Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,311 times

Advertisements

I don't replace them very often. I've gone years at a time without replacing them. Obviously, performance suffers in such cases, and now I'm being more vigilant about replacement.

The local auto store says the cheaper ones only last a couple of months, whereas the higher end ones last a year or longer.

I have a hard time believing that there is such a large discrepancy. Windshield wipers are all made out of rubber, and unless the costlier brands have stumbled onto some kind of "super rubber" compound which lasts 6X as long as regular rubber, I find this claim to be a bit specious.

FYI, I've used a "cheaper" brands of windshield wipers and they seem to be holding up quite well at the one year mark...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
well, there ARE different grades of rubber or rubber-like materials, FYI.

when living in CA where it rarely rains and the sun really beats down on rubber products, i found myself replacing blades every 6 months or so.

now that i live in NC, i think i've changed wiper blades once.

i'm not terribly brand-loyal on wiper blades, but i have found it worthwhile to spend a couple of bones for better ones because the rubber piece on the cheaper ones always seems to fall apart after a short while. the part of the rubber insert that actually does the wiping would always seperate from itself.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
There is a difference in the quality of the rubber. I found the cheap ones make a terrible noise on my wifes car so I got some that were about 20 bucks and solved it. You never want you wiper blades to go bad because the first rain will RUIN YOUR WINDSHIELD when the metal cuts into the glass. Check them every 6 months for cracks.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
It also depends on location and use. Here where we have light rain much of the winter and we use the car and wipers regularly they wear. I replace the blades on both cars about once a year. I have been most pleased with the performance of Michelin wiper blades.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Whenever my wipers start to streak, I take some 200-grit sandpaper to 'em. Haven't changed a set of blades in 2 years.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:33 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I don't replace them very often. I've gone years at a time without replacing them. Obviously, performance suffers in such cases, and now I'm being more vigilant about replacement.

The local auto store says the cheaper ones only last a couple of months, whereas the higher end ones last a year or longer.

I have a hard time believing that there is such a large discrepancy. Windshield wipers are all made out of rubber, and unless the costlier brands have stumbled onto some kind of "super rubber" compound which lasts 6X as long as regular rubber, I find this claim to be a bit specious.

FYI, I've used a "cheaper" brands of windshield wipers and they seem to be holding up quite well at the one year mark...

Of course there are different types of rubber. Theres a big difference between rubber bands and rubber tires isn't there?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:18 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
They say on average 6 months, I don't change mine that often though, but whenever they stop working too well I do.

If you drive around with really worn ones, you damage your windshield, and after all, that's far more expensive than new wipers every 6 months.

...that said, sanding them can work too.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
When I lived in the midwest it was a couple of years, of course I used the sand paper trick.

Here in sunny SoCal it is more like 6 months, sand paper or not.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,773 times
I just recently switched to Rain-X wipers at 38.00/pair and love them. Don't know how long they will last but they clear water and snow off better than other brands I've had.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Northern California and I have to replace them every year, including the better grade wipers because he Mexicans with their leaf-blowers blow dust and other abrasive material all over the place and it settles on the windshields and wears out the blades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive