Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But many of those old cars just weren't very good. They didn't ride well, they were slow, they were thirsty, they didn't stop well, and they weren't safe.

But they were easy to work on. And that's a good thing because they needed service so often.
I drive a 1978 Mercury Grand marquis, a 4,700 pound car with 4 wheel disc brakes and hydroboost instead the usual brake booster which means this car stops really well. It also has sway bars front and back, a recirculating ball steering gear with a saginaw steering pump which makes for great steering and cornering. The electronic ignition system is a almost no maintenance factory duraspark setup which I recurved for better performance. The car is comfortable and safe to drive and very reliable with basically a truck drivetrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:11 AM

26 posts, read 92,996 times
German craftsmanship so far satisfies my standards in cars. I would buy American , but the only American car I would buy is the corvette, nothing more nothing less.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
I'll pass on the American cars. I've owned mostly Japanese (some European~ Swedish and German), and will keep it that way. Why ruin a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
American cars are made better than imports these days, and it supports our way of life.
Hell yeah I'd buy one!
Too little, too late.....
..You lost me there...(supports our way of life???? What way of life?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
I will put my 07 Tahoe up against any import car or truck for reliability, best dam SUV on the planet!
Come tell me that 5 years down the line....

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Good point.. and imports are made in the US

Toyota Matrix (California)
Subaru Outback (Indiana)
Subaru B9 Tribeca (")
Hyundai Sonata (Alabama)
Mercedes ML (Alabama)

etc

FOXNews.com - Some American Cars Are Foreign-Owned, but Made in the U.S.A. - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

so if one buys a foreign car made in the US does this count as buying American?
These companies still benefit, but so do American workers. Win win situation, if you ask me.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
As anyone who has read my post in the past, I was a big GM fan and defender. Not any more. Especially since, less than a year after my warranty expired, very expensive problems are popping up on my car. Problems that GM knew about for close to ten years before my car was built and never corrected and expect me to pay for the repairs out of my own pocket to correct their mistakes. My only mistake was trusting GM. Never again. Chrysler isn't much better. Ford has improved thanks to Volvo (Taurus) and Mazda (Fusion).

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM

844 posts, read 2,102,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
..You lost me there...(supports our way of life???? What way of life?)
The American way of life that import owners have been destroying little by little over the last 25 years Heil!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Frankly I would have a hard time trusting any of teh big htree to teh point that I use to. They bascailly caused their own problem in owner loyality by producing junk cars that many loss alot of money on. I'll stick to honda and toyota as long as they continue to give the reliabilty they have for me in the past.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Anyway, I converted the Dart's engine to electronic ignition. No points to change! Spark plugs lasted longer, too.
When it had points, they would last a couple of years. It was no big deal changing them... I could put in new ones and adjust them in about 30 minutes. Spark plugs lasted a few years. Again, no big deal. I could change those in 40 minutes without even rushing! I'd rather do that than try to do any kind of engine work on a new car!
Man ain't that the truth. Had to change plugs on my 'burban a few months back. Glad they lasted 100,000 mi because there were a couple of them that were nearly impossible to get to. It was an all-morning event to change the plugs and I even had help from my FIL! That job on an old car wouldn't have taken more than an hour tops!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,372 times
I owned a 2008 New American made vehicle and it seemed to be a good vehicle. However, a few months of ownership the thing was in the dealer once a month because of repairs.

-Front seats were replaced because of leather stretching and tearing. The leather seats showed a smooth wear after 1 year after replacing them with new.
-The plastic on the right side of the passenger seat cracked and fell off twice.
-Upgraded minutes to OnStar and we could not use our 100 minutes because the entire system stopped working for 10 days. I made 3 scheduled trips to the dealer to get it fixed. Dealer and OnStar blamed each other for the problem...
-Two tires would not hold air and would leak out within 2 months.
-A/C clutch "banged" when engaged and my wife jumped and fell to the ground the first time it happened. -Dealer replaced the A/C clutch. A week later as two older women were entering our vehicle the clutch "banged" again the one woman got so scared she didn't want to ride home with us.
- Too many dealer excuses as to why we did not get a compass in the dash where it shows we should have.

I sold the vehicle with it's Black exterior and Tan leather interior after less than 2 years with 22,000 miles just last week and it was worth less than 45% of what we paid. A complete disgrace and I will never ever buy an American car again.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 AM

135 posts, read 516,032 times
The Big 3 caused their own problems! PEROID! They knew what they were producing wouldn't last 10 yrs let alone 5. So to make money you build in flaws and refuse to cover it leaving a very bad taste in the consumers mouths while they pocket big money. But what happens when they start loosing customers.....Oh, were sorry, can we borrow billions of dollars from you nice tax paying consumers to bail our sorry azz' out and then we'll build better cars....

Yeah right! I'm an older german car guy, and before you throw any stones I do have a 68 Caddy also which will run forever. If the Big 3 want my business then they need to build them like they use to.

Chrysler seems to be going down the tubes faster than the other 2. Great looking cars but the reliability of those cars & trucks is awful not to mention the gas they guzzle but they sill want 40K for a Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi V8 that gets 14MPG??? My '68 Caddy Cpe deVille which weighs 4200 lbs with a 472 V8 375 HP get better MPG than that!

Ford was rather quite when all 3 starting asking for bail outs. Stating they would take care of their own. Hats off to them for that. Their car line has improved with the Fusion series but sill falls short.

Seems none of them can get past the 60's era. Putting more into the Mustang, GM's Camero and Dodge's Challenger kind of cars instead of what we need. Economic cars & trucks for the times that will last for awhile and not brake a families bank in repairs and upkeep. Don't get me wrong, I'm a car nut and love the older muscle cars but times are changing and the US needs to make some big changes in order to stay in the front running.

GM.."The PIG" I could really care less if GM fails or suceeds. It would be a great to see them break up and go down the tubes. Making cars that blow engines, tranny, electrical faults.....Looking at car complaint dot com's web site its sickening to see all the stories about GM cars and trucks. The PIG has made it's bed, let them sleep in it..............Just saw the new Cadillac commerical for the CTS line???? Like we need 4 different versions of the SAME car? What a waste.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM

195 posts, read 427,350 times
I buy the car and/or truck my heart desires no matter foreign or American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive