Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:03 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
The new Ford Taurus is worth a close look. Being European, you might appreciate the Dodge Magnum - it's a pretty stylish 'estate' car. Cadilac is also rolling out a wagon version of the CTS that might be worth a test drive; check it out.
I am not a big fan of American sedans, GM, or certainly Cadillac, but I like the concept (at least) of the CTS Sportwagon. (Always have liked station wagons.)

As to sedans, I would take a look at the Taurus.

Both are a bit large for my tastes, but that is just me.

I would not touch a Chysler product with a ten foot pole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 43,349 times
First, thanks for all the tips. I do have to do some homestudying here.

@Steve-O: V8 was mainly a US car, as discussed in another thread ad CD right now about musclecars in europe. I will probably go back to europe in one year - and bring one musclecar with me. I am not planning on putting a ***/european car in a container - it does not simply make sense.(Except a few ones, like Volvo XC90 for example) A musclecar with a V8 is usually highly priced over there - bigger difference than here between a smaller V6 option/V8 option.

The problem is just that there´s a lot to choose from..

@GTOLover: Thanks for all those pictures and thourough information. The chrysler 300 is actually one of the few US car that was received wll in Europe and journalists liked it - but i am not sure if that´s considered good or bad here ?

@Drover: The G8 sure seems nice, i tried to do a quick search, but i could not find that Opel were going to get the Holden in their name as well, i think i read something about saturn/opel were going to be the twinbrands - before the crash and bailout and..
Stickshift is not actually on the list, for that simple reason that i would like my wife to drive that car and not sitting next to her saying - "you can gear up now" all the time. I would hate to hear that car coming down the street with the wrong gear in all the time.

@hoffdano:It´s the V8(and the power). Its hard to get the sound to sound 'right' with a few cylinders less?

@Tenneseestorm: Yes, Indiana/michigan. But all my previous cars had more salt than you use here and coped with it better than this one. There´s simply no way I would say that a 3 year old car should that much visible rust, even if it´s been somewhat misstreated.

@Pokermunkee: No i didn't specify a pricerange but <=$35k is probably what it will be. Regarding the lawnmover - i'll probably throw one in the container as well..

The dodge magnum is one car that i've looked closer at. RWD should be enough, although AWD would be nice, the risk is though that i would be too tempted to throw some iceracing tires and give a go during the winter. It´s fairly high priced to in Europe, which would be good for me if/when I decide to sell it later.

if it has limited slip diffrential RWD should be enough. I've looked at the Subarus too, AWD is always good if you have too drive during those days when its really bad weather/go on steep roads wintertime//tow something where it´s muddy/ etc.

I´ll just go and pick a cheaper car for now, which at least will buy me some thinking time. Hmm, I saw an ad for a cheap Jag '00. The ad stated that it was running fine in engine and transmission, which probably means that the suspension is bad, which is easy to repair..
-Why can't I never buy a normal car?
(but it is a lot of fun trying to avoid it)

Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
Ford Taurus SHO (New)
Cadillac -V series, preferably CTS, but STS may also be an option. Look for a recent certified per-owned model.

If you are in a snowy area, go with the Taurus it has AWD. The Caddy's only come RWD.

Avoid Chysler product, the build quality and reliability are suspect.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Indeed, given your requirements I would stick to either Ford or Cadillac.

Chrysler has been in trouble in this country since 1980, because they build junk and vehicles that nobody wants. They were bailed out by the federal government in 1980 and that didn't fix it. Mercedes bought them and it almost destroyed Mercedes. The Germans actually made Chrysler's problems worse by creating such a confusing conflicting line-up and they never addressed the real issues. Now the big plan is for Fiat to fix it. You are from Europe so you should know how laughable that might be. I will be surprised if Chrysler is around in a few years which would make your purchase worthless if they go under. (and you better take a lot of spare parts with you)

Ford is going to end up being one of the big global players. (along with VW, Toyota and Hyundai) I am not as sure about GM, but they are a long way from being in Chrysler's shape and there are a lot of political reasons for not only the USA but the EU as well to keep them around. Cadillac and even Chevy are probably pretty safe bets.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Fifth Avenues were alright until 89, but after those Chrysler really didn't show anything good until the 300.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
sne4 too bad you want a four door this since you are going to be taking your car back to europe with you in a year a camaro SS would be alot more interersting and fun to drive but if you need a 4-door V-8 go with the G8 GXP it would be the most fun and best bang for your buck.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 PM

14 posts, read 43,349 times
Now the cheaper car is bought at least - a 2002 Grand Cherokee with the 235hp V8, so mama won't get stuck during the winter.

@GTOlover: Well if the price difference is high enough i could perhaps convince my wife that a Camaro SS is a good investment that we will get a good return on if we sell it, I'll have to work on it. In one year the little girl should be able to buckle up herself, so perhaps if I work on my argumentation a little bit..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 AM

437 posts, read 929,530 times
2010 Ford Taurus SHO 4 door fullsize sedan with 345hp great mpg! AWD!
Attached Thumbnails
What american car to buy?-2010-ford-taurus-sho-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive