Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Man, if they could power a vehicle off natural gas, my friend would make so much money as a filling station.
It's not a problem and as I said it's very common in Australia and CNG is readily available at most large fuel stations like Caltex or BP.

Mostly you find people converting V8's to run on natural gas.

This a company that makes conversion kits in Australia:

Home - Sprint Gas Australia Pty Ltd - LPG Gas Conversion - Fuel Systems Automotve LPG Gas Equipment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Apparently that joke was either really bad or really good.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Nissan expects their electric car to sell for around $15k.

Nissan rolls out electric car at new headquarters - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090802/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_nissan - broken link)

Well, looks like that is the anticipated cost without the battery. All of the various articles seem to not state it the same.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Without the battery? That's like releasing the price of a conventional car, "engine not included."

Old 08-03-2009, 04:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Burdell got it right. The lead acid battery is just too heavy for the energy stored. I have heard that some of the new hybrids are using Lithium-ion batteries with a plug-into-the wall socket to allow overnight recharge. This technology allows the best of both types of energy storage. Batteries recharged by the grid for local trips and petroleum fuel for longer distance. The ideal engine would be a turbocharged diesel properly loaded by either the energy requirements of the car and/or the battery. It could also be rigged to provide emergency power for your house if the power failed.

I agree with GregW about the electric car: battery technology just not quite there yet. I also agree that the best hybrid at this time would be a diesel hybrid (not the current crop of gas hybrids). Why isn't anyone making one?

Bud

Old 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I agree with GregW about the electric car: battery technology just not quite there yet. I also agree that the best hybrid at this time would be a diesel hybrid (not the current crop of gas hybrids). Why isn't anyone making one?

Bud
The really high compression ratios in diesels makes them a lot more difficult to start than a petrol engine. It requires a lot more energy and it makes them not well-suited to the constant stop/start cycles currently used in hybrid cars. Not to mention diesel powerplants cost a lot of money and hybrids are already a tough sell to most outside of the early-adapter demographic.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fW4xYBXdGo

Working link to WKBS NPR interview with the director of "Who Killed the Electric Car".

Old 10-08-2021, 07:53 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,525,381 times
video killed the radio star....so .... follow the money...

Old 10-08-2021, 08:34 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
video killed the radio star....so .... follow the money...
My wife and I were just joking the other day that streaming killed the video star. Music videos were such a production and now things like Youtube, TikTok, and IG have taking the spotlight with $40 4K cameras. I remember when GNR's November Rain was the most expensive video shoot in history.

As for the original post, I saw the film about a decade ago and nearly cried. The greed and lies of Big Oil was so frustrating and I felt so powerless. They get huge tax-breaks, paramilitary security forces, and made huge profits for far too long. Now most of them are green-washing and trying to change their public perception, and in many cases is just a smoke and mirrors show.

Even though I see Big Oil as a bad actor, I still have at least 5% of my investment portfolio in COP, PSX, & LNG. The reality is that we might not demand as much gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, but we'll still need oil for rubber, plastics, and emergency use generators...at least for the next 20 years.

On a lighter note, I bought two used BEVs over the last 6 years and have reduced our gasoline and diesel fuel demand by 1,000 and 200 gallons a year respectively. We now have a short-range Fiat 500e, Tesla Model S 85, VW Golf TDI, and old Duramax. With the final production of the NiMH GM EV1, it seemed they were about 8 years ahead of any competition (Nissan and Honda were the only other EV makers in the early 2000s that I could think of). It really makes you wonder how much further along they would be had they not snuff the product.

Now the age of the electric motor and Li-poly/solid-state batteries is taking off. More contractors are ditching their corded tools, auto mechanics are converting from air tools, and aviation/nautical industries are beginning their conversion. We've come a long way from lead-acid in the last 20 years.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:30 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
We've come a long way from lead-acid in the last 20 years.
Chinese lead acid battery cheap vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
With the final production of the NiMH GM EV1, it seemed they were about 8 years ahead of any competition (Nissan and Honda were the only other EV makers in the early 2000s that I could think of).
All of these companies (big 3 domestic, and big 3 Japan, + Mazda) were trying to comply with California's Zero Emission Vehicle program which actually began in 1990.
  1. GM EV1 was the first battery electric vehicle (BEV) offered to the public
  2. Honda (EV Plus, May 1997),
  3. Toyota (RAV4 EV, October 1997),
  4. Chrysler (EPIC, 1997)
  5. Ford (Ranger EV,1998)
  6. Nissan stated they planned to offer the Altra in the 1998 model year as well to fulfill the MOA.
  7. As an acceptable alternative, Mazda stated they would purchase ZEV credits from Ford.

CARB threatened to prohibit the top 7 companies from selling in California unless they complied and built an EV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive