Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM

71 posts, read 497,796 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that a lot of the water (at least on the BI) is through water catchment. I imaging there are no worries of running out on the east side. What about the west side?

Also, Is this only used for bathing and such? Are there filter systems available that make it drinkable?

Also, does anyone have a well?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain so much!

Sharlee

PS Just bought our tickets today. We are coming for 2 weeks in March to check it all out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM

126 posts, read 688,622 times
Some people have wells.

Most people don't drink their catchment.

I don't drink mine and I still got really sick for a month in the spring when it got low.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM

does the water get low on the east side?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:52 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

A must-read for anyone moving to the Big Island, especially Puna or Kau where water catchment systems are common...

There are a few Puna subdivisions where there are private water systems (wells). Hawaiian Beaches Water Company is soon to be bringing more properties in the Hawaiian Shores community on line for water. I have listings out that way and keep a close eye on their progress. I just checked on one of mine today and they are going to have water available by the end of this month.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

A must-read for anyone moving to the Big Island, especially Puna or Kau where water catchment systems are common...

There are a few Puna subdivisions where there are private water systems (wells). Hawaiian Beaches Water Company is soon to be bringing more properties in the Hawaiian Shores community on line for water. I have listings out that way and keep a close eye on their progress. I just checked on one of mine today and they are going to have water available by the end of this month.
nothing up at volcano, huh? if people aren't drinking the catchment water, and don't have wells or private water systems, do they truck it in or do they buy bottled water?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,377 times
Some people buy bottled, some fill up larger containers at public spigots, some fill up at a friend or family member's house. But with the newer types of systems, filtration, and test kits available, there are probably a good number of people who are drinking their water. I'd certainly advise caution with an older tank or one that has not been properly cared for....much of what to be aware of is addressed in the publication in the post above.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Some people buy bottled, some fill up larger containers at public spigots, some fill up at a friend or family member's house. But with the newer types of systems, filtration, and test kits available, there are probably a good number of people who are drinking their water. I'd certainly advise caution with an older tank or one that has not been properly cared for....much of what to be aware of is addressed in the publication in the post above.
thanks for the info.

regarding the bottled water: does the big island have delivery like say from menehune water company or hawaiian isles water? guess i could check out the yellow pages for the answer. some of our markets here and even some home improvement centers sell the big fillable containers and h20.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
If you're looking at buying an older home with a catchment system you want to check all the roof flashing, especially the valleys, for lead flashing. They used it for years, before zinc-galvanized and copper, water flowing over lead is going to pick up traces of lead contamination, not something you want to be drinking. And a reverse osmosis water filtration system will give you the same thing as any bottled water will.
And of course, if the drinking water is questionable, there's always a reliable alternative..........BEER....

aloha and okolemaluna

Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

We actually have a reverse osmosis system here and are thinking about packing it up and sending it there.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
And of course, if the drinking water is questionable, there's always a reliable alternative..........BEER....
a good shot of whiskey might do the trick?! would love to have some red wine, but that just gives me a migraine. got to stick to the white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island