn't really want to have to move my son to school after school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area