Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 AM

262 posts, read 1,232,369 times

Advertisements

I normally don't watch horror movies. The most recent movie I saw that was somewhat scary was The Sixth Sense. It wasn't too bad while I watched it but it stayed with me for days.

Anyone else care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:11 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
you gotta see "the Descent".It is scary.......in a number of ways.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Default Scary movies from the past

Here's a few that still send chills up and down the spine.

Repulsion - a 1965 Roman Polanski film starring Catherine Deneuve as a young woman visualization of her mental collapse. Not classified as horror film but has a creepy atmosphere and when I think of scary this film always come to mind.

The original Psycho starring Anthony Perkins. Do I need to mention the shower scene?

A Handmaiden's Tale - A futuristic fable wherein far right ideals have been carried to extremes. A monotheistic government has been instituted. Women are strictly controlled and divided into classes. And, I thought the original 'Stepford Wives' was chilling. I also read the book version authored by Margaret Atwood.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
When it comes to scary movies, I prefer tension and suspense to blood and guts. However, the movies I picked are not without a bit of gore here and there.

The original The Haunting. Mental instability, a creepy old house, and evil spirits--definitely can haunt a person.

The Changeling. (based on a true story that happened in Denver.)
It's the only time I ever really saw my husband jump in his seat at a theater.

Jaws Yes there is blood and teeth and all that good stuff, but to me the scariest parts are when the camera is moving along from the shark's point of view.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
I ditto "The Descent". It's been a long time since I saw a movie that made me grab someone...but that one did!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:29 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
The Ring...both the Japanese and American versions...
Jeepers. I watched the Japanese one in a restaurant in the Philippines and it was all in Japanese. Even so, I almost wet my pants.
The English version, where the dead girl with her wet hair hanging in front of her face who crawls out of the tv set... I left biological matter in my underwear.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
The Ring...both the Japanese and American versions...
Jeepers. I watched the Japanese one in a restaurant in the Philippines and it was all in Japanese. Even so, I almost wet my pants.
The English version, where the dead girl with her wet hair hanging in front of her face who crawls out of the tv set... I left biological matter in my underwear.
[little girl whisper]
Seven days....
[/little girl whisper]

The Ring scared me to death, too. But the Japanese verstion did not get to me as badly.

Another favorite: Carnival of Souls. It was The Sixth Sense long before that movie was ever made.

A movie which for me does *not* stand the test of time: The Exorcist.
I watched it with my kids and it seemed hokey and outdated.

Stephen King's It and The Shining are pretty good though.
Those twins....

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
Chill bumps.... great movies you guys!

What about Hellraiser? Ugh, freaks me out in the middle of the day.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 AM

250 posts, read 932,858 times
OMG the Changling, I thought I was the only one who saw that movie yes it was scary.

But for me the topper is the Exorcism of Emily Rose, it made the hair on my arms and legs stand straight up!!!

Runners up are Seven and 28 days later!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
28 Days Later is one of the most frightening films I've ever seen!

An oldie but goodie, Night of the Hunter. Still creeps me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies