Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM

187 posts, read 217,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanstrength View Post
Again people want more urban growth an jobs in birmingham.
Agreed. You're not going to attract Fortune 500 just yet but you might attract midsize companies looking to make it big and save a buck. Those kinds of companies that don't require being in an international business hub.

The problem is, those companies come, grow some, then move.

I think you should start by bringing the best well established companies back to DT like Vulcan Materials, Drummund, etc. They're way out in the rural country called Liberty Park which hasn't changed or grown since it was built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,919,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson1237 View Post
I think you should start by bringing the best well established companies back to DT like Vulcan Materials, Drummund, etc. They're way out in the rural country called Liberty Park which hasn't changed or grown since it was built.
Reality check. Liberty Park isnt "way out" or "rural country" by any stretch of the imagination and as far as not changing or growing Healthsouth is building their new HQ there in the part of LP that is inside Birmingham city limits. Not to mention the new homes, the new retail that have been added over the years. Significant growth and change there.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:15 PM

What new retail? I worked in LP for 5 years but not in the past 4 years. When I was there there was DQ, Billys, Anytime Fitness, some smaller joints like Dr. offices etc kinda in the back but no "retail". There wasn't even a gas station until Grants Mill or 280. Oh yeah and Piggly which was nice.

When I say way out, it's not part of the Bham footprint that makes Bham feel like a big city. It's hidden out of the way. I'm saying there's a lot there, that I think, should be or could be closer-in to assist in the "urban" feel you're looking for. I think Drummond and Vulcan would be HUGE assets to downtown/southside. I think it's a waste being in LP personally.

I was being facetious saying it was rural but working out there really felt rural. We always complained that 280 was soooo far away. My cousin still lives there and they want to move closer in because it just never developed like they were told. Same with the Grants Mill area.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Also, isn't most of LP zoned Vestavia? You're saying that Healthsouth is putting their new HQ in LP and it will be Bham? I have not heard that yet. Where's their current HQ?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
Quote:
Also, isn't most of LP zoned Vestavia? You're saying that Healthsouth is putting their new HQ in LP and it will be Bham? I have not heard that yet. Where's their current HQ?
HealthSouth moving headquarters to Liberty Park | AL.com

Some of Liberty Park is in Birmingham.....

Old 04-06-2017, 12:34 PM

987 posts, read 895,762 times
Regions Field in downtown Birmingham to host 2018 Southern League All-Star Game.

WBRC: Top Stories
WBRC : Barons, Regions Field to host 2018 Southern League All-Star Game

Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,301,117 times
Quote:

Their current HQ is off 280, next to the Grandview Medical Center. Also technically in the City of Birmingham.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Their current HQ is off 280, next to the Grandview Medical Center. Also technically in the City of Birmingham.
Ok cool. I still loathe the idea of building in LP. They employ a decent amount of younger professionals and none of them live out there. Again, I worked out there for 5 years and it was soooo boring. Nothing to do during lunch (you can only do Billys so much and the other decent place in the back closed).

Maybe HS will bring new business to the area.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,825,984 times
Quote:
Ok cool. I still loathe the idea of building in LP. They employ a decent amount of younger professionals and none of them live out there. Again, I worked out there for 5 years and it was soooo boring. Nothing to do during lunch (you can only do Billys so much and the other decent place in the back closed).

Maybe HS will bring new business to the area.
Liberty Park is pretty boring, but it's also only 1 exit from the 280 exit (Colonnade, Summit)

Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Liberty Park is pretty boring, but it's also only 1 exit from the 280 exit (Colonnade, Summit)
Agree but that's one long stretch of interstate just to get to 280, JUST to get to a gas station. You have to fight a shopping mall to get to decent food. The only decent food the other way down 280 isn't until you get to Inverness.

I'm just saying that, when you work out there for a while, you get really frustrated having to get on 459, go way down 280 etc.. Trying to do this during an hour lunch is impossible. So you just learn to not go out to eat for lunch which is a TRAGEDY ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area