Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 AM

12 posts, read 19,065 times

Advertisements

I just got a new tire the other day and went to get an Alignment for all my tires. Well i was driving on the road and my back tires starting shaking like they were going to fall off.So next day I went to go get them balance at another shop to see if that was the problem,So the mechanic I went to look and said whoever did my alignment did not put the bolt back in the tire.The mechanic had to drill it back in he also wrote on a paper what he had to do........... So i'm trying to get my money back from the alignment place and they won't give it back to me. What should I do? I'm very upset I could have died or hurt someone else driving on the highway with the bolt loose....Should I just take it as a loss or go to small claims court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 AM

223 posts, read 732,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mary2 View Post
I just got a new tire the other day and went to get an Alignment for all my tires. Well i was driving on the road and my back tires starting shaking like they were going to fall off.So next day I went to go get them balance at another shop to see if that was the problem,So the mechanic I went to look and said whoever did my alignment did not put the bolt back in the tire.The mechanic had to drill it back in he also wrote on a paper what he had to do........... So i'm trying to get my money back from the alignment place and they won't give it back to me. What should I do? I'm very upset I could have died or hurt someone else driving on the highway with the bolt loose....Should I just take it as a loss or go to small claims court?
If it were me and you have something in writing from the 2nd shop that some work wasn't performed correctly (by the 1st shop) I'd take them to small claims court. You're right, somebody could have been killed due to thier forgetfullness.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Why didn't you take the car back to the first shop? Why did you assume they had done something wrong and immediately set out to indict them, without giving them the opportunity to take care of the issue?

This sounds fishy.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I actually had a wheel come off because a body shop didn't tighten the bolts.

> So i'm trying to get my money back from the alignment place and they won't give it back to me.

Then your options are to sue or to let it go. Or you could post an internet review, that might hurt more than anything.

> Why didn't you take the car back to the first shop?

Maybe he went to the NEAREST shop?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why didn't you take the car back to the first shop? Why did you assume they had done something wrong and immediately set out to indict them, without giving them the opportunity to take care of the issue?

This sounds fishy.
It was night when it happend the shop was closed and I work on the other side of town,Your bolts don't just fall of.All I wanted was my money back my car was fine before I went there to get an alignment I had to go somewhere else to get a new alignment. I pray you never go though what i went though and then someone tells you your story sounds fishy.............

Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I actually had a wheel come off because a body shop didn't tighten the bolts.

> So i'm trying to get my money back from the alignment place and they won't give it back to me.

Then your options are to sue or to let it go. Or you could post an internet review, that might hurt more than anything.

> Why didn't you take the car back to the first shop?

Maybe he went to the NEAREST shop?
Thank you!!! I went to the nearest shop in town I work at nights so the next morning I had it towed in the town I work at took it to Two shops,I thought it was a balanced i needed,no the shop saw my bolt on my back tire very loose,he had to drill it and in process i got another alignment,I did not trust that shop to go back and have then fix it. All I wanted was my money back.........

Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

This sounds fishy.

Wow! Really!!

Maybe the OP is new so his post automatically became fishy, right?

OP: I think you have to get something in written from the 2nd shop and then see what the first shop has to say about it.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Wow! Really!!

Maybe the OP is new so his post automatically became fishy, right?

OP: I think you have to get something in written from the 2nd shop and then see what the first shop has to say about it.
thanks well the first shop said all we gotta do is call him,and the second shop wrote it down on paper. i might just take it as a loss considering i don't know the first thing about small claims...........

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Just for the record I had something very similar happen to me once.

Went to a shop for an oil change and had my tires rotated. I was a regular customer. After leaving and a couple of miles later I was accelerating onto the freeway and my car started shimmying and wobbling alarmingly so I pulled over, at the top on the onramp.

One of my front tires was almost off the wheel, clearly someone had neglected to tighten the bolts on that wheel. I tightened them up as best I could with the cheesy lug nut tightener thingy that came with the car and went straight back for them to check all my wheels.

They were very nonchalant about it, not even an apology. That ticked me off so I talked to the manager and told him that this was a seriously stupid thing his shop had done and I thought the oil change and tire rotation I'd just had done barely an hour before should be gratis, just as a show of apology and for customer goodwill, since I was a regular at the shop.

He refused, so I never went back, end of story.

Mary, small claims is really easy BUT you have to show loss or harm in order to get a judgement. In your case, this would be whatever the second shop charged you plus maybe the towing. But if it was just one bolt, something you could have fixed yourself at least enough to drive it to a shop, the towing charge may not be warranted. Even if you were wronged, you have an obligation to reduce your harm. If it was a small amount, it's really not worth it.

If you're talking $100 or less, leave a bad (but truthful) review on sites like Yelp and Angies List, then move on.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mary2 View Post
thanks well the first shop said all we gotta do is call him,and the second shop wrote it down on paper. i might just take it as a loss considering i don't know the first thing about small claims...........
The honest truth is that the first shop is extremely unlikely to refund any of your money. Period.

If you take them to small claims court, and even if you can prove they were at fault for this, it's still ultimately up to you to collect the money from them.

Any way you cut it, I don't think you're going to get your money back. I would, however, suggest writing some negative reviews on any format necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive