Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,481,742 times

Advertisements

As a customer If I were looking to buy a brand new car there is no chance in hell I would pay the same price for a car thats 2 0r 3 model years old!
I don't care if it's still brand new or not, it being 2 or 3 years old is going to drop the value drastically. I'm sure there are not any shortage of buyers who would buy them up if the dealer knocks a grand off, but that grand won't make up for the model year depreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
From what a freind said manufacturers start sending out vehicle not on floor plans at some point and give them incentives to sell them. I have bought new vehilces as late as late sept and gotten good deals. Normally you have to look at alot of dealers sites for inventory to find the one you want tho.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM

392 posts, read 1,554,024 times
I've always wondered what kind of special prep work they do when they sell new vehicles that sit around for so long. Do they periodically change the fluids and batteries, and turn the engine over?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,431,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
I've always wondered what kind of special prep work they do when they sell new vehicles that sit around for so long. Do they periodically change the fluids and batteries, and turn the engine over?

Nope.

Only moving it around the lot.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,527,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From what a freind said manufacturers start sending out vehicle not on floor plans at some point and give them incentives to sell them.
Mostly back in the seventies up to the mid eighties just before the first round of 7.7% came out in Sept of '85 now day's the MSO arrives well before the unit does but I'm not sure how the import stores work.

Another thing to check is the 'Inventory Date' on the invoice
in my case when I bought my '04 K-2500 in 06/04 it's inventory date was 08/03 and it missed three price hikes

At the time GM had an owner loyalty program on trading in
a GM product on another one, an additional 5k on top of the acv* it was a very sweet deal

* Actual Cash Value

Old 12-27-2009, 12:48 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,143,334 times
I would wonder about the inactivity as well and would certainly think a used model with regular driving would certain be much better especially for the price change in it being officially used

An interesting note of this topic is that a few hundred unsold 87 El Caminos were sold as 88 El Caminos.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,644,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I would wonder about the inactivity as well and would certainly think a used model with regular driving would certain be much better especially for the price change in it being officially used

An interesting note of this topic is that a few hundred unsold 87 El Caminos were sold as 88 El Caminos.
As far as inactivity goes, it's not a problem. I used to buy fleet cars for a company, and we purchased them when the budget came in, even thought they may not go into service for up to a year. We had a row of new vehicles sitting in the back row, and when the a car met the criteria to be replaced, we'd pull the replacement car out and put it in service. In over 25 years, we never had a problem with a vehicle that sat a year or so. /we never started them until they went into service.
As far as some years being sold as new models, that can't happen, as the manufacturing date is stamped right on the car. If you tried to sell an unsold 87 as an 88, the buyer could look at the manufacture date, and own the dealership who tried that trick.
Dealers know when the new models are due to arrive, and they do whatever it takes to get rid of the previous year models, like huge discounts. Once in a while there are some last year models left. They make it worth the buyers time to buy a NOS vehicle.
Losts of "Old wife's tales" going on in here...!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,644,584 times
I might add, my experiences were in So Calif. It might be different if the cars in question sat through a few blizzards or a humid summer or two....

Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,431,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
As far as some years being sold as new models, that can't happen, as the manufacturing date is stamped right on the car. If you tried to sell an unsold 87 as an 88, the buyer could look at the manufacture date, and own the dealership who tried that trick.

They certainly can sell it as a new car, as long as it has never been titled.

There is no "trick" about it.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,204,296 times
In March of 89, a Chevy dealer ran a huge ad that stated they had--5--88 Chevy Novas for sale ( twins to the Totota Corolla )

I never recalled them stocking Novas on their lot as they were not hot sellers.

I bought one for $8890 and put 256,000 trouble free miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive