Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM

29 posts, read 210,504 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 30yr old female single doctor, have lived in Atlanta (nice place), NYC (hated it!), and now may be moving to Bend. I'm a bit of a yippie--an outdoor enthusiast, environmentalist, vegetarian, but also like drinking a martini at a sophisticated lounge with other professionals. I was just wondering what the general feel of Bend is like. I of course realize not everyone fits into a one sentence generalization, and I'm sure there are niches for nearly everyone, but every city does have a certain feel to it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 PM

97 posts, read 504,563 times
Bend is a lot like Palm Springs California, only much much cleaner. Yuppies like yourself will fit in just fine. I hope you like exponential growth from California. It is a nice setting for outsoor pursuits. Hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, the list goes on. The traffic on US 97 get's a bit slower every day. I know there is a proposed toll road to alleviate congestion. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

480 posts, read 2,468,586 times
Bend is a good place to live. It's certainly not perfect and a lot of people have moved here expecting it to be some kind of paradise and it is clearly not that. I imagine people coming from a large city like L.A. could find it refreshing, but the fast development has created some problems that should be expected when a town grows as quickly as Bend did. As a doctor, you'll find Bend has pretty extraordinary medical capabilities for a town of its size. You'll find everything that an outdoor enthusiast looks for, with things to do year round. As a martini drinker, you'll enjoy the locally distilled offerings of Bendistillery's two martini bars (downtown and the Old Mill District) and for the occasional beer, we've got some great microbreweries. The Produce Patch sells the freshest fruits & vegetables and in the summer when local produce is available, we have a farmers market twice a week. We have stores and restaurants that offer lots of options for vegetarians. My daughter, who is in her 30s, complains that the night life in Bend isn't all that it could be, but there is usually some kind of event happening. We have our own opera company, a couple of live theaters, and big names artists come in to perform, especially in summer. If you want a night in a bigger city, a weekend in Portland is easy to do. Overall, the people in Bend are very friendly. There is bitterness towards people who have come here from California to buy up real estate which has resulted in our housing prices skyrocketing. Also, people who come from large metropolitain areas don't always adjust well to living in a slower paced environment and so they bring their anxieties and brusqueness with them and that is not at all appreciated so you may have to get used to slowing down if you're coming from a large Eastern city - it's a different pace.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 15,926 times
Just got a job offer in Bend. Will know something next week. Was thinking of Murphy, NC. My wife and I are in our late 50's - still hip - but love the nature and slow pace of Murphy with Asheville only 2 hours a way for night life really appeals to us. We can retire in Murphy on my SS and benefits. What's the deal on housing in Bend? How much for a nice place in the woods? Help appreciated.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 21,694 times
Why are these postings so OLD????? Stuff has changed so much in most areas of the Country. For instance, Bend real estate crashed, making it affordable to buy there. Prices are great. Expected to boom again in near future. Also other areas of Eastern Oregon, prineville, redmond are really cheap right now. Good time to relocate to Oregon???? Willamette Valley has not experienced the BIG crash that inland areas have. I checked out Bend a few years ago, but Could NOT afford it. Going to look again.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM

716 posts, read 2,820,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy in clarkston View Post
Expected to boom again in near future.
LOL, not a chance.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,283,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
LOL, not a chance.
I'll put my house on it that it does in the next 5-10 years.

****. I'll put everything I own on it, including my life.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM

716 posts, read 2,820,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I'll put my house on it that it does in the next 5-10 years.

****. I'll put everything I own on it, including my life.
5-10 years is hardly "short term". Sure I bet Bend returns to a slow growth pattern but not soon. There's nothing to drive growth. No jobs, huge unemployment and an anti-business Oregon business climate.

Bend does not have the infrastucture for anything but tourism and that won't rebound until disposable income rise.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,283,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
5-10 years is hardly "short term". Sure I bet Bend returns to a slow growth pattern but not soon. There's nothing to drive growth. No jobs, huge unemployment and an anti-business Oregon business climate.

Bend does not have the infrastucture for anything but tourism and that won't rebound until disposable income rise.
Fair enough. Its always funny how anyone can take a term like 'near future' as being something TOTALLY different than the next person.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,700,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick reeves View Post
Just got a job offer in Bend. Will know something next week. Was thinking of Murphy, NC. My wife and I are in our late 50's - still hip - but love the nature and slow pace of Murphy with Asheville only 2 hours a way for night life really appeals to us. We can retire in Murphy on my SS and benefits. What's the deal on housing in Bend? How much for a nice place in the woods? Help appreciated.
You're still going to pay quite a bit for a nice place in the woods, depending on where you're looking. You can probably find something cheaper the farther you go from Bend (La Pine, Redmond, Prineville) but these may not appeal to you. The woods of Central Oregon are very different from the woods of the south. You'll also want to consider the climate in Bend versus North Carolina. It's way different! I'm not sure if you are living in the south now, but Bend is very dry and cold. We get snow in the winter, sometimes quite a bit. We also have a very long winter compared with anything in the south. If your not prepared for the amount of cold and the length of winter, it can be a real shock. I know it has been for me, even coming from Colorado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend