Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid !!

6000 individual cells joined together to power a practical? over the road ,all weather vehicle??.. Lets see ..that's at a minimum 12,000 electric connections just for the power pack...How'd you like to find the 4 or 5 cells that aren't performing up to stuff huh ??

No thanks

I'm absolutely a believer in KISS engineering but.................

As much as I agree with your comment about 12,000 connections I applaud the Tesla's makers for the performance and interest level they're generating.

Surely complicated, $90K+ cars aren't for everyone but if they can get a few out there that perform well they may just interest some investors in backing more research into better battery technology, manufacturing.

I wonder where we'd be had we put as much time/effort/$$$ into eliminating our thirst for oil since the '70s as we've put into fighting for oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Agreed....as a technology demonstration it appears to be an interesting piece...as a practical vehicle...not so much..

OK...now time to fess up...here's a short list of some of the "very practical" vehicles I own or have owned at one time...

Austin Healey
MG-TD
TVR
Lotus Europa Twin Cam
Jag XK E type
Corvette(s)

Yup...not an impractical car on that list huh

In most respects my 1929 Model A is a much more "practical" vehicle than that list

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Agreed....as a technology demonstration it appears to be an interesting piece...as a practical vehicle...not so much..

OK...now time to fess up...here's a short list of some of the "very practical" vehicles I own or have owned at one time...

Austin Healey
MG-TD
TVR
Lotus Europa Twin Cam
Jag XK E type
Corvette(s)

Yup...not an impractical car on that list huh

In most respects my 1929 Model A is a much more "practical" vehicle than that list

The first 5 might explain an aversion to 'automotive' and 'electric' being used in the same sentence

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
A movie that came out 2 yrs ago I never saw it but would like to.
Who Killed the Electric Car?
Great question, Nitokenshi, plus very interesting website.

Considering my driving habits, I know an Electric Vehicle with a range of at least 100 miles would fit my needs 99 times out of a 100, possibly more.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The first 5 might explain an aversion to 'automotive' and 'electric' being used in the same sentence
Lucas...Prince of Darkness

Headlight Control on a British car ==> Off , Dim , Flicker

Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't think the question is the longevity or the efficiency of the EVs' batteries.

The glaring questions, to me anyway, are: Why did GM go to such great lengths to destroy nearly every EV1? Why did Toyota and Ford collect their electric cars at nearly the same time? And why did GM take back the EV1 only after California eased up on its mandate to reduce emissions? Why did California ease up on its mandate?

There are just too many coincidences to believe that the demise of the EVs was based on consumer rejection and not a calculated move by the auto companies in question.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Anyone know if there's some technical reason(s) this type of battery cannot be made in larger units suitable for transportation use?
I'm not an expert on batteries, etc., but recently read that the ore for the materials in those batteries must be mined in the Canadian frozen north, trucked over ice roads down to "civilization", shipped to Europe for processing into the finished raw material, shipped to the orient for manufacture of the battery itself, then shipped back to the US for installation in the retail end-using product. Ironically, the carbon cost of all that shipment apparently exceeds by several factors whatever energy savings might be realized by the product's end use during it's expected lifetime. So if that's the reason I can understand why larger versions aren't commercially available.

btw, recently saw two Teslas running the Tour at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. They looked slick and well-worth the cost. Hope they make it.

As for JBrown's car list, can one really ever brag about any make that uses a Lucas electrical system? I sure couldn't. Total garbage, in my view.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why did California ease up on its mandate?
Anyone expecting sensible legislation out of the ***** [not a bad word, just didn't want to insult imbeciles] in Sacramento either doesn't live in the golden state, or hasn't been following it's political news for the past decade. Nothing they do there surprises me anymore.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Li-lon batteries just like others have a certain number of charges they are good for . They also can be a fire hazard if not treated right. The disposal of batteries has become a problem in this country just because of the laptop. If you have ever had anyhting that you constantly uses batteries you know that the can be a problem.Li-lon batteries are very much more subject to fires and explosion than say even nickel metal hydride batteries.that is why packs of them have a builtin limter in the pack that helps keep prevent problems but like all things battery things happen but just more disasterly with Li-lon.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

As for JBrown's car list, can one really ever brag about any make that uses a Lucas electrical system? I sure couldn't. Total garbage, in my view.
I really hesitate to reply to this but....

You clearly didn't follow the exchange between Burdell and myself. Let me give you a clue since you don't seem to have one. I was clearly poking fun at myself for some very poor "practical" vehicle choices made in the past!
(albeit some fun rides)
I'm sorry if you havn't been able to afford toys like this but I was not bragging. I was in fact offering up some fun at my own expense. Go back and try to actually understand the light hearted exchange without the envious chip on your shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive