Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM

145 posts, read 450,906 times

Advertisements

Proving once again that living in Hawaii is different than living in any other state of the US (if you needed further proof ): Catchment Water Systems.

I'm no where near ready to seriously consider purchasing a home on the Big Island, but that doesn't stop me from window shopping just to get a feel for what types of properties might be available when and if the time comes. In many of the areas outside of the larger cities, lots of homes have catchment water and I feel I should educate myself about this. *

I am in near complete ignorance about this method of supplying water to a home. Here on the mainland there are two basic ways to meet water needs: city/county/municipal water and well water. I would hazard to guess that catchment systems function somewhat like a well - but that still leaves me with many questions.*

First, am I right in thinking that catchment systems function much like a well - except that you aren't utilizing 'ground water', but rather catching and containing it as it falls from the sky? *I know that in well systems, the water that is being utilized is made 'pure' by the natural process of filtering through the earth (well, assuming there isn't some type of pollution) - so, that leads me to wonder how catchment water is made pure? *Is there a filteration system connected to the tank? *And, while we're on the subject, why don't people seem to use wells in Hawaii? *I'm certain there's somehing fascinaing about the topography that prevents this and of which I'm unaware.*

How does catchment water taste? *I suppose if it's put throuh a filter it just tastes a lot like water from any other source (although I must hope it tastes better than Florida water - blech! ).*

Finally, how much is 'enough'. I've seen listings that say he home has a 20,000 gallon catchment tank, etc. Others say more, some say less. I realize water usage in general varies from person to person but how much for an average 2 person family?

Please also feel free to fill me in on anything else you think might be pertinent to know as well as tell me about your experiences in regards to this.*

Thanks in advance for educating me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,845 times
To answer a few of your questions:

The cost to drill well is $$$, lava/blue rock, depth of water, etc.

Most people do not drink the water but use it for everything else. You can treat/filter it to make it safe to drink but for whole house applications it would be expensive.

In areas like Ka'u and other dry areas more water is trucked in via water haulers than is caught; at least this past year.

Catchment of water is viable and most people are satisfied with the results (not that they have other choices).

Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM

52 posts, read 208,870 times
There are currently a few homes for sale in Keaau on the main highway . Look into them as possibly they are hooked into "county/city water" Some homes do have the option of hooking up this way that are on the main highway and pay every three months water bill. Also there are plots for sale available on the main highway.

Last edited by dianer29; 05-23-2010 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: missing a word

Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM

229 posts, read 928,980 times
I believe that Texas and Hawaii have state-produced documents about rainwater catchment. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Not all localities allow it. Back in Colorado, we were not allowed to have rain-barrels because it is considered to be "water hoarding". Some of us caught the water anyway and stuck a fountain in it. Nothing illegal about a water feature.

http://www.hawaiirain.org/ Here's one site that addresses some interesting issues.

Guidelines for rainwater catchment in Hawaii ; by Trisha Macomber http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 05-23-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM

145 posts, read 450,906 times
Thanks, you guys! This is definitely something to really consider when looking at properties.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Wells are very expensive here. Water can be had anywhere on the Big island, IF the well is drilled down to sea level. Yes, even at 5000 feet elevation you can get water! If you live close to the ocean, your well water may have a brackish taste or smell to it, but be easy to drill due to the relatively shallow depth. Further inland, the water can be quite good, but the expense of drilling at any depth over about 400 feet elevation is prohibitive.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
I think you still have to pay for the water, even if it comes from your own well, too, but I'm not certain on that.

Mainland folks talk about "perc tests" when looking at properties. Something to do with how fast the water drains away and it has to do with if they can put in a septic system or not. Here, in Hawaii, they don't usually do perc tests since the water doesn't stay around long enough to get measured. If someone is putting in a septic system, frequently they have to put in a huge amount of cinder soil to slow the drain of the leach field enough for the system to work. I'm not sure if that would affect any ground water wells or not, but I would think there wouldn't be much ground water near the surface.

A catchment tank looks a lot like an above ground swimming pool. My mainland sister came to visit me once and thought I lived in an upscale neighborhood since EVERYONE had a "swimming pool".

Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
I'm surprised everybody doesn't have water capturing systems since water is more expensive here. Because of the poor utility service, in Trinidad our house had the gutters directing water into a big black tank. Because the tank is black, it absorbs sunlight and keeps the water warm enough to shower with.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 AM

233 posts, read 685,502 times
I saw those things on an episode of House Hunters. Some guys were trying to buy a house on BI, and kept complaining that although it was for a good purpose, they were total eyesores.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
I'd say a house is a total eyesore, but we allow people to build them in some very scenic spots!

There was a controversy over some woman drying her clothes somewhere in California or Washington State... Her HOA had rules against it because it's an eyesore. But here in Hawaii I see clothes hanging to dry everywhere. If something is normal it's not an eyesore, just something else you're used to seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island