Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

59 posts, read 185,034 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a new (2010) vehicle at a car dealership that I will not name. I went to the dealer, test drove the vehicle and started asking questions about the base model vs. the next model up. At this point I was more interested in the base model but I wanted to know the differences in the two, to see if the 1000k+ price difference was justifiable. I was told that the only difference between the two vehicles was that the higher end model came with a radio installed and that it had alloy wheels - this was it. I thought about it and decided to go with the base model as I was indifferent about the alloy wheels and I knew I could get a radio installed for <$300 thus making the base model seem a better choice.

After getting the radio installed, I noticed that my rear speakers weren't working. After looking in the trunk, I discovered that I do not have rear speakers installed. I proceeded to call a different dealership at which time they informed me of the other various differences between the base and level up model, including these two. I am absolutely furious as I now have to get rear speakers installed + more since the sales person failed to tell me about these differences when selling me the car.

I wanted to know what other people thought - was this a misrepresentation by the dealer or am I just bitter that I now have to install speakers + more in a brand new car??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 AM

9,153 posts, read 14,803,430 times
Well, I have to be honest. If the car came without a radio, it is not too much a stretch to think it would not have speakers either. In fact, I would be more surprised it did. Also the sales guy probably did not know if there were speakers or not. Many of those guys are no great experts on cars, they just know the marketing materials.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM

It came with 4 speakers (front). Next up model comes stocked w 6.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,447,856 times
Why take his word for it?

Automakers don't hide the option and trim level information. You can get it all off their website.

In any event, it sounds like you were dealing with a less-than-knowledgeable salesperson. Why would he misrepresent that on purpose? It's a selling point to buy the higher model.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,730,703 times
I could see why you would be upset, but really it is an odd situation - the salesman talking you into a cheaper car.

I don't know what the legal ramificaitons might be. Did he actually misrepresent the car he sold you or only the car he could have sold you?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM

871 posts, read 3,021,668 times
The answer you want to hear, or the answer I am obligated to give?

The salesman is just that. There are various shades of salesmen/women, some are perfectly forthright and some are sleazy. One thing all of them have in common is a desire to maximize profit.

I would indeed not rely on any salesperson to provide me with info I need to base my decision on. A base model vehicle was right there in the showroom or lot for you to look at, and so was the next model up, I presume. These new vehicles have a detailed listing of standard and optional equipment affixed to a rear window. All of the information that is and needs to be represented regarding these vehicles is right there in print.

There is nothing wrong with you asking the dealership to photocopy the window stickers for you to take with you to put together an info file to study.

I sure am not trying to talk down to you at all. I just in fair conscience cannot allow for a base model vehicle that does not come with a radio to in fact have speakers installed. It's actually part of the radio package/family/however you want to phrase it.

My dad bought a 1980 Chevy, new, with no A/C. He was willing to sacrifice his comfort for the cost of the upgrade. Come to find out, the rear window glass did not roll down. No cranks! He brought it back to the dealer months later and was told that most every 1980 Malibu sold came with A/C; therefore, no need to roll the back windows down! If you did not spring for the A/C, well, you were crankless!

Furthermore, the place who sold and installed your "radio".......was it a simple AM-FM radio or a more sophisticated CD changer type? They should have offered you the option of installing speakers in the rear when they noticed you didn't have them in place. Maybe, just maybe, they can do the speakers as an add-on to the job they already did and not charge you as if it were a "from scratch" installation.

Once again, whether it's a clothes dryer, cordless phone setup, lawnmower, or new car (with the big price tag) go online, talk with friends, read Consumer Reports, educate yourself. There's a great dumbing down today with sales people because, among other things, they EXPECT that the buyer has already done their homework, so the sales person doesn't have to know very much. They will generally even steer you to the internet with a statement like "website XYZ has some GREAT information you could grab; it's always changing or being improved so you should really look there. I'm always here if you need me". lol.

It's actually somewhat emboldening to do your own research because it will arm you with the Truth you need to avert the deceit they will throw at you. They can often sense their prey. I don't often deal with sales people myself. I trust me more than them.

Good luck! Sorry for the diatribe.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Hmm interesting responses. I guess what I am getting at is that I told him I did not care for the alloy rims so he immediately jumped and offered the "only differences" spiel, I feel to sell me the base. This is the first car I bought from a dealer. I will never trust a dealer after this incident.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,931,254 times
There was no misrepresentation by the dealer. Get your rear speakers and forget about it. Stock speakers stink anyway so consider whatever speakers you buy an upgrade.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM

871 posts, read 3,021,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp64452 View Post
Hmm interesting responses. I guess what I am getting at is that I told him I did not care for the alloy rims so he immediately jumped and offered the "only differences" spiel, I feel to sell me the base. This is the first car I bought from a dealer. I will never trust a dealer after this incident.

Certainly do not let it ruin your experience or the enjoyment of your new vehicle. Factory speakers, in many cases, are inferior to upgraded ones like you might be looking to get, so you're really not out anything. God knows I've made impulsive, foolish and expensive errors in judgment that were far more costly than a discrepancy in trim level. You'll be fine! Enjoy your new wheels!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,366,361 times
Your outrage is much ado about nothing. So your car didn't come with a pair of cheap-ass speakers in the rear. Whoop-dee, that's hardly a material omission -- in fact it's an omission a reasonable person should at least anticipate in a car sold without a radio. You're acting like they told you the car came with a V6 only to pop the hood and find a 4-cylinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive