Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:47 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times

Advertisements

I just started noticing that when people open the doors on Chevyor GMC trucks that the white "back up" lights come on. No one is in the driver seat, and the engine is off. Why did they do that? Is it to announce that a person is driving an SUV or a truck? If it were the red lights I wouldn't mind, but the white ones are pretty bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,794,996 times
I've noticed that too, and I've had to wonder why.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,728,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I just started noticing that when people open the doors on Chevyor GMC trucks that the white "back up" lights come on. No one is in the driver seat, and the engine is off. Why did they do that? Is it to announce that a person is driving an SUV or a truck? If it were the red lights I wouldn't mind, but the white ones are pretty bright.
Not certain it applies to all General Motors vehicles, dkf . . .

However, that particular feature is linked to the Key FOB unlock options on my truck and is great safety feature when approaching the vehicle in a poorly lit parking area.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,725,055 times
Its just an exterior illumination feature if you need to get out of your car in the dark and would like to see around. Im sure many of you have heard of Twilight Sentinel systems that simply keeps headlights and other external light sources on for a set time or not at all.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:23 PM

71 posts, read 262,920 times
I like that feature on my Cadillac. I can see everything around my car at night.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

However, that particular feature is linked to the Key FOB unlock options on my truck and is great safety feature when approaching the vehicle in a poorly lit parking area.
How is it a safety feature? What was unsafe prior to this feature coming out? I think it might actually be unsafe. It looks like the truck is going to back up. What happens when people realize it doesn't mean that anymore. Will they walk, or drive, behind it thinking, "it's just that feature and doesn't mean anyone is backing up", only to discover that they really were backing up after getting hit by the truck?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
How is it a safety feature? What was unsafe prior to this feature coming out? I think it might actually be unsafe. It looks like the truck is going to back up. What happens when people realize it doesn't mean that anymore. Will they walk, or drive, behind it thinking, "it's just that feature and doesn't mean anyone is backing up", only to discover that they really were backing up after getting hit by the truck?
Very valid point, dkf.

On the flip side . . . how safe is it to approach a vehicle in a poorly lighted parking space?

Also, as I posted earlier, it is an option and is easily disabled.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid point, dkf.

On the flip side . . . how safe is it to approach a vehicle in a poorly lighted parking space?

Also, as I posted earlier, it is an option and is easily disabled.
That was one of my questions. Is it really unsafe without that feature. How did we get by all these years without it?

If they could come up with a way to do it without using the backup lights then my earlier point is moot.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
That was one of my questions. Is it really unsafe without that feature. How did we get by all these years without it?

If they could come up with a way to do it without using the backup lights then my earlier point is moot.
The owner of the vehicle is able to eliminate that feature with a click of a button.

As for your "How did we get by . . . ?" question . . . that could apply to Seat Belts, Air Bags, ABS and the list could be as long as your arm.

In my initial post, I was merely responding to your question, not endorsing the benefits or disadvantages of the feature.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,251,779 times
I think its good, but I think when the car is actually backing up with the reverse lamps on, there should also be some sort of flashing red light to alert the car actually moving and educate people on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive