Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 09:41 AM

1,032 posts, read 679,557 times

Advertisements

Nice. What a great headline for a wet and gloomy morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 09:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 679,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamblazer View Post
Bill Smith is still pretty young. Given his success at Shipt and now Landing, I wonder if he might be in a position to eventually become a Daddy Warbucks type person for Birmingham. Most big cities have at least one very wealthy person that brings their financial weight to bear for the city's benefit. Things like buying a pro sports franchise and moving them here, donating huge sums of money to arts/culture institutions, etc. He seems passionate about Birmingham and seeing it grow. We already have that to a degree via Raymond Harbert, but could always use more.
Don't forget George Barber who gave us Barber Motorsports Park. If they all decided to go in together and upgrade the G-League team to full NBA status (and the league wanted to exoand), that wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
34 new electric charging stations coming to the Birmingham metro, plus more along the I-20 corridor.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/gov-i...nts-in-alabama

Old 06-10-2021, 01:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,261,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i had wondered if this was a possibility. and, given the success of Shipt starting up here, was surprised he launched it in SF to begin with.

Shipt founder’s Landing relocating from California to Birmingham, bringing 816 jobs

Bill Smith’s newest creation is coming to Alabama.

Landing, the nationwide membership network of fully-furnished apartments, is relocating its headquarters from San Francisco to Birmingham.

The company also plans to create 816 new full-time jobs as it continues to grow in a time when housing is at a premium nationwide.

Gov. Kay Ivey announced the move this morning.

“This is great news for Birmingham and for the entire state because it shows that we have the workforce and capabilities needed by a cutting-edge company that is blazing new trails,” Ivey said.

Landing’s new headquarters will be located in downtown Birmingham at the John Hand Building. People interested in applying for jobs can visit the website.

Smith, the creator of Birmingham-based Shipt, founded Landing in late 2019 as a startup targeted at supplying housing needs for on-the-go professionals.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic began with the need for remote work, the company has seen exponential growth, surging from operating in nine cities a year ago to more than 80. Its seen 1,250% growth in a year’s time.

Landing offers a flexible membership leasing model for fully-furnished apartments. with on-call concierge service and housekeeping through an app.

For an annual membership fee of $199, Landing members can access fully-furnished one and two-bedroom apartments in urban centers, without strict leases, security deposits, utility set-ups or furniture moving. It offers more than 10,000 available apartments nationwide.

Birmingham Business Alliance CEO Ron Kitchens said the move “will undoubtedly be one of the largest headquarter relocations in the nation this year.”

Landing’s move is made possible by a partnership between the state, Jefferson County and the City of Birmingham. According to an announcement from Ivey’s offices, state officials committed funds through the Alabama Jobs Act and training services through AIDT, the state’s primary workforce development agency.

Pending approval by the Birmingham City Council, the City of Birmingham has committed funds through its Talent Investment Program (TIP), Talent Acceleration Program (TAP), and Talent Optimization Program (TOP) – programs aimed at professional skill development, hiring local talent, and attracting talent.

Jefferson County has committed funds tied to new job creation, pending approval by the county commission. Those totals were not disclosed in this morning’s announcement.

“As a Birmingham native, relocating our headquarters and expanding our Alabama team was a natural transition,” Smith said.

“I’m excited by the opportunity to continue to scale Landing and bring new jobs and economic opportunities to my community. As we continue to expand across the country, we’re committed to the vibrant cities we operate in and will strive to have a positive impact on all of Landing’s communities.”

An analysis by the Alabama Department of Commerce estimates Landing’s relocation and expansion project over 20 years will create a total new payroll of $1.3 billion, bringing in $112 million in state revenue and a 356% return on investment to the state.

Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin said Landing’s arrival “couldn’t come at a better time.”

“As our city continues to rebound from the COVID-19 pandemic, the new jobs and revenue Landing will bring to our community will be a boost to our recovery efforts,” he said.

“The financial incentive we offer, pending the City Council’s approval, will help to hire and train our citizens for the more than 800 new jobs, and the revenue generated by the project will provide funding for city schools and infrastructure.”

Jefferson County Commissioner Steve Ammons, Chairman of the County Commission’s Economic Development Committee, said the move is an “example of how we are working together toward common goals and improving the access to quality jobs at an above-average wage.”
Congrats to y’all, nice to see more growth

Old 06-10-2021, 02:12 PM

136 posts, read 121,058 times
That’s some huge news for B’ham!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,261,433 times
So, I recently got into Jack's up here in Tuscaloosa. After my 4th time eating there, I realized that Mobile doesn't have one, so I assumed that it was a regional restaurant. Looked it up and turns out I was right. its a Birmingham Restaurant Chain with a whopping 200 restaurants in a pretty significant chunk of the South. So I gotta ask (Although I know that I may not get one) why hasn't such a big chain not incorporated itself in the Bay Area market?

Old 06-10-2021, 07:17 PM

10,528 posts, read 7,201,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
So, I recently got into Jack's up here in Tuscaloosa. After my 4th time eating there, I realized that Mobile doesn't have one, so I assumed that it was a regional restaurant. Looked it up and turns out I was right. its a Birmingham Restaurant Chain with a whopping 200 restaurants in a pretty significant chunk of the South. So I gotta ask (Although I know that I may not get one) why hasn't such a big chain not incorporated itself in the Bay Area market?

Dunno. But I love me some Jacks. Although I'm seriously pissed that they stopped serving the pork chop biscuits.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:31 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,301,117 times
looks like Google Maps / Earth (the 2D view) has been updated fairly recently (within the last few months based on the stadium, arena and parkside projects). nice to see the stadium finally show up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5136.../data=!3m1!1e3

wish they'd update the 3D views... those are OOOOOOLD

Old 06-10-2021, 09:14 PM

522 posts, read 855,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I have family in Atmore, and I was shocked to hear that they are getting Jack’s. Send us Foosackly’s or Raising Caines!

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/alabama...0c686.amp.html

Old 06-10-2021, 09:19 PM

522 posts, read 855,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i had wondered if this was a possibility. and, given the success of Shipt starting up here, was surprised he launched it in SF to begin with.

Shipt founder’s Landing relocating from California to Birmingham, bringing 816 jobs

Bill Smith’s newest creation is coming to Alabama.

Landing, the nationwide membership network of fully-furnished apartments, is relocating its headquarters from San Francisco to Birmingham.

The company also plans to create 816 new full-time jobs as it continues to grow in a time when housing is at a premium nationwide.

Gov. Kay Ivey announced the move this morning.

“This is great news for Birmingham and for the entire state because it shows that we have the workforce and capabilities needed by a cutting-edge company that is blazing new trails,” Ivey said.

Landing’s new headquarters will be located in downtown Birmingham at the John Hand Building. People interested in applying for jobs can visit the website.

Smith, the creator of Birmingham-based Shipt, founded Landing in late 2019 as a startup targeted at supplying housing needs for on-the-go professionals.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic began with the need for remote work, the company has seen exponential growth, surging from operating in nine cities a year ago to more than 80. Its seen 1,250% growth in a year’s time.

Landing offers a flexible membership leasing model for fully-furnished apartments. with on-call concierge service and housekeeping through an app.

For an annual membership fee of $199, Landing members can access fully-furnished one and two-bedroom apartments in urban centers, without strict leases, security deposits, utility set-ups or furniture moving. It offers more than 10,000 available apartments nationwide.

Birmingham Business Alliance CEO Ron Kitchens said the move “will undoubtedly be one of the largest headquarter relocations in the nation this year.”

Landing’s move is made possible by a partnership between the state, Jefferson County and the City of Birmingham. According to an announcement from Ivey’s offices, state officials committed funds through the Alabama Jobs Act and training services through AIDT, the state’s primary workforce development agency.

Pending approval by the Birmingham City Council, the City of Birmingham has committed funds through its Talent Investment Program (TIP), Talent Acceleration Program (TAP), and Talent Optimization Program (TOP) – programs aimed at professional skill development, hiring local talent, and attracting talent.

Jefferson County has committed funds tied to new job creation, pending approval by the county commission. Those totals were not disclosed in this morning’s announcement.

“As a Birmingham native, relocating our headquarters and expanding our Alabama team was a natural transition,” Smith said.

“I’m excited by the opportunity to continue to scale Landing and bring new jobs and economic opportunities to my community. As we continue to expand across the country, we’re committed to the vibrant cities we operate in and will strive to have a positive impact on all of Landing’s communities.”

An analysis by the Alabama Department of Commerce estimates Landing’s relocation and expansion project over 20 years will create a total new payroll of $1.3 billion, bringing in $112 million in state revenue and a 356% return on investment to the state.

Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin said Landing’s arrival “couldn’t come at a better time.”

“As our city continues to rebound from the COVID-19 pandemic, the new jobs and revenue Landing will bring to our community will be a boost to our recovery efforts,” he said.

“The financial incentive we offer, pending the City Council’s approval, will help to hire and train our citizens for the more than 800 new jobs, and the revenue generated by the project will provide funding for city schools and infrastructure.”

Jefferson County Commissioner Steve Ammons, Chairman of the County Commission’s Economic Development Committee, said the move is an “example of how we are working together toward common goals and improving the access to quality jobs at an above-average wage.”
Hopefully, we will get some West Coasters, who are wanting a change of scenery or a less expensive place to live. This will help to fill some of those new apartments/condos/townhomes being built. Downtown has definitely improved over the past years to appeal to the lifestyle of people from larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area