Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Hey - burdell - a couple of things.

First of all, in the past, you've blasted me for being a "rightie" or "right wing nut job" or whatever, yet, we're in agreement on this. How do you reconcile that?
I don't know about you but I look at the issue, not at how either party views it.

Quote:
Second, this isn't a right/left thing. Stop trying to polarize every. single. issue. with a left vs. right, us vs. them lens. Folks are genuinely concerned about the abuse of government power, as they should be. You're not changing any minds with this "you're just a stupid right winger" crap. Knock it off.
How can I not see it as left/right when things the right had no issue with 2001-2009 now become issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do you not understand you have no expectation of privacy when out in public? In other words, if you have something to hide, don't be whining about getting caught if you're too stupid to hide it.
But what about your backyard ? What about inside your house ?
That's not exactly "out in public" is it ?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
It's not apathy. It's pragmatism and objectivity.

With the exception of you stating that they can put more of them in the air, NOBODY has raised a SINGLE difference between drones and helicopters. I've brought it up several times, and every time (sans your response, which I will look over more closely in a bit) my point has been ignored outright.

Like I said, I'd be with you if you were challenging all the bureaucratic red tape we have to deal with just to live our lives, and I'm generally in agreement with you on most of the topics I engage in on the forum, but on this, unless you're screaming just as loud about helicopters and satellites, I have to dismiss your concerns as paranoia.
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I agree with the statement in bold.I don't want an illusion of privacy, I want real privacy.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
All in the name of liberty, homeland security, merica

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But what about your backyard ? What about inside your house ?
That's not exactly "out in public" is it ?
Judging by the amount of cases that have been made from aerial surveillance of marijuana growing I'd guess legally the backyard is considered 'plain view' and fair game.

Inside the house? AFAIK that requires probable cause to get a warrant.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Do you not understand you have no expectation of privacy when out in public? In other words, if you have something to hide, don't be whining about getting caught if you're too stupid to hide it.
On one's own property is not "out in public". There is a reasonable expectation of within the boundaries of one's property beyond what a 6' privacy fence would block from street view. Drones violate that and without a warrant they have no right to conduct surveillance over property not under official investigation per the documents offered by the US Air Force I previously linked.

Quote:
.............Inside the house? AFAIK that requires probable cause to get a warrant.
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...can-van-04276/

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...orcement.shtml

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I pretty sure we're blaming the EPA, not Obama. Why do you lefties feel you need to make everything about him?
Alex Jones is. Read the first sentence.

» EPA Using Drones to Spy on Cattle Ranchers in Nebraska and Iowa Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency is using aerial drones to spy on farmers in Nebraska and Iowa.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
On one's own property is not "out in public". There is a reasonable expectation of within the boundaries of one's property beyond what a 6' privacy fence would block from street view. Drones violate that and without a warrant they have no right to conduct surveillance over property not under official investigation per the documents offered by the US Air Force I previously linked.

Better Than X-Rays: The Z-Backscatter Scan-Van

X-Ray Scanner Vans Not Just Being Sold To Law Enforcement | Techdirt
So a police helicopter is different?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Take it up with the SCOTUS:

In the 1986 decision California v. Ciraolo, the Supreme Court focused on whether an individual has a privacy interest in being free from aerial surveillance of his backyard. The police had received a tip that Dante Ciraolo was growing marijuana in his backyard, but high fences prevented them from viewing his backyard from the street. The police borrowed a plane, flew it over the backyard and easily spotted marijuana plants growing there. Ciraolo argued that his Fourth Amendment rights were violated because the government did not get a warrant. The Court rejected this argument, explaining that there was no intrusion into his privacy because “[a]ny member of the public flying in this airspace who glanced down could have seen everything that these officers observed.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Alex Jones is. Read the first sentence.

» EPA Using Drones to Spy on Cattle Ranchers in Nebraska and Iowa Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency is using aerial drones to spy on farmers in Nebraska and Iowa.
I read it when it was pointed out to me the first time. I just wasn't paying close attention.

I was refering to the posters. Most people here are blaming the EPA, and rightly so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation