Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 30,303 times

Advertisements

over a week ago the break light and the battery light started flashing in my 2005 Nissan Altima. I took the car to a mechanic he said my alternator was bad although it had just been replaced this pass November. So fine we took that alternator off and replaced it with another one i bought at a local part store well after that the lights stopped flashing and now stays on but the car wouldn't start so it had to be jumped this time the mechanic said the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. Fine so yesterday I bought a brand new battery the car started and the darn lights are still on so i went to another mechanic and would you believe he's telling me this alternator I bought less than a week ago is no good now we're talking three alternators since November. The mechanic says he checked all the connections including the wires that run from the battery to the alternator and made sure everything was connected and tightened. I asked about a fuse or the sensor he said all the fuses are good and there is no way it could be a senor although occasionally the lights will go off but a few seconds later come back on. I refuse to believe its the alternator. Can someone please make these things go off I can't afford to keep buying parts unnecessarily or paying mechanics for nothing.

Sincerely Frustrated and Aggravated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Check your brake fluid level for the brake light.

If the fluid level is fine, there is actually a campaign ntb12-011c involving an MC fluid leak.

Read post #7

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...nel-brake.html

Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
The alternator should have a warranty if you bought new. Find your receipts.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I am going to assume that something on your vehicle is draining your battery.......this is causing your alternator to work very hard all the time, eventually frying your alternator.

If it was a dead short that was causing the drain.....it would be blowing a fuse. If it was a ground side short ( device switches on via gnd.)........something would be on all the time and you would most likely notice it. I think it is possibly a load-device (like a motor or relay) that is shorted and drains the battery when the key is switched on.

You can check for a parasitic drain (current flow out of the battery when car is shut down) by inserting a ammeter (mA scale) in between a disconnected battery cable and the
battery (+ or -) post (key off), the current should be about 40mA or less.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Buy just one alternator and return it under warranty if it fails.

Always try charging a battery before replacing it. Do you replace your cell phone battery when it is low? No you recharge it!

Search google.com for the words...

automotive testing charging system

Old 03-03-2017, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 17,658 times
im having the same problem with my 2005 nissan altima, both the brake light and the batterie light were flashing as i press the gas.. eventually it wouldnt start I took the car to the mechanic i bought it from thinking the altinator wasnt the right size for my V6 engine. He told me it was just a loose wire fixed it and gave the car back no charge..The car has been working well for a couple months and now doing the same flashing. I will have to ask him what wire this is so i can manage it. I also notice the heat doesnt work unless im pressing the gas pedal if the alternators good batterie good most like check the wire sensor wires which i new which one but look to see if any are loose or detached on the right side of the car or near the thottl body good luck

Last edited by vcharm; 03-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 15,611 times
I also have a 2005 nissan Altima with the Break And battery light on, And draining the battery. I replaced the Alternator, battery cables, new battery And a surge sensor. It have not found the problem. If there any other place That Would Help me solve this problem please help. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti