Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM

369 posts, read 777,374 times

Advertisements

He definitely doesn't have the career stats...7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg...but he does have SEVEN championships with three different teams. "Big Shot Rob" has also been a pretty clutch shooter in a lot of those games. I personally don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame, but many of my friends say otherwise. Just trying to see peoples opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times
the only reason i could see him getting in is by sheer number of rings. he has more then 99.99843769358913 % of all other players ever, and to do it on 3 different teams while being a REAL contributer on all of those 7 title teams warrants something. he will tell you he doesnt deserve to be in, UNLESS there where a playoff hall of fame. in the end the point of the hall of fame is to enshrine not just the best individual player but all contributers who stand out in the game of basketball. in this day, i would be willing to bet that more people know what big shot bob has done then say oscar robertson (thanks to tv coverage and internet for sure).

i say he gets in 5-10 yrs after he is eligible.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 PM

315 posts, read 871,744 times
No- lots of championships - but in reality a nice sixth guy off the bench

No doubt > he was clutch though

Old 11-13-2009, 12:50 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,276,699 times
Good player who helped his team but not HOFer. If you are going to elect Horry what about Steve Kerr or Dereck Fisher?

Old 11-13-2009, 02:00 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,142,282 times
I would say YES for Robert Horry because he was a key contributor on all 7 championships, and a solid starter on several of them. I don't think he was simply along for the ride, in fact the Rockets bloomed shortly after drafting Big Shot Bob.

He really knew how to play winning basketball: spread the floor, set picks, man defense, help defense, slash when offered, shoot better the more important times of the game or season.

And he was passionate without being out of control (ie. Rasheed), didn't care whether he played 10 or 35 minutes/game.

For me, if you look past statistics, he was a better player than Charles Barkley. Charles was like Iverson, he always thought the team was best off if he dominated the ball, both failing to notice teammate's games suffering. And Barkley was ridiculously easy to score against.

To close, if the HOF inducts players based mainly on stats, there will be alot of losers in there.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,315,939 times
No. Not even close

I'd take him on my team though

Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,636,314 times
This is something I've always wondered, but I will have to vote no. As much as his was clutch in big games, and his has the hardware, I don't think it is enough to get in the HOF. He doesn't have the numbers, awards such as the MVP, or even been voted in a All-Star Game. He is a great player, but not a HOFer.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,276,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
This is something I've always wondered, but I will have to vote no. As much as his was clutch in big games, and his has the hardware, I don't think it is enough to get in the HOF. He doesn't have the numbers, awards such as the MVP, or even been voted in a All-Star Game. He is a great player, but not a HOFer.

Horry has a career 7.0 points a game average no matter what he did in the playoffs that is not going to get you in the Hall of Fame.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
He definitely doesn't have the career stats...7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg...but he does have SEVEN championships with three different teams. "Big Shot Rob" has also been a pretty clutch shooter in a lot of those games. I personally don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame, but many of my friends say otherwise. Just trying to see peoples opinions.
No. If he gets in, it will completely destroy any credibility the HOF has.

Being lucky and playing on teams with Kobe, Shaq, Tim Duncan, Hakeem, etc. does not make one a hall of famer.
For someone who was such a great shooter in the Playoffs, how come "big shot Rob" only hit .426 on Field Goals and only .359 on Threes?

Chris Mullin is NOT a Hall-of-Famer and he had 4 years as a top-ten scorer, is one of the greatest FT shooters of all time, is in the top-100 of all time in the following: SPG, PPG, FT%, 3P%, FG% and he was a 5-time all-star. His career playoff shooting was .495 on field goals and .409 on threes. He carried his team on his shoulders and even shot 69.2% from Three during the playoff run of 1990-91.

If Mullin isn't a Hall-of-Famer, how on Earth could Horry be?

If Horry is one, why not Ron Harper? Why not John Paxson? What about Will Purdue?

And why the heck is DENNIS RODMAN not in the Hall of Fame?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,233,076 times
sure - with a ticket or an invite to visit

he'll never be enshrined though, and rightfully so

Last edited by Finger Laker; 11-18-2009 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball