Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The guy asks for recommendations on a 4-door V8 and you suggest a 2-seat, 2-door V10 sports coupe. Good call.
hey ya never know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Town Car/Crown Vic and it's measly 240hp doesn't count. C'mon now. May as well suggest an F250 crew cab

The still available Mercury Gran Marquis is based on the Crown Vic and with the H&P package has the 240 hp V-8 with real dual exhausts and a handling suspension AND the self leveling rear suspension. I think the 240 HP motor is underrated because my 2003 Crown Vic Sport with that motor was a strong runner. And very smooth.

In any event an H&P Marquis is a roomy, reliable and good running and handling car. The car is made in Ontario by CUAW members.

Sometimes I still miss that old Vic Sport. One thing was for sure, you didn't see them every day.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,218,445 times
Hello there. Out of curiosity, has the Buick been driven in salty conditions? So strange for a 2006 car to rust, unless its driven in the salt belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sne4 View Post

So far the only thing I can say about US cars is that the 2006 Buick I drive right now already have rusted more than my old 1999 Opel/Vauxhall that I sold before i moved here - and opel is not a brand known for it´s good rust protection that´s for sure.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Hello there. Out of curiosity, has the Buick been driven in salty conditions? So strange for a 2006 car to rust, unless its driven in the salt belt.
yeah that is kinda odd I live in vancouver where we get lots of snow and the roads get covered in salt plus being in close to the oceans moist slat air make it worse only my 91 F250 has justt of surface rust on it and all I do is just take it through the carwash a few time in winter to take off some off the salt but a modren 3 year old car to be rusting is not verynormal

Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
You didn't specify a price point. Best bang for the buck V8 4 door sedan is the Cadillac CTS-V (~550hp) for around $65K. Then the G8 GXP (not made anymore) for around $35K.

You can get a used CTS-V with a bit less HP (~400hp) and a 6 speed manual in the low $20's. That should knock your socks off coming from Europe where my lawnmower has more HP than most cars there

Or live it up and get a 2005+ Corvette if you want to have some fun. I see you live in the Indiana area, so snow will be a factor. I'd go with a 2005+ Subaru Legacy GT Limited. AWD+250hp turbo = Pretty quick in stock form. Yeah, it's not American, but there aren't many choices from the Big 3 with AWD. You can get the new SHO in AWD but that's pushing over $40k. You can get the Charger RT/300C/Magnum RT in AWD, which is a 5.7L V8 with 340HP.

I personally have a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD and it has enough power to satisify me and works great in the snow and ice. My wife has a 2006 TrailBlazer SS, which has a 6.0L pushing about 400HP. It comes in RWD or AWD. You can pick a 2006 up for around $20K fully loaded out. Fun truck and hauls ass for a large heavy SUV! Jeep SRT8 would be another great choice if you want a fast AWD SUV, comes with a 6.1L pushing 420HP. More expensive than a TBSS though but worth it if you have the $$.

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 11-12-2009 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
All these people recommending Pontiwrecks forget that GM is dropping the brand. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
No American car brand is all that great, but at least they're no worse than European brands. Usually they're better in most cases. As for quality among the Big Three, they're all about the same. The only difference is each one is known for different problems. It all evens out in the wash from where I'm standing, which at the moment is a slow day at an automotive repair center.

I'd go with Ford, since they're the only ones with any financial sense. To get a true American car experience, get a big one with a V-8 and an automatic transmission. Also, don't forget to make lot's of money to pay for gas and the occasional repair.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,883 times
The new Ford Taurus is worth a close look. Being European, you might appreciate the Dodge Magnum - it's a pretty stylish 'estate' car. Cadilac is also rolling out a wagon version of the CTS that might be worth a test drive; check it out.

Last edited by Eastern Roamer; 11-13-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM

563 posts, read 929,540 times
2010 Ford Fusion 2010 Ford Fusion Engine Specs | The Official Site of the 2010 Ford Fusion | FordVehicles.com
A great quality car; I am biased to Ford, but still, they at the best of the American brands now. The Fusion is closest to European handling and abilities. The Sport model looks great, and is priced quite affordably. Best thing to do, pick out a few brands that have your interest and then go test drive them. That'll help rule out some models.
Good luck.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,280 times
Go with the Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger

Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sne4 View Post
I would really like to hear what you guys have to say about american cars, I that just moved here from Europe have to buy one or two cars to get around. Therefore I would really appreciate some pros and cons on the different brands. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to what car to buy, but something with 4 doors and a V8 under the hood are 2 things that would be nice. Pricerange, well depends on, but not brand new or older than 5 years.

So far the only thing I can say about US cars is that the 2006 Buick I drive right now already have rusted more than my old 1999 Opel/Vauxhall that I sold before i moved here - and opel is not a brand known for it´s good rust protection that´s for sure.

My US colleges here says - don't buy american cars - it´s says built to last, but it´s not really true..

So, convince me guys, otherwise i'll pick up something european/japanese next weekend for my wife to drive.
The list of good American sedans is pretty short imo - I'd look at the CTS, CTS-V, Pontiac G8, GXP, or the Ford Taurus SHO. Thats pretty much it for American sedans that are fun to drive, and the Pontiac is really an Australian car.

Short of buying a European car, I'd look at the Hyundai Genesis sedan if I wanted a nice rwd V8 sedan. Or a Lexus GS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive