Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 02:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,304,525 times

Advertisements

Charlottesville (VA) and Boulder (CO) have some good examples:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I read recently that The Eagles are coming to the BJCC. Anybody going? I think I saw the lowest price ticket was $199, which is too rich for my blood just to see a concert. I like their music but not that much.
Not really my thing, but it does look it's almost sold out (based on the tickets available for selection on Ticketmaster). I love concerts, but I agree $199 is pretty crazy as a starting point. Seems people are willing to pay it, though. I'm guessing The Eagles don't tour much (or often) these days? That combined with the small number of shows (only 6 in the US apparently) is probably helping justify those prices, as people will be coming from around the region.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:35 PM

13,461 posts, read 9,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Not really my thing, but it does look it's almost sold out (based on the tickets available for selection on Ticketmaster). I love concerts, but I agree $199 is pretty crazy as a starting point. Seems people are willing to pay it, though. I'm guessing The Eagles don't tour much (or often) these days? That combined with the small number of shows (only 6 in the US apparently) is probably helping justify those prices, as people will be coming from around the region.
When I go to a concert or other event, I avoid Ticketmaster and instead go directly to the box office at the venue. Ticketmaster charges outrageous fees, and I read recently that it will be illegal for their (and similar companies) bots buy the good seats just as sales open and before a normal consumer has a chance to buy. Good tickets are available at the box office if you buy far enough in advance.

Also read that some of Adele's tickets were going for as high as $40,000 on the secondary market. I'll just buy an album.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:47 PM

930 posts, read 648,465 times
Quote:

I’m hoping one day we do the same thing with Dauphin Street, we already close down the street often for various events

Old 08-29-2022, 05:40 PM

1,032 posts, read 681,204 times
Quote:
Yeah we need that. Might put a ceremonial/display street car in the middle of that if there's room.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:57 PM

Some photos I took from this year's Sidewalk Film Festival (including one of the cool rooftop parties):

Old 08-30-2022, 07:57 AM

685 posts, read 540,457 times
Quote:

I love these but tbh, they have "white people" written all over it. I don't know that Birmingham has the make-up for something like this.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:29 PM

i think it could work at a smaller scale. close off 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. repave with brick or concrete to create a plaza feel, and add seating, landscaping, trees, planters, etc. it doesn't need to be a long pedestrian "mall", but just a gathering place downtown with restaurants / bars / shops (which, like i said, we need a critical mass of first).

Old 08-30-2022, 03:52 PM

13,461 posts, read 9,971,216 times
Quote:
i think it could work at a smaller scale. close off 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. repave with brick or concrete to create a plaza feel, and add seating, landscaping, trees, planters, etc. it doesn't need to be a long pedestrian "mall", but just a gathering place downtown with restaurants / bars / shops (which, like i said, we need a critical mass of first).
Regarding your pictures above - they don't make theaters like they used to, huh. That's a beautiful place.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:42 PM

575 posts, read 596,974 times
Quote:
i think it could work at a smaller scale. close off 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. repave with brick or concrete to create a plaza feel, and add seating, landscaping, trees, planters, etc. it doesn't need to be a long pedestrian "mall", but just a gathering place downtown with restaurants / bars / shops (which, like I said, we need a critical mass of first).
If you want imagery for a smaller scale, use Knoxville's Market Square. That said, I think Morris Avenue might be an easier sell. The issue with 20th is that it's one of the few streets that you can drive south out of town.

Plus it ends near a spot where an elevated (stupid trains) walking path could more easily connect Sloss to downtown (Definitely a bit biased; the view of the city from the elevated Red Mountain Expressway near 1st Avenue N is my favorite view of the city. I'd love an opportunity to not have to be riding a car to see it.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area