Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 PM

10,528 posts, read 7,198,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Didn't they have a first and second round men's regional there sometime in the early 2000s? I seem to remember that my team was upset by a Butler team ....

I'd like to see B'ham pull the women's tournament from Greenville. For one thing, it would get it out of ACC country (South Carolina notwithstanding for whom it's basically a home game), but another, it would be more centrally located for most.

Birmingham was pretty much a regular hosting the NCAA tourneys through the 80s and 90s. But the BJCC got long in the tooth. These idiots who are griping about the cost of the upgrades have no idea how much revenue it has cost this metro to not update. Thank God we're shaking off this penny wise, pound foolish mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
https://twitter.com/BHMAirport/statu...31738830233600

Vegas is back...!!!

Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post

That was a great flight. So glad it's back.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,300,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Didn't they have a first and second round men's regional there sometime in the early 2000s? I seem to remember that my team was upset by a Butler team ....

I'd like to see B'ham pull the women's tournament from Greenville. For one thing, it would get it out of ACC country (South Carolina notwithstanding for whom it's basically a home game), but another, it would be more centrally located for most.
Yep. I think we were the dreaded 5/12 matchup

Old 01-29-2020, 08:31 AM

346 posts, read 272,717 times
New brand has been unveiled for the Innovation district:

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh..._news_headline

"A new brand has been unveiled for Birmingham's innovation district.

The district, which organizers envision as the epicenter for innovation and entrepreneurship, will now be known as The Switch – a name that draws on the area's history as a railroad switchyard, but also gives a nod to the evolution of the local economy.

“Entrepreneurs and startups are building a new economy in Birmingham,” said University of Alabama at Birmingham President Ray L. Watts, who chairs Innovation Depot’s board of directors. “This city’s educational institutions, corporations, governmental organizations and others in the ecosystem are committed to helping them succeed. The Switch will provide a place for people, ideas and resources to come together and create a destination for innovation in our community.”

The Switch includes several blocks around Innovation Depot and also connects to the Civil Rights District and the Fourth Avenue Business District, two other areas that are being targeted for redevelopment activity.

REV Birmingham, UAB and Birmingham Business Alliance are leading The Switch initiative. Many more partners have been involved in the planning and launch, including Alabama Capital Network, Alabama Power Co., Birmingham Bound, Central Six, AlabamaWorks!, City of Birmingham, Innovate Birmingham, Innovation Depot, Shipt, Tech Birmingham, Urban Impact and Venture for America."

Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 AM

157 posts, read 157,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Birmingham was pretty much a regular hosting the NCAA tourneys through the 80s and 90s. But the BJCC got long in the tooth. These idiots who are griping about the cost of the upgrades have no idea how much revenue it has cost this metro to not update. Thank God we're shaking off this penny wise, pound foolish mentality.

I have never understood why anyone would resist any tourism revenue as a politician. Blows my mind!

Old 01-29-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post
I have never understood why anyone would resist any tourism revenue as a politician. Blows my mind!
Agreed. I also think tourism revenue has a lot of additional benefits that people don't talk about as much, like people having a much different opinion of the city, one they may not have visited previously. Things like that change the conversation and growth begets growth. Someone might visit for _____ conference, but then realize it's actually a nice community to live / work in. Or they had a good experience and told their friends about it. Lots and lots of positive things related to it.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:05 AM

157 posts, read 157,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccity3 View Post
Agreed. I also think tourism revenue has a lot of additional benefits that people don't talk about as much, like people having a much different opinion of the city, one they may not have visited previously. Things like that change the conversation and growth begets growth. Someone might visit for _____ conference, but then realize it's actually a nice community to live / work in. Or they had a good experience and told their friends about it. Lots and lots of positive things related to it.
Precisely! We are 100% aligned here. If only we could get everyone on board.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRohr View Post

The history of Birmingham from 1920-1995 was that of short-term thinking. The collective brain trust that was the Birmingham metro's leadership could never think more than five minutes ahead of time. The most obvious manifestation was the Civil Rights Era, but it cropped up time and again with the scrapping of the trolley system, the metastasizing suburbs, the complete ruination of downtown due to ill-revitalization efforts, the ongoing toadying to United States Steel, and dozens of other things both large and small.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:08 PM

Grading process of Protective Stadium is complete, gonna start seeing a lot of progress as we go:

https://twitter.com/ProtectiveStdm/s...87059356413953

Let's make bets - will this stadium be finished before or after August 15th, 2021.

I say before, but just barely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area