Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,956,735 times

Advertisements

I am researching on line right now & cannot find an answer because I don't know the terminology. Hope you can help:
I'm looking for a new vehicle for my flower business. I currently have a mini-van; a Town & Country extended length w/ Stow-n-Go. It is great as far as cargo space & floor to ceiling height. Well, the height could be a few inches more, but that's getting greedy.

What I miss is having 4 wheel drive. That's all I had thru the years until the flower biz came along. Last winter was my first w/ the van. Not terrible, but definitely liked having 4WD better. Since I can't get that in a van & still have enough height, I am looking for a 4WD pickup truck where the bed has those big additions. They are bigger than a hard top thingy - I see a lot of them on the road that look like construction guys use them. Some even look like the back would open like cargo double doors - am I making any sense at all? Big enough that you could maybe almost stand up or have side entry as well as the back doors.

Are those temperature controlled? When I search the web, I see the big reefer trucks (too big) or the camper-cab things (too small). I'd like to know some terms so I can check things out on-line before I go make a fool of myself in person. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,718,750 times
Interesting questions, piperspal.

Have you considered a large SUV such as a Suburban?

Good Luck

Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,681,934 times
I think I would Google "truck bodies".....there are lots of specialty body makers that make everything under the sun, or will even customize.

Then you buy a "cab & chassis" from whatever truck maker you prefer and the body company will put 'em together for you.

Dealers that specialize in trucks might be a good place to start also...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,679,096 times
Check out this web page. Diversified Fleet Services (DFS) Truck Upfitting & Van Upfitting (http://www.diversifiedfleetservices.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-09-2008, 04:53 AM

Bummer, thanks, yeah, I did look into those, unfortunately when the seats are folded down, the height becomes the issue - a lot of my work is 4" tall or better.

car54, thanks! - I never thought of the term "truck bodies"

studedude, great! Once I go thru the link, at least I'll know what I'm talking about when I start shopping; especially if I end up buying used.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:46 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
You can get vans in 4 wheel drive. Both full sized and mini vans. I have owned both in the past, and just got rid of a mid-sized GMC that was All-wheel drive. While not true 4X4, it handled better in snow than just about anything else I have ever owned or driven.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You can get vans in 4 wheel drive. Both full sized and mini vans. I have owned both in the past, and just got rid of a mid-sized GMC that was All-wheel drive. While not true 4X4, it handled better in snow than just about anything else I have ever owned or driven.
Good to know. Do you know which vans? I do know the Toyota Sienna has all wheel drive, but you lose the stow-n-go seat option. When I priced them, even the year-old previous rentals. the cost was too much for me to justify removing the back seats completely. That's when I started thinking about options & thought a 4WD truck with quad cab for passengers (& my dogs ); & an "upfitted bed" (new term for me!) would allow me to keep just one vehicle until my business requires more.

But I do agree about the all-wheel drive. I feel safe in that also. I am a wimp - I live in the northeast & hate driving in our wintry messes. I did google truck bodies & also hit the link above. Got excellent info from both.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,900,896 times
There is a "van" in the Dodge Truck lineup called the Sprinter.
Dodge - 2008 Dodge Sprinter - Cargo Van, Chassis Cab, Passenger Van

This would be tall enough to stand up in and has rear and side door access. I don't think it comes in 4 wheel drive though. I see several around used for different businesses. One is a locksmith that I see around town.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
I think in the minivan class the Toyota is the only one out there right now with the AWD option. Dodge/Chrysler dropped that option when they went to the stow and go seating back in 2004 or 2005. The stow-N-go takes up too much room to allow the drive shaft and running gear to go out back as well. In the Full sized van that is an aftermarket option you need to speak with the dealer about. I know Ford has it and have seen some Chevy vans as well in 4X4. I had a full sized Ford E-350 conversion van that was 4X4 and it was bullet proof, as well as handled very well in snow and icy conditions.

Most of the pick-up options with an enclosed box do not have heaters in them, but you might find a dealer that will install an aftermarket aux. heater in the bed for you. I have had them before and they do a respectable job keeping the back warm.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM

momof2dfw, those sprinters are neat! I see them all over, I bet they get better mileage than what I have in mind. Unfortunately for me, I am often on a lot of old farm roads & would really benefit from a more rugged type vehicle. My Town & Country has been wonderful in terms of cargo space & ease of the stow-n-go seats - I just would feel safer with more wheel traction under me. I did see where all 2008 & newer will have ESC & a few other safety upgrades; maybe that'll help me get past the AWD/4WD issues. Still thinking a customized truck will be my best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive