Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,399,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Don't do Oxmoor Glen. That is a newer housing development to the west of Homewood and has nice homes, but it is NOT Homewood. I think it is actually in Birmingham city limits.

The trick to that area (often called "Oxmoor Valley") and why they built new houses there in the first place is because of the Vestavia Hills school system just over the mountain. Vestavia Hills was part of a consent decree back in the day that required them to take in a certain number of minority students from a certain geographic area: the semi-rural and historically black area where these recent developments have gone in. However, in the last year or so, Vestavia has gotten out from under that and I think they are taking only siblings of currently-enrolled students, or something like that and the wholedeal will taper off in a few years. That's why those houses are sitting there unsold.

ps - I just searched for houses in Oxmoor Glen and indeed they are not zoned for Homewood or Vestavia, but for Wenonoah High School (Birmingham City). I know you don't have kids, but resale will be a big issue when you want to get $200K for a house zoned for Wenonah.

So make sure that any house you see is actually in the city limits of Homewood. If you're looking in the under 200K range and want Homewood, you will have to look hard. If you'll consider condos or townhouses you'll have better luck.
Well, parts of Oxmoor Valley are zoned for Hoover schools, which are really good. So you just need to be careful where you buy. That being said, living inside the Birmingham City limits is great as long as you don't have to deal with the atrocious public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM

1,575 posts, read 3,310,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, parts of Oxmoor Valley are zoned for Hoover schools, which are really good. So you just need to be careful where you buy. That being said, living inside the Birmingham City limits is great as long as you don't have to deal with the atrocious public schools.
That's true. You're talking about Ross Bridge and some areas around there, I think. But Ross Bridge is IN Hoover, not just zoned for Hoover Schools. I just didn't want Clifford to move to what he thought was Homewood and plunk down 200K for a house (up to 380K in Oxmoor Ridge!) only to learn it's really Birmingham. Hoover is fine, too. I was just confining my comments to the Oxmoor Glen/Oxmoor Ridge area, which (if you ask me) is a bit shady in its marketing.

I'm not anti-Birmingham at all. I lived in Birmingham for years -- Roebuck Springs, Crestwood -- and loved it. I was even a neighborhood officer! But if I'm spending 200K+ in the city of Birmingham I'm going to be in an historic home or a new condo in Crestwood or Highland/Forest Park area -- not out in Oxmoor Valley in new construction. The resale market for Crestwood/Highland/Forest Park will always be there. I wouldn't be too sure about that Oxmoor Glen/Oxmoor Ridge area area.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,646 times
Got it!Really appreciate your answers. You are correct, it is kinda hard to find a house in Homewood under 200K. Maybe townhouse is a better choice then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area