Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2023, 10:12 AM

12,933 posts, read 22,104,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's a problem that fewer and fewer people now are willing to get involved. If you're that one guy who speaks up, you'll likely be fighting alone. Back in the day, you want to start stuff there was a good change you'd get a piling on by multiple tough guys looking for any excuse to rough some scumbag up.
I also think it's a problem that people choose to escalate conflict when it can often be avoided entirely. Of course bystanders should get involved when they can in certain situations like medical emergencies or attacks/assaults on people who aren't capable of defending themselves (assuming the intervener isn't at high risk of injury/death). Those people can make a huge difference. But there's also a proliferation of tough guy/hero wannabes out there that create more problems than they solve. Sometimes "the one guy who speaks up" would better serve everyone by just shutting up and doing nothing. A capable, quick-thinking person can understand which scenario calls for which action (or inaction). We're short on capable, quick thinking people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 10:20 AM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
It's sad and scary that there are so many bad scenarios on the T now. Also seems like people don't really care because most times it doesn't affect them...yet these stories are in the news weekly.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:27 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I also think it's a problem that people choose to escalate conflict when it can often be avoided entirely. Of course bystanders should get involved when they can in certain situations like medical emergencies or attacks/assaults on people who aren't capable of defending themselves (assuming the intervener isn't at high risk of injury/death). Those people can make a huge difference. But there's also a proliferation of tough guy/hero wannabes out there that create more problems than they solve. Sometimes "the one guy who speaks up" would better serve everyone by just shutting up and doing nothing. A capable, quick-thinking person can understand which scenario calls for which action (or inaction). We're short on capable, quick thinking people.

This misses my point, which is that many of the bad actors would be less willing to start up in the first place if their likelihood of suffering consequences were higher. Although some of them are legit crazy and aren't going to calculate like that, most of them are cowards. I do agree that people's tact and conflict resolution skills are in the toilet these days, which is a whole other issue.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:46 AM

12,933 posts, read 22,104,360 times
Quote:
This misses my point, which is that many of the bad actors would be less willing to start up in the first place if their likelihood of suffering consequences were higher. Although some of them are legit crazy and aren't going to calculate like that, most of them are cowards. I do agree that people's tact and conflict resolution skills are in the toilet these days, which is a whole other issue.
I agree that the fear of suffering consequences would definitely deter some of the more outlandish behavior. But I don't think that fear comes from bystanders being potentially more willing to intervene or speak up in situations like the one above. I think that in many of these cases, the perpetrators are looking for conflict and the "one guy speaking up" is essentially giving the green light. We see it regularly with the ATV/motorcycle attacks. Someone honks, gestures, or moves to block them and it becomes a group beatdown instead of just a parade of obnoxious bikes. They have often strength in numbers and they sometimes have weapons. They're not too worried about you or I trying to play tough guys.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:51 PM

3,693 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree that the fear of suffering consequences would definitely deter some of the more outlandish behavior. But I don't think that fear comes from bystanders being potentially more willing to intervene or speak up in situations like the one above. I think that in many of these cases, the perpetrators are looking for conflict and the "one guy speaking up" is essentially giving the green light. We see it regularly with the ATV/motorcycle attacks. Someone honks, gestures, or moves to block them and it becomes a group beatdown instead of just a parade of obnoxious bikes. They have often strength in numbers and they sometimes have weapons. They're not too worried about you or I trying to play tough guys.
Today I looked in my rear view mirror and there was a guy in a pickup barreling down a 35 mph road (probably doing 50mph) until he got right behind me and swerving. This was one of those instances where I put my blinker, pulled off to the side and let the guy go by b/c I didn't want to deal with bad anger management issues behind me. I could have honked or dealt with him tailgating me (I usually do) but the way this one was driving I could tell he was probably an absolute nutcase and there's no telling what some of these people will do anymore!

Old 04-23-2023, 05:01 AM

17,864 posts, read 9,304,638 times
Man found shot to death in car that crashed on Dedham Street in Hyde Park

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...reet-hyde-park

^ Murder #13 in Boston in 2023

Old 04-23-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Man found shot to death in car that crashed on Dedham Street in Hyde Park

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...reet-hyde-park

^ Murder #13 in Boston in 2023
Update:

Another person involved in this Hyde Park shooting has died. So it's murder #13 and #14 in Boston in 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHmRmFyhOQ

Old 04-25-2023, 04:18 PM

This happened on Easter Sunday.

580 Cummins Hwy in Mattapan.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/4udrHmqpMyfA8nWG6

Mattapan boy hit by stray bullet says he's afraid to go home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUYM7oTfGPk

Old 04-27-2023, 10:25 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Surprising nobody posted this (Maverick Square in Eastie).

Police say two young teens got up before dawn to smash into a Maverick Square phone repair shop, then returned an hour later to steal even more phones

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...smash-maverick

Old 04-27-2023, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Surprising nobody posted this (Maverick Square in Eastie).

Police say two young teens got up before dawn to smash into a Maverick Square phone repair shop, then returned an hour later to steal even more phones

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...smash-maverick
Across the street from the T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston