Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastBrit View Post
Both Sierra & Tahoe are slow to change gear(4 speed auto). Also, the Tahoe's tranny temp runs 25-30 degrees higher than Sierra. I think these vehicles really need 5+ gears.
My dad has a '06 Silverado and his transmission shifts silky smooth, but not slow. He drives it roundtrip from the Florida panhandle to Houston every six weeks and it has performed just fine. I think they're good transmissions, but like every other transmission it will last longer if the fluid is changed every 40-50k miles. I don't care what that manual says, 100k miles is way too long to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Here’s the bulletin sent out to dealers when they switched fluids: (I can't get off bold text!!)
GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO GM DEALERS (INCLUDING MD TRUCK)
Subject:
GMP06-220 - DEXRON VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

DESCRIPTION:
General Motors upgraded to DEXRON VI automatic transmission fluid (ATF) with the start of 2006 vehicle production. The 2006 and newer models are to be serviced only with DEXRON VI.

DEXRON VI provides extended service intervals of 100,000 miles for GM cars and light duty trucks (or 50,000 miles for severe use). For more specific improvements provided by DEXRON VI, please reference GM Service bulletin # 04-07-30-037.

The following part numbers are currently available:
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">[SIZE=2]88861003 - DEXRON VI ATF, 1 quart bottle [/SIZE]<LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">[SIZE=2]88861045 - DEXRON VI ATF, 1 gallon bottle [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=2]88861046 - DEXRON VI ATF, 55 gallon drum[/SIZE]

Bulk DEXRON VI ATF will be available in December 2006 through your local Goodwrench Oil Distributor. Part numbers will be provided in an introductory bulletin at that time.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
    • <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">DEXRON III will no longer be available from any manufacturer after December 31, 2006<LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">GM Parts is superseding current DEXRON III part numbers with the new DEXRON VI part numbers. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">2005 and prior models that currently use DEXRON III ATF may use DEXRON VI as a replacement. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo3; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Reference GM Service bulletin # 04-07-30-037 for more specific information. DEXRON VI packaged products are distributed by Kem Krest.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
On late models there is a cover on either side of the steering wheel, inside the circumference of the wheel itself.
Possibly a little off topic but that looks like some stuff that some bike seat manufacturers have been using recently...and it has been having issues with peeling as well. It's leather but it has this coating on top of it and the coating is separating and peeling off.

I guess they didn't test it for durability before they made the decision to use it.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
My Dad has an '07 Silverado,and it's a great truck. It's pretty much a no-frills truck with an appearance pacakage,but it's still a nice truck. He loves it! I've driven it a few times,and I would really like to have one also.

He's had no problems at all so far. Well,the passenger side window squeals a little when you roll it down. He'll never take it in for warranty,but I would've had it in there already.

This was his first new truck since 1980,and he's really proud of it. Something came off a truck the other day and dented the top of the cab though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive