Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 AM

316 posts, read 596,410 times

Advertisements

While gas prices continue to skyrocket, perhaps certain traffic rules should be altered for the benefit of the public.

Traffic lights usually a notorious trouble, and at the same time immeasurably helpful can be programmed in a beneficial way as I've personally witnessed in many countries throughout the world.

Between the hours of say, 11 o'clock or 12 o'clock at night, and perhaps five or six o'clock in the morning. Main thoroughfares can have a blinking yellow light, while a side street that runs through the main thoroughfare can have a blinking red light.

The 30 seconds to two minutes saved a couple of time while driving during these hours will certainly benefit the consumer.

Traffic is usually very light to almost nonexistent during this time, and the necessity of a two-minute red light is unfounded.

In various countries as well, the blinking red light yellow light system is in place throughout the weekend.

Perhaps somebody out there who might read this can come to implement them in various cities and states throughout our country and benefit all of us who must now pay four dollars a gallon gasoline. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,380,855 times
This has been implemented in various cities and states for many years. It hasn't been done enough IMO. Also there isn't enough mechanical eyes (or whatever) changing traffic signals. You know when you're the only one at the intersection and have to sit there while they rotate through their course.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Good idea. Flashing lights at very low traffic time. Should only require a bit of reprogramming.

I would like to have the yellow flash for 1/2 second before the green lights up. This would warn the inattentive that a green light is coming.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
Every little town I have ever lived has done this already.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,544,179 times
Some cities use traffic lights as a "calming" device; i.e. to keep vehicle speeds down. That's why, when you're on a four lane divided highway at 3 a.m. the light changes suddenly and you have to brake quickly. A trick I learned at the freeway off-ramp closest to my job: there's a spot on the pavement about a tractor-trailer length back from the end of the freeway off-ramp where the vehicle sensor is. If I slowly coast to a stop on top of it. The light will be "GREEN" by the time I'm in low gear and at the intersection.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
A lot of cities already do the blinking-yellow thing. I know Pittsburgh does. I wish Chicago would do it too. Nothing frustrates me more than sitting at an intersection at 1am waiting for the light to turn green while there isn't another car in sight.

They would also do well to make a lot of thoroughfares one-way and then time the lights -- another thing Pittsburgh does.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
While living in Mexico City, there was a one way street Xola that had traffic lights as far as your eye could see that would all change color the same time controlling the traffic movement. They also had the GREEN light flashing 3 times before changing to yellow and then RED. You would know in advance the signal would be changing. I thought that this would be a GREAT idea for the US. But no, the rocket scientists in city hall need to go back to school and do some research as to other intelligent uses of TRAFFIC SIGNALS. Steve

Old 05-22-2008, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Reducing the unecessary stop and idle would also save a suprising amount of fuel.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM

316 posts, read 596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Some cities use traffic lights as a "calming" device; i.e. to keep vehicle speeds down. That's why, when you're on a four lane divided highway at 3 a.m. the light changes suddenly and you have to brake quickly. A trick I learned at the freeway off-ramp closest to my job: there's a spot on the pavement about a tractor-trailer length back from the end of the freeway off-ramp where the vehicle sensor is. If I slowly coast to a stop on top of it. The light will be "GREEN" by the time I'm in low gear and at the intersection.
I know! However, if it is, as was well said below, a "low traffic time", why the need to brake?

From Jackson, to Cheyenne Wyoming, it is a nearly 7 hour drive. You come across only a handful of lights of RT 26/287.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
At least the last time I was there, in Marietta, Georgia, the lights on city surface streets, posted speed limit 35, were syncronized for 32 MPH. There were signs posted to that effect. And, guess what, if you had to stop, it would be only once, if you went just a little under 35 MPH indicated, the lights would turn green as you approached.

This was over 20 years ago.

Bottom line is that an "X" intersection is a crap way to connect 2 roads, either with 2 stop signs, with 4, or with a light. A traffic circle is technically much better, saves gas, fewer collisions, the collisions that occur are less severe, etc. etc. What the Brits call a "roundabout".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive