Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp64452 View Post
Hmm interesting responses. I guess what I am getting at is that I told him I did not care for the alloy rims so he immediately jumped and offered the "only differences" spiel, I feel to sell me the base. This is the first car I bought from a dealer. I will never trust a dealer after this incident.
So your bad experience at this dealer and with this sales person causes you to indict all dealers?

I agree with others that this isn't really a big deal. It is a surprise he didn't try harder to sell you the more expensive car.

I still have a hard time believing car is sold with front speakers but no radio. And four speakers in the front? That makes no sense at all.

Possible troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times
Quote:
I still have a hard time believing car is sold with front speakers but no radio. And four speakers in the front?
Its probably the door speakers. Its cheaper to put in speakers in all doors in the line than to slow down the line to pick and choose which cars get them or not.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM

791 posts, read 1,427,135 times
Quote:
I recently purchased a new (2010) vehicle at a car dealership that I will not name. I went to the dealer, test drove the vehicle and started asking questions about the base model vs. the next model up. At this point I was more interested in the base model but I wanted to know the differences in the two, to see if the 1000k+ price difference was justifiable. I was told that the only difference between the two vehicles was that the higher end model came with a radio installed and that it had alloy wheels - this was it. I thought about it and decided to go with the base model as I was indifferent about the alloy wheels and I knew I could get a radio installed for <$300 thus making the base model seem a better choice.

After getting the radio installed, I noticed that my rear speakers weren't working. After looking in the trunk, I discovered that I do not have rear speakers installed. I proceeded to call a different dealership at which time they informed me of the other various differences between the base and level up model, including these two. I am absolutely furious as I now have to get rear speakers installed + more since the sales person failed to tell me about these differences when selling me the car.

I wanted to know what other people thought - was this a misrepresentation by the dealer or am I just bitter that I now have to install speakers + more in a brand new car??
this is not misrepresentation. He said the difference was the higher end came with a sound system and wheels....the base model did not. You chose the base model. The sound system includes all speakers, amps and recievers

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 AM

791 posts, read 1,427,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
wait till he realises the heated seats are gone.
lol!!!!!!!!!!:d

Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
Quote:
Hmm interesting responses. I guess what I am getting at is that I told him I did not care for the alloy rims so he immediately jumped and offered the "only differences" spiel, I feel to sell me the base. This is the first car I bought from a dealer. I will never trust a dealer after this incident.
Well, it looks like you've learned the most important lesson of all. Even the most trustworthty and knowlegeble sales guy works for the dealer, not you. His job it to make the dealer (and therefore himself) as much money as possible and this is at odds with most of your desires in this transaction.

He probably started selling you on teh base because he was afraid he would lsoe you entirely and you buying a base is better than nothing.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
are you telling me that your new car came with front speakers and NO head unit?!?

what kind of vehicle?? utility van?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So your bad experience at this dealer and with this sales person causes you to indict all dealers?

I agree with others that this isn't really a big deal. It is a surprise he didn't try harder to sell you the more expensive car.

I still have a hard time believing car is sold with front speakers but no radio. And four speakers in the front? That makes no sense at all.

Possible troll.
2010 Nissan Versa | Sedan Specs | Nissan USA

Old 06-04-2010, 04:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Why does anyone rely on a salesman for informtion on what each model includes if they have a computer. Last I knew speakers were a part of a radio system;so if no radio I won't expect any really.Nice that they included the front spaelers as they can be difficult to intall in stock positio0 i the dash.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,981,055 times
It's one thing to just want... It's another to do a little homework.

Any time I buy anything I research it, and then check it for what it should have. I get down and look, most of the time I get a little dirty in the doing.

A little dirt won't hurty you any, and the sales guys quit with their tall tails when you do. A great deal of car sales men have no idea what they are selling in the first place. They might read Car and Driver, and maybe take a few classes on what a car is, but the reality is they don't know all that much about the product.

And then the service reps who write the orders don't know much either. They walk around like the co-ck of the walk strutting like over grown chickens, and will lie thru their teeth to convince you of a detail, but in the end they will be wrong too.

I used to work for dealers as a tech, and have swept many a booklet on details from my work bench straight into the trash. The whole thing is about some idea of image to the sales dept.

Find the cleanest tech, with the most, and the best tools, and that will be the smartest guy in the place. Just don't talk for long with out paying since time = money to that tech.

As a consumer, your job is to know before you ask what the base model has compared to anything else. You have No Beef!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,111,109 times
It's possible that he was steering towards a base model if there was no upper trim in the configuration that the customer preferred (color, transmission, etc) which would have lost any sale.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,138,041 times
Back in 1978, I went to buy a new VW Rabbit. There was a 4 door model in the showroom, exactly as I wanted it, except I wanted a 2 door model. The salesman told me he had an identical car, except for 2 doors on display at Sears. I told him I wanted that 2 door car. He tried HARD to get me in the 4 door model, even discounting the price to the same as the 2 door. I was firm, and said no. Well, I got the 2 door model, but it came with a dealer installed air conditioner (that looked and worked like hell) instead of the German factory A/C in the 4 door model. Had the salesman told me that the 2 door had the dealer installed unit, I would have taken the 4 door. The A/C never worked well.

The moral of the story is: DO YOUR HOMEWORK! You can rely on no one but yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive