Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 07:01 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, NASCAR is not what it was, the cars are all more or less alike, no Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar action. Formula 1 tends to be a high-speed parade with little passing, but if it's on, I might watch it.
I used to watch SCCA racing they had three classes running at the same time GTU “ under three liters” GTO “over three liters and GTP Grand touring prototype. Never really liked NASCAR myself. I agree with you about Formula one it’s not what it used to be. I used to watch Indy cars too it seem less impressive these days.
German touring cars are fun to watch if you can catch them on. I don’t do cable so not sure if they still run them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 12:00 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nascar#slide20

I predicted to a buddy that his driving style was going to get him killed years before it happened.

Well, you called it, man. I know when some moron is tailgating me all I want is them to go around me or run off in to the trees. I'm not kidding.

Dale Earnhardt died doing what he loved ta do. Now his son is carrying the baton, though I think Junior made his millions and retired from NASCAR. I sure hope so - they're both obnoxious.

Having said that:

RIP Dale Earnhardt, Sr.

I respect his driving ability and his desire. I just hate the wonton disregard for others that he showed. And that's NASCAR at it's best. Baa-bye NASCAR. See ya wouldn't wanna be ya.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
The only interest I have is driving (not racing) my sport sedans at the race track every once in a while, definitely not watching.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I find most Americans watch sports that are not technically complicated. Even athletic sports that are complicated most audience don't really know or understand the technicalities but just watch for the action.
That's why motorsports is very difficult for American audience. NASCAR is easy to understand and the racing challenge isn't as complicated as the Le Mans or Indy. Most Americans could never watch a very technical race because you need like a college degree to know a thing or two what the speakers are talking about.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The majority of people are like me ..... To us, auto racing is about as boring, as watching a pot of water boil.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Now his son is carrying the baton, though I think Junior made his millions and retired from NASCAR.
Little E retired due to too many concussions. Says he had at least 20.
He's donating his brain for CTE research after his death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I find most Americans watch sports that are not technically complicated. Even athletic sports that are complicated most audience don't really know or understand the technicalities but just watch for the action.
Well, I guess that's why curling isn't a big sport then.
I try to predict the strategy and I'm usually wrong.

Physicists can't even figure it out.
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annal...url-in-curling

Old 12-30-2019, 02:06 PM

The majority of people feel that auto racing is low class, and beneath them. They feel it is boring, and don't want to waste their time following it.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The majority of people feel that auto racing is low class, and beneath them. They feel it is boring, and don't want to waste their time following it.
I would not categorize Formula One and Le Mans as low-class.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I would not categorize Formula One and Le Mans as low-class.
Problem with all auto racing and American public, is movies and T.V. shows involving auto racing are nearly all comedy category, based in the south, and very red neck in style, not average southerners. It makes them feel auto racing is beneath them.

And as I said before, watching auto racing to most people, is as boring as watching water boil.

The percentage of people that get into auto racing is very small, and the rest could care less, about who is winning auto racing, what car they are driving, etc.

Another sport, that has limited following is rodeo. A rural country sport, but not one city people which are the vast majority of Americans really get into. It is still more popular than auto racing, because it is faster paced due to variety of action, so is more popular than auto racing.

When I was small, during the depression of the 30s, we lived on a ranch. My father would go to Nevada, buy a truckload of wild horses, bring them back to California, break them and sell them off to support us very well. One trip he got to Nevada on Saturday. There was a big rodeo that weekend. As a draw there was a big horse no one had been able to stay on. If you could ride him the full 8 seconds, you got $500 and won the horse. Some of the ranchers bet my father $100 to try riding him. He was first man to do it, and he got the money, loaded the horse in his truck, and went home. Two later the ones that had owned the horse showed up as he was sure they would.

He sold them back the horse for more money than he would have made on a load of horses, and never went to another rodeo. Now they promoted the horse as having been ridden once, are you man enough to ride him, and no one ever did. My father said it was pure luck he was not bucked off.

Sports in general, are declining, from Auto racing to bull fighting to auto racing. Ball games Are seeing big drop in people attending.

Due to animal rights people getting laws passed, the Circus is now a thing of the past.

Times are changing, and things like auto racing, are going down, down, and down, and few will miss it.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:31 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Unless it has a ball of some sorts, it's not a sport.

Like baseball, the only "sport" where, other than walking onto the field, you could theoretically not move a muscle for the entire game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive