Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times

Advertisements

How can I tell if they really did the alignment on my car?

Sunday night on my way home I hit a nasty deep pothole and damaged the right front tire. Luckily, I was not quite 1 mile from home there was enough air to get me home....in fact the tire pressure reading slowly decreased and as I pulled in my parking place, it hit 1 pound of air....whew. Called AAA and got them to change out to the spare (yes, I can change a tire. but I have a cast on my wrist right now from a fracture). Went to the dealership (it's a new car) because I have tire warranty included on the car. Of course, the rim was damaged, knew that and I figured the alignment was out so I was prepared for that. They replaced the tire, fixed the rim (or replaced?) replaced the tire pressure sensor and aligned the car. And I was on my merry way....

Last night I was looking at all the paperwork and noticed at the top of the paperwork for the alignment was a different car model.....year and model...I figured they just crossed up the paperwork, but now it's nagging at me....did they really do the alignment?

I wasn't really impressed with the service writer, my usual writer has moved away and isn't at the dealership anymore....I'd have no doubts if it was him, but this guy didn't seem to be on the ball...

Is there any way I can tell for sure that it was aligned? I didn't really notice any problems before I took it in, but the dealership is back down the original road and my apartment about 1 mile, so I didn't really drive it that far, plus with the spare, it's kinda hard to notice anything like pulling.

Am I paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Am I paranoid?
Not really. Even if you saw your car up on the alignment rack, there's no guarantee the tech did it right. The paperwork you should've received would show specs for caster, camber and toe with a before and after comparison.

Do you have a document like that?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
How can I tell if they really did the alignment on my car?
Short answer, you can't.
Sometimes there will be obvious markings on alignment components that indicate adjustment was made, but without knowing what corrections were done to correct what specifications, an untrained eye such as yours would certainly have no idea what to look for.
The only certain way is to put it back on the rack.

Possibly,alignment machines are often littered with unused print outs from prior vehicles and the tech may have innocently attached the wrong one to your repair order without realizing it.
You can always go back to the dealer and show them that they provided you with an incorrect spec sheet and see what happens. Short of that, you will have to trust it was done or pay to have it checked elsewhere.

Also,keep an eye on tire wear. Incorrect alignment settings don't always translate into something that is perceptible from behind the wheel.

You also mention that you were uncertain if they repaired or replaced a rim.
Always understand what you are paying for before approving and handing over the $$$. If you do not understand, ask for clarification.This is your responsibility as a consumer.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Wheel Alignment Explained - What is Caster, Camber, Toe In, Toe Out, Alignment - Four Wheel Alignment

Old 12-02-2008, 10:56 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
...The only certain way is to put it back on the rack...
The car manufacture will demand documentation from the dealer that the warranty work was done, signed by you. That's how the dealer gets paid for the job by the manufacturer (i.e. You buy a Ford warranty, the dealer repairs the Ford and wants paid by Ford, Ford receives paperwork signed by customer [you] proving the work was done, Ford pays the dealer). All your dealer can prove, right now, is that they did the work on the wrong car. If the receipts are incorrect, the work isn't warranteed. Get it right!

Last edited by ESFP; 12-02-2008 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure if a rim could be repaired or if it had to be replaced, that's why I phrased it like I did. There was a breakdown on the paperwork for the alignment, it just listed a different model and year of car....I kinda figured he grabbed the wrong paperwork off the printer. I've always had really good service at this dealership, that's why I went back when I decided to buy a new car. And had complete faith in my service writer...he knew I am single, and have no family to help me here and was always very helpful, even took my car home one night to see if he could determine what the rattling I heard but no one else did. And he did figure it out. With him gone and the guy who wrote my order being not the most informative or concerned, my mind started wandering. I may stop back by on my way home and see if there is a way to "reprint" my paperwork.

I don't think they'd play games with the warranty company, that's how the current owner got the dealership, the Manufacturer contacted him, talked him out of retirement and allowed him to purchase this dealership from the shady previous owner. I heard the Mfg and warranty companies refused to deal with the previous owner....from a dealer in another state!!!

thanks guys!!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
You also mention that you were uncertain if they repaired or replaced a rim.
Always understand what you are paying for before approving and handing over the $$$. If you do not understand, ask for clarification.This is your responsibility as a consumer.
because the warranty covered the rim also, I didn't have to pay for it, but didn't know if it could be repaired (reshaped?) or if it was the type of part that had to be replaced.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Well it depends on how "involved" you are with your alignments but I usually bring a copy of the spec/tolerance sheet from my factory service manual... give it to the people and then ask for the computer print-out. I still don't trust them, looking into an alignment system of my own.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:29 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Quote:
because the warranty covered the rim also, I didn't have to pay for it, but didn't know if it could be repaired (reshaped?) or if it was the type of part that had to be replaced.
Warranty or not you should receive an itemized invoice showing new or repaired.
How was a rim you damaged covered under warranty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive