Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 02:23 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,338,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
They are arbitrary deadlines that will be updated to reflect reality as the roll out begins and more real world data is collected. The pace and the totality of any changeover will be a largely organic thing, and will encounter more resistance the more there is a push to implement artificial deadlines that do not reflect people's own experiences. Ironically it could be that the more you try to force it, the longer it will take. If you really want to see the changeover happen quickly then offer these vehicles as a better alternative, and back the promises up with reality instead of mandates. If EVs turn out as great as people hope they will there will be no need to try to ban the competition.
That makes a lot os sense

Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,091,408 times
The mayor of London. London has nine million people. There are well over 300 rapid chargers in the city charging in just over 20 minutes. There are approx 3,000 charging points.

Interesting. The day before, the mayor was insulated by Trump. TfL is Transport for London. Many cities are following the lead. The Low Emission Exclusion zone is brilliant. During the day there are few cars about - it is amazing. There is less noise as well. The air is far cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMDsUlpeSM

Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
They are arbitrary deadlines that will be updated to reflect reality as the roll out begins
The deadlines set by the manufactures are more fixed for obvious reasons. They cannot start production lines of ICE vehicles within weeks.

It is not matter of banning the competiton, it is a matter of getting clean air.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
It will take over 100 years or more before cargo and commercial aircraft can switch from existing fuels to electric.
They are working on electric hybrid planes right now. Some have a turbo jet with a generator attached with other engines being electric motors. They are eyeing the solid state batteries with great interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXj15C3-YD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Qcfii4pc8

Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,807 posts, read 81,756,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The mayor of London. London has nine million people. There are well over 300 rapid chargers in the city charging in just over 20 minutes. There are approx 3,000 charging points.

Interesting. The day before, the mayor was insulated by Trump. TfL is Transport for London. Many cities are following the lead. The Low Emission Exclusion zone is brilliant. During the day there are few cars about - it is amazing. There is less noise as well. The air is far cleaner.

Here in our city of 65,000, however, there are exactly public 4 chargers, at the Safeway strip mall. We do have a fair number of Teslas but they mostly charge at home or on the fast chargers at Home Depot in the next city. I'm in commercial/Industrial real estate in Seattle and we just put the first couple of chargers in at one of our larger properties. Our parking garage near the office is open to the public (pay stations) and still has none, because no one has asked for them. The demand has to be there before chargers will be installed, so there will have to be a period of adjustment when there are more EVs than chargers available for commuters.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM

12,672 posts, read 9,844,551 times
Quote:

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. Here in the US, to my knowledge no city has embraced EVs, and so charging is currently quite difficult for many urban residents, creating a barrier to EV purchase. The NY Times recently wrote an article about this issue.

"The real deal-killer, especially for city and apartment dwellers, is a dearth of chargers where they park their cars... Call it the Great Disconnect. In townhomes, apartments and condos, in dense cities and still-snug suburbs, plenty of people, worried about climate change, would make for a potentially receptive audience for E.V.s. But without a garage, they often feel locked out of the game."

"‘Charger Desert’ in Big Cities Keeps Electric Cars From Mainstream"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/b...-chargers.html

Old 03-02-2021, 03:03 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Because we are the beginning of the ICE to EV new car transition that will take place over the next decade.

Lots of fighting and resistance right now, but the old dogs will be put to pasture soon enough.
I don't think that's it. Personally with regard to whether or not electric vehicles grow in popularity I don't care. I don't foresee myself having one anytime soon.

But I think they're cool I think it's great that people are making them people are buying them I get typecast as someone fighting against it.

It's not because I am fighting against it because I'm a heretic. Appreciating them and not committing is unacceptable. I've run into this with an occasional vegan, certain religious people, and various other groups built around an ideology.

For some people electric cars are a religion and petroleum-powered cards are the devil. This isn't extremely common but I've certainly encountered it here in this forum.

This kind of dichotomy isn't created by someone who believes that this is the future. for instance I know petrochemical is not going anywhere anytime soon. I don't advocate for it, I'll try and tell people that they are wrong if they think otherwise because I already know better.

This is more along the lines of someone trying to convince themselves that they are correct.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:04 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,338,266 times
Quote:
This is rapidly becoming the EV debate forum. Perhaps this topic should get its own sub forum.
Agree, although after watching the video I realized that it is just an environmental anti-oil extraction video that points at the negatives of oil production and use, versus EV battery production and use.

I was wondering about the mining taking place in AU: do the miners use only EV's to mine the products using EV heavy equipment, transport the products using big EV rigs , and then built the batteries using "greenly generated" electricity?

Now, for those who have an interest on being "green" all the way and drive an EV, this points at the realities involved. By the way, unlike the video posted above, this one is down to earth, and does not slam anybody. It just points at the truth about solar energy and the EV he drives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKjjwWBWW0

Old 03-02-2021, 03:07 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,252,967 times
Quote:
Or buried inside their V8 pickups.
You have to make some not want them anymore. Being as insufferable and arrogant as you possibly can probably encourages them not to go with an electric vehicle because they themselves don't want to become inseparable in arrogant.

If these cars are really great and Superior they will speak for themselves and you belittling people who don't agree with you will do nothing. I'm pretty sure you already know that. People don't act that way to convince others they do it to show how Superior and more sophisticated they are.

People have learned not to trust folks that do that, the story The emperor's New clothes exists because of this.

So nobody is doing more damage to electric vehicles than insufferable arrogant people that pretend like they're a panacea.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our parking garage near the office is open to the public (pay stations) and still has none, because no one has asked for them.
As EVs are coming, many companies will want to be in on the act putting the chargers in before EVs roll in, in numbers.

As the mayor of London said, he is bringing together the public and private sectors to implement the roll out.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-02-2021 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.