Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I guess the domestic automakers only make Corvettes and trucks?
No kidding? Those are the only things the domestics make that I would buy.

Nuance is lost on you, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
No kidding? Those are the only things the domestics make that I would buy.

Nuance is lost on you, huh?
And its a shame you only like our big trucks and Corvettes, the domestics offer solid competition in EVERY category, and recently have been king-of-the-hill with several models.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,718 times
^ Whatever...

They do not offer WHAT I WANT in the category that I use! How hard is that for you to understand?

I think the small sedans are garbage, they offer very few hatchbacks, and they DO NOT offer a diesel wagon like VW does.

It is your opinion that the domestics offer solid competition in EVERY category, while not true, you are entitled to that opinion.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
I currently have a GM vehicle and a japanese vehicle. Both were built in the US. Both of them on the most part are built pretty well and if maintained have few issues. Having had numerous GM (Ford & Chrylers to) vehicles through the years, the quality has gotten better over the past 20ish years and having numerous japanese vehicles has, quality, more or less always been there. The differences I see (2002 and newer) is that the GM vehicles have more failures but cost less to repair (I've had two tows). The japanese (US built) have few problems but have been more costlier to repair (no tows). In all the vehicles I've owned I've never seen this trend flip flop.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,556 times
the day they remake the 57 Chevy Belair, I'll buy one.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
...But it all makes sense, youre from Virginia... You guys loved America so much that you seceded and were the capitol of a rogue "nation". Makes sense that you would rather support Japan than Detroit. Old habits die hard, hmm?

Dude, I hate to break it to you....but America STARTED in Virginia....Jamestown, to be exact....the first successful settlement in the New World.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Dude, I hate to break it to you....but America STARTED in Virginia....Jamestown, to be exact....the first successful settlement in the New World.

Dude, that would be news to the Spanish who had cities in the New World that were 100 years old by the time Jamestown was settled in 1607, pretty late going when you consider the Spanish discovery of the New World was in.....remember Dude?.......1492.

The Spanish also had cities in what is now The United States that were going concerns before Jamestown was established, St. Augustine was founded by Pedro Menendez (one of my favorite guys in American history) in 1565.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
I would buy an American full-size truck.

If I was buying a midsize or compact truck, i'd get a Japanese.

If I was buying a car, I would buy Japanese or German.

As to the claims of "improved reliability" - Do you know how a 2010 Taurus is going to run in 2019? I know I don't. All I know is that my 2003 Ford sedan is falling apart today, with less than 60,000 miles.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 AM

436 posts, read 908,679 times
I wouldn't for the most part, but that's because American cars are next to impossible to find with a stick shift."

Corvette!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Dude, that would be news to the Spanish who had cities in the New World that were 100 years old by the time Jamestown was settled in 1607, pretty late going when you consider the Spanish discovery of the New World was in.....remember Dude?.......1492.

The Spanish also had cities in what is now The United States that were going concerns before Jamestown was established, St. Augustine was founded by Pedro Menendez (one of my favorite guys in American history) in 1565.
Wow tom, thanks... I learn something new every day!

This clears up a lot of things too...I was wondering why there is so much Spanish spoken here in the DC area. Hell, my employer is even offering to pay for Spanish lessons for all of us. So, it's all this Pedro guy's fault, huh?

About this New World stuff....I heard that the Vikings were actually the first ones over here, but I don't believe it. Da Bears maybe, but not the Vikings!

PS: What did you think of Pepe's Apizza? I ate a lot of Frank's pizza as a kid...my grandfather's house on West Park Ave backed up to the Pepe's house on Hubinger St. My mom even dated one of Pepe's sons....but she eventually fell for an Irish guy on Foster St. The family was horrified.

My Pepe connections paid off during my college years...I could get my bud's in the back door while the line out front snaked down the street.

Damned shame how New Haven has declined...it was a great town when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive