Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what they are called (clearance lights?), but most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have them on the top of the cab. What's the purpose of the lights?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
They help the drive see better when it is dark.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They help the drive see better when it is dark.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
they look cool!

seriously though ,for off road use the higher up you get the lights the further out they can throw. many states force you to have covers over the lenses when not off road.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Common use in my hometown is to illegally hunt at night. They use the lights to make the deer panic and not move. It is an easy kill.

edit: I did not see the picture the op was referring to. The lights I am referring to are spot lights I see in my hometown.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Marker lights required by DOT for vehicles/trailers over a certain width...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
These roof mounted lights are "clearance" lights since the trucks they are used on a work trucks that sit higher than a normal 1/2 ton truck.

Why clearance lights?

To mark the top most outline of the truck per DOT for a wide variety of overhead clearance needs.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default Clearance, not off-road, lighting

I believe the OP is asking about "clearance" lights, not roof-top off-road lights. They seem to be required in the US on vehicles over 80" wide. This probably started in the 1920's or 30s when the headlights on trucks were much closer together. See Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 is listed as 80" wide.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks, clearance lights is the name. Found a 100 post thread on a Ford forum going over it. This is the best explanation I found:

Quote:
The way it was explained to me at CDL school, is the clearance lights are there so other drivers will know when a larger vehicle is on the road. When traveling down a two lane highway (1 lane each direction), then it helps to know when an on coming vehicle is taking up the majority of it's lane. Most of us will inch over to the right when approaching a big rig but may not do the same when the vehicle appears to be smaller (such as Civic or Prius etc). Headlights alone do not communicate how wide the approaching vehicle may be so the clearance lights help. It becomes more critical when you are hauling a wide load yourself because you may not have much room to move over so both drivers need to know they each are approaching a wider than normal vehicle.

Amber lights means the vehicle is heading towards you. Red lights means that the vehicle is heading the same direction as you are. This is super important because a vehicle can be in your lane and if you see amber lights then you know it may be trying to pass another vehicle and a potential danger is present. If red lights are ahead, then you automatically know that a wider vehicle is ahead and it may be traveling slower than you so beware.

So, it's all about safety as far as I can tell.

So, why have cab lights on SRW trucks if they aren't over 80" wide? the answer is that sometimes a SRW truck needs clearance lights if it's been fitted with a specialty bed (such as glass racks) or if the truck is towing a trailer that is wider than 80". Most all box trailer or RVs have the necessary lights so the tow vehicle doesn't need them but what about flat bed or boat trailers? My boat was 102" wide so the tow vehicle needs clearance lights to be legal. My SRW truck came with cab lights from the factory but my wife's truck did not. I was actually pulled over when I was using my wife's truck to tow the boat and the officer let me off the hook with a warning. I added cab lights a couple of weeks later. The officer wasn't being picky, he was 100% correct. The road to the lake is a dirt road through some canyon passes and it's only a single lane in some places. So on coming traffic needs to know when a wide vehicle is approaching.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
on pickup's its only used for a styling feature. I have a huge 2500HD Chevy for work and I ordered it with the lights. My bud has the exact same truck as mine in a GMC and his was not ordered with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive