Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,723,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Fair enough...it was just that you said it without any caveat stating it was in your own personal opinion.

I bought mine because of their UTILITY and WORTHINESS in bad conditions....in that respect, I could make a strong case that they are unsurpassed.

I often wonder about those people who buy them just to cruise around on perfect roads and/or put fancy rims and low profile tires on them too. But that's not Rover's fault.
You are correct; it's not Rover's fault for all the poseurs out there driving one. I will admit than in theory, they should be good vehicles, but virtually everything that I have seen and heard regarding RR reliability has been negative. I am glad that your experience has been a good one.
Even I have heard of good experiences with cars that have bad reputations. One of my closest friends still owns a 1986 Jaguar XJS coupe that he bought new, and he has had next to nothing in repairs needed. It's his wife's car, and the mileage is still under 50,000. Needless to say, these cars have a less than stellar reliability record, but his experience is in the distinct minority, I would think.
I am a huge anglophile, but no Range Rover for me, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,663,007 times
Today's Jags aren't any more unreliable than many hi-end cars. The more bells and whistles you have, the more there is to go wrong...and it's often those things that most standard cars don't even have.

When Ford bought them, the problems virtually disappeared. The bulk of the electrical components are Bosch now.

I have a 2004 Jaguar X-type AWD that's been rock solid. The only problem I've had is with the back-up sensors getting water in them and then exploding when they froze-up. But the entire back-up alarm system is a Ford product identical to my Ford pick-up. It's just that the outer sensors are placed in a location that gets hammered by snow and slush. I don't really need the alarm anyhow, so I ignore that problem.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,480,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Sunroofs leak in most cars with them. The seals often dry out in a couple years.

Not factory-installed sunroofs. Aftermarket, yes.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,362,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Not factory-installed sunroofs. Aftermarket, yes.
Cites? I've dealt with hundreds of factory sunroofs with poor seals and clogged drains causing leaks in fairly new cars. Rubber seals, especially on a roof where the sun can bake them, tend to dry out, shrink, and crack and no longer seal. And they can do that in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,480,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Cites? I've dealt with hundreds of factory sunroofs with poor seals and clogged drains causing leaks in fairly new cars. Rubber seals, especially on a roof where the sun can bake them, tend to dry out, shrink, and crack and no longer seal. And they can do that in a surprisingly short amount of time.

I've owned a bunch and sold hundreds.

Maybe in 10 or 15 years, but a couple years?

Baloney.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,723,365 times
None of the 5 cars that I have owned with factory sunroofs has ever leaked. My wife's car , new in 2000, is 10 years old, and nary a leak.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM

24,682 posts, read 26,256,936 times
The 3 new cars that I have owned with sun roofs have never leaked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive