Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 AM

105 posts, read 245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Range Rovers always have had dependability issuess, they are plagued with problems even new ones. The Mercedes' aren't too much better

What???? Mercedes plagued with problems, all cars have their issues but the quality of German engineering is ten time that of ***/American built cars, come on!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,473,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
buy it cheap, ls1, 4l60e, run with it and be reliable
agreed a chevy or ford pick-ups are some of the most relaible trucks on the road

Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,775,858 times
Quote:
What???? Mercedes plagued with problems, all cars have their issues but the quality of German engineering is ten time that of ***/American built cars, come on!!!
In the past this may have been true but Detroit is catching up with the times. Have you seen some of the new vehicles they have been putting out? Look at the new Cadillac CTS, Ford Fusion, Chevy Camaro, etc; they all will give the German's a run for their money. I'd take the new CTS-V over anything Mercedes or BMW offers.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,364,465 times
Yes... using the Mercedes S-Class as an example, the 1991-older models were superior in reliability to the 1992-newer models. In 1992 (and 90s in general), Mercedes became very complex cars and costly to service, while the 80s Mercedes were totally the opposite.

The later versions of the W140 (Mercedes S-Class 1992-99) were better cars starting in 1996-97, but were still complex and costly to service... then when the 2000 S-Class was redesigned, it was nightmares all over again. Beautiful cars though.

Exceptions though is my uncle has a 1992 S-Class thats been a very reliable car... his dad bought it new. Also, alot of people complain about the M-Class SUV, but my aunts 1999 ML320 has taken alot of abuse, but has never given any real issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
In the past this may have been true but Detroit is catching up with the times. Have you seen some of the new vehicles they have been putting out? Look at the new Cadillac CTS, Ford Fusion, Chevy Camaro, etc; they all will give the German's a run for their money. I'd take the new CTS-V over anything Mercedes or BMW offers.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 PM

18,561 posts, read 15,475,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
I dont know. I've owned 2 mercedes (including an S 500), a Range Rover, and a BMW, and my current Tahoe beats them all. It is the most comfortable, the best in snow, carries the most stuff, and hasn't given me a lick of trouble in the 2 years I have owned it. I think (or at least I hope) a lot of this anti-American car stuff is a thing of the past.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,835 times
I just recently purchased a Range Rover Sport LUX, I have only had the vehicle for 4 weeks and I am already having to bring it to the dealer. The sunroof leaks when going through a car wash, the entire electrical system is messed up, my audio doesn't work, the navigation doesn't even turn on, the blue tooth doesn't work, the back-up camera doesn't work, the parking sensors don't work. I am now getting warnings that the battery is low. Tell me how that could be given it is 4 weeks old and I have never left anything on in the car to run the batter low?

I'm already consulting with an attorney to Lemon the car out. Boy was I excited to get the new Range Rover but it seems like they have too many problems.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:14 AM

105 posts, read 245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CApolo19 View Post
I just recently purchased a Range Rover Sport LUX, I have only had the vehicle for 4 weeks and I am already having to bring it to the dealer. The sunroof leaks when going through a car wash, the entire electrical system is messed up, my audio doesn't work, the navigation doesn't even turn on, the blue tooth doesn't work, the back-up camera doesn't work, the parking sensors don't work. I am now getting warnings that the battery is low. Tell me how that could be given it is 4 weeks old and I have never left anything on in the car to run the batter low?

I'm already consulting with an attorney to Lemon the car out. Boy was I excited to get the new Range Rover but it seems like they have too many problems.

I'm not surprised my business partner has had two Rang Rovers, both from new, nothing but mechanical and electrical problems!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,376,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CApolo19 View Post

Actually, a lot of that sounds like it IS caused by the battry or alternator. On a lot of modern vehicles with extensive, complex electrical systems, a bad battery can cause ALL sorts of havoc. I've seen it in all brands. Start there. BTW, you don't have to "leave anything on." The security system and radio ALWAY have a draw on the battery. In most modern cars. And if the battery has a bad cell or two, it can go flat in a week.

Sunroofs leak in most cars with them. The seals often dry out in a couple years.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah the resale is terrible nothing like buying a 80K range rover then 2-3 years later it worth less than 30K even less if it has no fact. warranty left over
Resale is horrid on most luxury cars. My BMW 740iL was bought a 8 years old for a 10th of what it cost brand new. Most top luxury brand/models lose half their value in the first two years. That's why I'd ONLY buy them used after the original owner has taken the depreciation hit...

Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM

As to the thread subject..

I'm on my third Range Rover. my first was an $800 '88 SWB. Fun offroad rig. Very rugged and reliable, but kind of slow. Loved it, however:

Ended up selling it for what I had into it and buying a '95 County LWB version:

Daily driver for my wife and tow rig for our camper. Excellent rig both on and off road, and only needed an ignition switch (and battery) in the entire time we owned it. Replaced it a year and a half ago with a 2001 4.6 HSE (the balck one in the last pic):

We've been all over the East coast in it. Great truck, and never needed anything. I'm at 85k miles now, and shoudl go for many more years. if I'm "lucky" I dont' see how I'm consistently lucky over all these years with multiple rigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive