Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,892 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with them since my vehicle is legally registered and insured.Also,a vehicle license plate is always visible to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,432,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What doesn't make sense?

When red light cameras were still just an idea there were many people like yourself who did not see anything wrong with them.

And here AGAIN is another case of gubmint issued traffic monitoring devices and AGAIN there are people who do not see anything wrong with them.

Are you really this blind?

I've always had a problem with them because there was no human involvement in anything. It was entirely automated, and there was no appealing anything.

This is completely different. This is merely a tool to alert officers that you have warrants or tickets against you. After that, it's completely up to the officers (who, again, are running plates in traffic anyway) to ignore it or arrest you. If they do arrest you, you can fight it just like you would anything else.

This isn't issuing a ticket for an infraction, it's alerting officers that you are already delinquent or breaking the law in some way.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Just a suggestion Check out '"Right to Drive" Why are you paying for something you don't really need . Wake up AMERICA!.

You have no "right" to drive. It's purely a privilege.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think you need to explain which laws specifically prevent his scenario from happening. If they can put up red light cameras and speed cameras, without violating these laws then what will stop his scenario from happening? You need to be specific because it is not all clear that the Constitution protects us from that, or worse.

You want me to explain how a machine is prevented from arresting you?

I think you need to quit watching so much sci-fi.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,932,203 times
That's up to the car behind to maintain a distance in which it can stop safely.

If I need to stop, I stop.
I don't care what's behind me.

If a child ran out in front of you, would you check your mirror before braking, to see how close the guy behind is ?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I believe they are causing a lot more accidents. Everyone is paranoid of getting a ticket that they stop short at the light and wind up getting rear-ended. I have seen it myself more than once.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,840,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You want me to explain how a machine is prevented from arresting you?

I think you need to quit watching so much sci-fi.
What the heck are you talking about? The premise is: it starts with the license plate readers being used as the cops advertised, to check for stolen cars and to verify insurance. What law stops them from escalating this to tracking your movements or worse?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,932,203 times
And you think this doesn't happen already ?

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? The premise is: it starts with the license plate readers being used as the cops advertised, to check for stolen cars and to verify insurance. What law stops them from escalating this to tracking your movements or worse?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
That's up to the car behind to maintain a distance in which it can stop safely.

If I need to stop, I stop.
I don't care what's behind me.

If a child ran out in front of you, would you check your mirror before braking, to see how close the guy behind is ?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. I don't think so.
Great point, Bobman . . .

However, far too much Logic and Common Sense involved.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:

They already can track your movements. Do you know how many cameras the average person is caught on in a single day?

You're assuming they have the money, desire, or manpower to want to know where you are at all times.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
That technique is rapidly growing in popularity all around the country. It's a great system that doesn't interfer with anyone's rights, unless you stole the vehicle..!
The local University recently installed the system to control their parking situation. There are thousands of students and parking is at a premium, so they have the system installed in a compact P/U, and cruise the parking lot. Just by driving down the rows will tell them if someone is parked in the lot and didn't buy the proper permit. Your parking permit is assigned by license numbers, so they can spot the wrong doer in an instant. Getting an expensive parking ticket is part of your college education...!
One P/U with this system installed can cover the entire parking system every hour, rather than all day for a guy on foot.
License plate recognition | Number Plate Recognition | Car Detector (http://www.vigilantvideo.com/CarDetector_Mobile.htm?gclid=COuvhaXjn6ACFRsiawoda AlaaQ - broken link)

Platescan - Homepage
So if you have car trouble and drive someone else's car to school, you'll likely get a ticket. Brilliant. Like most other things, this is not about safety or catching violators. It's about the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive