Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I've just been offered a job in Birmingham the place is located downtown off 5th st, i currently live with my fiance in Charleston Sc she is very attached to the city, style and beach. but i could go both ways, so i was wondering if i can get some ideas of that the city is like.

2nd thing would be we're a looking at apts but have no idea what areas of town are nice i would love downtown but nice safe areas where she could walk and be safe and she likes more of suburban but anything would work.
so we appreciate the input in advance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 169,483 times
I am originally from Alabama in a town called Anniston which is about an hour from Birmingham,I have never lived in Birmingham so I can't really help you with the apartment part,but only recommend what I know about parts of the city, if your Fiance likes the city then she will like Birmingham she will just have to kiss the beach goodbye.
There are parts of B-Ham that are pretty sketchy and highly dangerous,I would defenitley do my research on where to live.
It's a fairly descent sized city,lots of shopping,resturants and things to do.
I recommend Homewood ... safe and only five minutes from downtown.

Birmingham is indeed loaded with bars and restaurants.
There's an abundance of live music and tons of golf courses.

Southside neighborhood is also a great place to look into.

Here is a post from this website on great links for the area.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birmi...ful-links.html

Good Luck!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:44 PM

234 posts, read 708,352 times
I think she'd definitely like Birmingham. The CBD is actually one of the safer parts of town, it's just the fringes of downtown that are rather unsafe. As the above forumer suggested, Homewood would probably be an excellent choice. Home prices and rent is great at the moment. It's very convenient, safe, and highly walkable. Another plus is that Homewood has that "Southern downtown" feel to it, much like Charleston does.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
B'ham is great- and there are great places to rent around Highland ave and Forest Park - nice old part of B'ham- you are only a little over 4 hours from the beach so if the money's worth it I say go for it- wanted to live in Charleston after college but have been here ever since!!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Homewood is a nice, central location. But if you're looking for an apartment, there are a lot of bad ones is Homewood and adjacent to Homewood. Stay away from anything on or near Valley Avenue/Oxmoor Road.

Nicer suburban apartments you'll find in Hoover, but look for a complex built in the last 10-15 years, and stay away from Lorna Road.

If you're not bent on having central heat and air, consider Redmont Gardens. This is a complex from, I think, the '30s, in English Village --- one of the three "villages" that are the commercial districts in Mtn. Brook, the toniest suburb. Rents were high there way back when and probably still are, but you get hardwoods and Mtn. Brook. Very safe, nice walking in the neighborhood.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:22 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
I live in a great townhome in Vestavia on highway 31, 1420sq, and it is only just over $800 per month.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,611 times
Hi, jakabedy. Would you please tell us a little more about why we should stay away from Valley Avenue/Oxmoor Road? I am thinking about buy a house around there. Thanks,

Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM

oldclifford -

I was speaking in generalities regarding apartment complexes for someone not familiar with the city. I think we can all agree that those on Valley Avenue are to be avoided, as are those on West Valley/West Oxmoor/Robert Jemison Drive. There are some nicer ones near Lakeshore, but if someone is going to get online and sign a 1-year lease sight-unseen, my recommendation is to steer clear of the Homewood area entirely lest you not choose one of the few good apples in the basket.

The rules are different for houses. As you know, Valley Avenue as it passes Vulcan becomes, is it 21st Avenue South? And that area is known as "Diaper Row" which translates into "where young well-heeled families start out because it is adjacent to Mtn. Brook but cheaper because it is in B'ham and they will move to Mtn. Brook anyway when the kids turn 5 and start school."

Oxmoor Road runs the gamut. West of I-65 it is still Homewood, but smaller 1950s cottages in the flood plain. It is also nearer some rougher apartments and rougher areas of town. It's a way to get into Homewood, though, if price is a consideration. But your kids will go to Hall-Kent, which is the least-preferred of the Homewood elementary schools. Head east and cross over Green Springs and Oxmoor runs through Edgewood and then Hollywood (becomes Hollywood Blvd) -- the best and most expensive Homewood areas. So it really all depends on where you are on the street.

I guess, to sum all that up, buying a house in that area is different from renting an apartment in that area. But if you can tell me the general vicinity of the house, I can give you my opinion.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,611 times
Hi, jakabedy:

Wow, you are the know-all person! Actually I am also planning to relocate to Birmingham in several months. From some similar thread I think Homewood will be a nice to place, since I do not have kids at school age (phew). But from your posts I learned that even different areas in Homewood are not the same. Thanks, your post is quite informative.
The reason I asked about Oxmoor is that I searched some realtor website and found there are quite a few new-build houses. However, when I check google map, it turned out the place is OXmoor glen rather than Oxmoor road. Do you have any idea about this area?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:08 PM

Don't do Oxmoor Glen. That is a newer housing development to the west of Homewood and has nice homes, but it is NOT Homewood. I think it is actually in Birmingham city limits.

The trick to that area (often called "Oxmoor Valley") and why they built new houses there in the first place is because of the Vestavia Hills school system just over the mountain. Vestavia Hills was part of a consent decree back in the day that required them to take in a certain number of minority students from a certain geographic area: the semi-rural and historically black area where these recent developments have gone in. However, in the last year or so, Vestavia has gotten out from under that and I think they are taking only siblings of currently-enrolled students, or something like that and the wholedeal will taper off in a few years. That's why those houses are sitting there unsold.

ps - I just searched for houses in Oxmoor Glen and indeed they are not zoned for Homewood or Vestavia, but for Wenonoah High School (Birmingham City). I know you don't have kids, but resale will be a big issue when you want to get $200K for a house zoned for Wenonah.

So make sure that any house you see is actually in the city limits of Homewood. If you're looking in the under 200K range and want Homewood, you will have to look hard. If you'll consider condos or townhouses you'll have better luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area