Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 PM

5 posts, read 6,561 times

Advertisements

We are doing research on moving to Bend Oregon as we have visited many times over the past 10 years and love the community. We are now a family of four with two kids. We are two professional women that put family first and we are wondering about the diversity and acceptance in Bend??? We are very active and into the outdoors so we know we would love it, but wondering now about our family in Bend. Would anyone that lives in bend or experienced bend have any thoughts on two women raising their family in the area as well as the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,744,752 times
Here is a relatively recent thread of the same topic. https://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...accept-us.html

In short, you should have no issues here.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Thank you, I am mainly thinking about our kids. Wanting a good education for them, outdoor playground to grow up in with quality people surrounding us, small town but big enough to have plenty of options to do vs. judgemental. We have an amazing family that is very adventuresome and close knit that surround our kids with much security and love.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,744,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit11 View Post
Thank you, I am mainly thinking about our kids. Wanting a good education for them, outdoor playground to grow up in with quality people surrounding us, small town but big enough to have plenty of options to do vs. judgemental. We have an amazing family that is very adventuresome and close knit that surround our kids with much security and love.
I think your kids will be happy here and do well. Diversity isn't huge here, but people are very accepting. Bend is a great place to raise kids, especially adventuresome children. There are several great charter schools in Bend, especially look at the few on the west side. I am an east side resident, because I can get more for my money here, but the west side has great schools and quicker access to trails, parks, etc.

Here are some great threads about schools and children. You can use the search function in the upper right corner to find more or narrow down the results.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...move-bend.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...mily-bend.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...ssibility.html

Old 02-21-2014, 02:03 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,466,614 times
We get at least three diversity questions a week on this forum. My question is why stand out? Is there something special about you that would make you a target?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:03 PM

32,867 posts, read 48,942,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit11 View Post
.........have any thoughts on two women raising their family in the area as well as the schools?

I don't know, OP, is there something visible about you that will have people recoiling in horror when they see you? It's kinda hard to guess what it is about you that makes you think you might be run out of town on a rail after we tar and feather you.

Schools are good as long as the parents make sure that their kids are getting their work done. As it is any place else. The kids who succeed are the kids who have parents who are actively engaged with their children's learning.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Just wondering when being protective over your kids became a bad thing. Live, Laugh and go play hard now. Thank you for all your thoughts.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,299,388 times
Come one now, she has every right to raise this concern without being belittled. If I was in her shoes it would be a concern of mine too as Bend is a small town. I doubt she thinks she's special, but just because she doesn't think she's special doesn't mean she has to be naive to potential biases, bigotry and stereotypes when it comes to her family. She's challenging 'norms' and with that, especially when kids enter the equation, she should know what she'll be getting into.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem here, save for the people who think you'll think you're somehow inherently special because you don't fit their idea of what's normal. This is the type of 'right' leaning perspective you'll deal with in Bend, not outright bigotry or homophobia. Least no more than other accepting live and let live areas of the PNW.

Like Delta wrote, I think the Westside is a good fit for you. For the same reasons she highlighted, but also, the Westside is known to be, generally speaking, more 'liberal' minded.

Let us know if you have any more questions or want more clarification. Hope this helps!

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-21-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM

86 posts, read 268,430 times
OP, the group of parents/kids that my wife, daughter, and myself mostly hang out with includes three same-sex couples. It's not a huge group, and I imagine it doesn't represent a monopoly on the double-moms in the area. Everything is fine and dandy from what I gather, and I'd say most of Bend is a very welcoming sort of folk.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 PM

77 posts, read 144,949 times
Summit--

I don't think you'll have any issues in Bend. I know quite a few families with two moms and they have never reported any difficulty with the town or schools. My partner and I have lived here many years and have never felt any hostility. The truth is we have so much more acceptance and integration than we have ever had that your little ones will be safe and welcomed here. Bend is a great place for active families and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend