Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 03:24 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,338,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
As EVs are coming, many companies will want to be in on the act putting the chargers in before EVs roll in, in numbers.
Nobody is denying that EV's are coming, but it does not mean that the ICE and fuels are going to disappear anytime soon. Now, this video points at the realities of charging EV's. I would recommend watching this video to anybody who does not know what and how different EV chargers work and cost. It is not an anti-EV video, just one to inform the EV consumer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqJ2DclEg

Old 03-02-2021, 03:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,807 posts, read 81,772,341 times
Quote:
As EVs are coming, many companies will want to be in on the act putting the chargers in before EVs roll in, in numbers.
Shopping centers can justify the expense by attracting the shoppers that drive EVs, but for large office/industrial facilities it requires that they get sufficient users paying for their charging to cover the expense, unless it's done as an employee benefit due to demand. That just isn't happening yet in most places. Big cities are where the EV is most useful, not only in reducing air pollution, but because they can go all over the city without having to charge as often as people in suburbs. In October, 2020 Seattle was the city with the 2nd highest percentage of EVs - 0.9%. San Francisco was #1, but still only at 1.4%.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,091,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's interesting, thanks for sharing. Here in the US, to my knowledge no city has embraced EVs, and so charging is currently quite difficult for many urban residents, creating a barrier to EV purchase. The NY Times recently wrote an article about this issue.

"The real deal-killer, especially for city and apartment dwellers, is a dearth of chargers where they park their cars... Call it the Great Disconnect. In townhomes, apartments and condos, in dense cities and still-snug suburbs, plenty of people, worried about climate change, would make for a potentially receptive audience for E.V.s. But without a garage, they often feel locked out of the game."

"‘Charger Desert’ in Big Cities Keeps Electric Cars From Mainstream"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/b...-chargers.html
Where I am, we can request a charger on the kerb, like having a gasoline pump outside your house. If there are enough EVs in the road then they will put a pair in - always two. These are not the rapid chargers, but more like 6-8 hours. Smart phone apps give the rapid charger locations. I have two chargers outside my place, with a number within a few minutes walk. Plug in, then go home to bed.

Supermarkets are installing them, with all bays to have chargers when the EV numbers rise. There will be so many chargers people will drip charge cars like we do with smart phones.

There is no need not to have a comprehensive charger network in cities.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
For some people electric cars are a religion and petroleum-powered cards are the devil.
If wanting clean air and cheap motoring then I am in the EV religion. I have noticed that those against tend to be rural dwellers. They will to fall in line kicking and screaming.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I was wondering about the mining taking place in AU: do the miners use only EV's to mine the products using EV heavy equipment, transport the products using big EV rigs , and then built the batteries using "greenly generated" electricity?
The largest truck in the world are electrically driven, as are the fastest trains. The fastest diesel train is the British HS125 which is driven by electric motors with a diesel generator. As solid state batteries come on line there are plans to install them in trains and trucks.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Agree, although after watching the video I realized that it is just an environmental anti-oil extraction video that points at the negatives of oil production and use, versus EV battery production and use.
It is not anti anything, it is quite objective dispelling the Luddite myths.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The largest truck in the world are electrically driven, as are the fastest trains. The fastest diesel train is the British HS125 which is driven by electric motors with a diesel generator. As solid state batteries come on line there are plans to install them in trains and trucks.
If you read what I wrote above, I was referring to the heavy equipment used in the production of EV batteries in Australia.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:40 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:
Agree, although after watching the video I realized that it is just an environmental anti-oil extraction video that points at the negatives of oil production and use, versus EV battery production and use.

I was wondering about the mining taking place in AU: do the miners use only EV's to mine the products using EV heavy equipment, transport the products using big EV rigs , and then built the batteries using "greenly generated" electricity?

Now, for those who have an interest on being "green" all the way and drive an EV, this points at the realities involved. By the way, unlike the video posted above, this one is down to earth, and does not slam anybody. It just points at the truth about solar energy and the EV he drives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKjjwWBWW0
Yeah it seems like so many people who talk about electric vehicles don't really talk about electric vehicles the only the reason they do is because it's probably one of the most functional alternatives to petroleum. Back in about 2003 hydrogen power was all the rage. And it was only because people were thinking it was an alternative to petroleum then they realized one of the major sources of hydrogen would have been natural gas.

It's perfectly fine for people not to want to give any money to petroleum. People make whatever choices they want. But the crusade is something I'm not on board with.

The mining is one thing I don't think it's the major thing the part I would be more concerned about is the e-waste. One of the virtues of electric cars a genuine virtue is they don't have the whole lot of complexity. Very few parts in there for very few things that can go wrong. So the concept of old cars that are no longer drivable going to a junkyard is a thing of the past because they're just simply isn't demand for used parts. Now some of it can be recycled some of it's pretty valuable. But then there's the refuse. Sure people will get into wrecks with electric vehicles, and they will need replacement parts if the vehicle is salvageable. But I'm not sure that'll be enough to sustain a salvage yard. If you ask me the greenest vehicle you can buy is a used one. Nobody had to produce anything and already exists and it doesn't go to a dump nor does it need to be recycled which has an environmental impact in and of itself.

I appreciate the video you posted I really like the fact that the guy is committed to a green lifestyle he is not a naysayer he's a believer. He's not promising the world he's being realistic and even though I'm not much into the green thing it doesn't sound that bad.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If you read what I wrote above, I was referring to the heavy equipment used in the production of EV batteries in Australia. The OP's video is nothing but pro EV, pointing at how much a polluter oil production is versus EV. It does not point at the environmental impact EV production does. See...most of the pawer generated to engage in EV production is not from green energies. The carbon footprint to produce an EV is quite similar to the carbon footprint of an ICE automobile. Yes, a battery does not pollute the air, but there is a lot of pollution taking place during the production of a battery.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-02-2021 at 03:55 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
You have to make some not want them anymore. Being as insufferable and arrogant as you possibly can probably encourages them not to go with an electric vehicle because they themselves don't want to become inseparable in arrogant.
The carrot is better than the stick. Ten years ago, I spoke to London cab drivers. Not one was in favour of EVs. They did not like change, as better the devil they know. Now, none will go back after having an EV, well they can't, they have to buy an EV or hybrid cab. I was talking to a cabbie who had a hybrid. He lives on the outers of London with his own drive and charger. He would start the day on a full charge, then at the end, 50% of the time, he would go on the engine as he was going home. Now he charges the cab on a taxi rapid charger as he is having lunch - they have their own diners. The engine has not cut in for around a year.

These EV cars are really great and superior. Drive one. They do speak for themselves.

There is nothing worse than an arrogant Luddite with attitude.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-02-2021 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.