Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 08:58 AM

10,528 posts, read 7,201,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I'm not trying to be cynical, but how many hotels can one city have? Every new commercial development I've read about says the same thing, "mix of residential rental units, commercial, retail, and hotel". I have read about at least 5 or 6 new hotels already in the works in Birmingham. Who is staying at these hotels? The prices per night on the new properties is outrageous.

I'm pretty sure that large hotel chains do not spend tens of millions of dollars to build hotels that will be vacant. They analyze the numbers to death. If the numbers didn't support it, they wouldn't build. And the per night on the new properties reflect demand, not a lack thereof.

The other thing? The current downtown momentum signals that there will be heightened demand in the future.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 07-01-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:03 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,510,881 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be cynical, but how many hotels can one city have? Every new commercial development I've read about says the same thing, "mix of residential rental units, commercial, retail, and hotel". I have read about at least 5 or 6 new hotels already in the works in Birmingham. Who is staying at these hotels? The prices per night on the new properties is outrageous.
Out of state/city travelers for business, conferences, conventions, and leisurely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I have a close friend who works in that industry. He works exclusively for Hilton Brands and is in charge of a team for North America that places corp properties that are later sold off to investors to operate as a franchise. When he and I chat about this market he still states that statistically Birmingham as a metro is underserved by their metrics, which is why he's been procuring development sites for the city since 2015.

I don't know much about the hotel industry but I spend about 150 nights a year in hotels and notice trends all over the US and Canada. Typically the science is pretty sound, as the occupancy rate here is typically very high. I have clients who come here regularly and there are times where there are simply no rooms available in the downtown area.
This is correct. Birmingham is vastly underserved indeed on the number of hotel rooms. It's obvious that Birmingham City Center can support 2,500 to 3,000 hotel rooms. There is a growing demand for more not less.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:43 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,531,564 times
Quote:
You live in Birmingham so you don't know what it's like to try to find a room there.
THE 'HAM NEEDS MORE HOTELS!
You have either totally crappy or high price. I try to find something around $100 to $150 a night. That should get you an Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, a good Comfort/Quality Inn, maybe a Home2Suites - nice safe place, clean, interior entrances, breakfast included. In Birmingham that type of hotel is closer to $185 to $250! And that's normally, not during Talladega races.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM

10,528 posts, read 7,201,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
I'm coming to town July 12-14 and just checked hotels at Hotels.com and plenty of availability in the best parts of town well in that price range:

Westin 229
Sheratin 216
Hampton Inn DT 187
Redmont 301
Elyton 254
John Hand 149
Springhill SS 144
Hilton Garden Inn SS 134
Courtyard UAB 139
Hilton UAB 118
Residence Inn UAB 166
Homewood Suites UAB 152
Hotel Indigo UAB 126
Embassy Suites 157
Grand Bohemian 329
Hampton Inn Mtn Brook 98
Aloft Soho 168
Courtyard Homewood 169
Hampton Inn Colonnade 116
Fairfield Inn Colonnade 154
Courtyard Colonnade 134
Country Inn Colonnade 132
Home 2 Hilton Colonnade 157
DoubleTree Colonnade 118
Drury Inn Colonnade 130
Extended Stay Colonnade 78
Marriott 280 145

True. But it's not a peak week.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 PM

685 posts, read 539,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
True. But it's not a peak week.
Yep, I think i wasted a post. I checked other cities and they're dirt cheap that weekend too. Note: everyone travel the weekend of July 12-14!

Looking deeper, there seems to be decent validity to Bham being underserved if prices are indicative.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 AM

157 posts, read 157,930 times
CLEAR opens today at BHM. For those who travel like myself, that is welcomed news! The PreCheck line has become as long as the general TSA line for the first few hours of the day.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 AM

69 posts, read 71,493 times
To the person that posted about the Big 3, I think that professional basketball �� could turn into something for Birmingham. The Grizzlies/Rockets game at the BJCC last year had like 16,000 people attend. And then there is the G-League team that will be playing permanently here. Many people would say why is another minor league team exciting. 1) Bham has a history of supporting minor league teams 2) with Birmingham’s demographics and the fact that Legacy after the renovation will be the nicest G-League arena, I could easily see 10,000 people coming to a game. Having at least one pro team is big in the perception of a city. Memphis and New Orleans are about the same size as Birmingham. But they have pro sports so they are assumed to be larger, more prominent. I was extremely excited about the G League team for this reason.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:55 AM

380 posts, read 350,078 times
Another nice addition to the growing list of tech startups to call Birmingham home. The owner of Prepaid2Cash mentioned he was impressed with the resources the city offered to startups. More proof Birmingham is on the right track and should continue to be aggressive in tech and startups.

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/07/23/new-...rs-birmingham/

Old 07-25-2019, 05:20 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
Another nice addition to the growing list of tech startups to call Birmingham home. The owner of Prepaid2Cash mentioned he was impressed with the resources the city offered to startups. More proof Birmingham is on the right track and should continue to be aggressive in tech and startups.

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/07/23/new-...rs-birmingham/
Just imagine had our state government not passed that abortion bill.....I think it would be atleast 2 more tech companies that would have relocated to the city for their headquarters...

Old 07-25-2019, 10:25 PM

306 posts, read 342,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Just imagine had our state government not passed that abortion bill.....I think it would be atleast 2 more tech companies that would have relocated to the city for their headquarters...
Likely a lot more. That bill dumped cold water on a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area