Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Well to be honest I do question myself if my interest would have also gone a different direction (pun not intended) let's say if I didn't have to battle with the lack of accessibility for motorsport here in the United States

I been only digging plenty of more serious motorsport content very recently. I am still way too new to get bored of racing, even a boring race at best at least still feels relaxing

Here's a video I just watched recently(Just rewatched fully again right now) of a lead battle in the GT2 class between Corvette and Porsche

I mean how could you not appreciate such dynamic action right there?
The majority of Americans would say, watching this is about as boring as watching paint dry!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 03:29 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The majority of Americans would say, watching this is about as boring as watching paint dry!!!!

You got me there, I legit thought that was a link for a second

Old 04-12-2020, 11:50 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
It seems to be the opposite for many racing drivers. They love racing but have no interest in road cars.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It seems to be the opposite for many racing drivers. They love racing but have no interest in road cars.
Doesn't that depend on the league

Rallying, sports cars, touring cars and NASCAR are definitely very sports-oriented, which is why they don't overly focus on engineering expertise

F1, IndyCar and prototypes are more science-oriented for sure.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM

So auto racing is back, and wanted to ask any current fans if Covid 19 is reflecting a bit of a crisis onto the sport

It is very interesting that even motorsports are joining the political corporate causes of American social issues.

Also a question for former racing enthusiasts, does the engineering in racing nowadays focus too much on meta analytics? Why or why not?

Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So auto racing is back, and wanted to ask any current fans if Covid 19 is reflecting a bit of a crisis onto the sport

It is very interesting that even motorsports are joining the political corporate causes of American social issues.

Also a question for former racing enthusiasts, does the engineering in racing nowadays focus too much on meta analytics? Why or why not?
I think there's a HUGE crisis on the horizon, for automobile racing in general. YES, on one hand, it's back. However, only the NASCAR Cup series, due to currently lucrative TV contracts, can go on broadcasting races with nobody in the stands....at least for a while. But the "grassroots" of racing, the local "short tracks", in many states, are still unable to open.

In New York, "Commandant Cuomo" (the Governor) is still forbidding any auto racing, with spectators in the stands. Other that a few dirt tracks that banded together, and managed to find themselves a "pay per view" deal, for several races, there's NO auto racing going on in NY, and technically, our racing season should be nearing it's half way point.

Think about the long-term implications over that......MANY tracks in NY barely survive, as their facilities are operated on basically a once-a-week, 4 month a year schedule, due to this area's weather. Yet their taxes and associated expenses can be in place all year long. Many are also in a sticky situation with their neighbors trying to shut them down as a "noise nuisance", even though the track was there for 20-30 years before the people moved out near it, due to the expansion of the population.

Consider the plight of the racers themselves....This "Kung-flu" deal didn't really hit until the early spring. Most "short track" teams, in anticipation of the upcoming racing season, spent $$$$ freshening up the cars, as well as their tow rigs, over the winter. Those ready-to-go race cars are now sitting, idle. What will the racers do, if this extended shut down causes their local tracks to declare BK, and close up for good, and they have nowhere to race? Not every racer has the necessary funds, of available time, to travel 4-6 hours each way, if that becomes the closest track to them. Who is going to buy their cars and parts, that are no longer usable to them?

The long term implication of this crisis has the potential to DEEPLY change our country, and NOT for the better.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:43 AM

So I think this thread is even now more relevant than ever in 2024

And what got me thinking is, I used to be so yapsy about "racing" being a marginalized pasttime

But then I realized something

I think right now in the US at least sports culture is going thru a milking cycle

Let's take skateboarding for instance

Skateboarding's boom of the 90s and 200s did not a great favor of holding up the commercialization of the sport

Why? Because skateboarding got milked hard by merch appealers and non-skateboarding sponsorships to the point where many counterculture types saw their passttime being used for corporate interests and it kinda dried the "appeal" of the sport

There's probably then a similar situation with racing and motorsport, in regards to probably the last 22 years, in that over the last 2 decades racing has been used as a dancing playground for high end manufacturers such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin and BMW so that said manufacturers can only use the winnings of racing as a means to only give more public profile to upcoming vehicles of said manufacturers

After all, the "sport" aspect of professional auto racing is really just not there, I totally get it

However there is no denying though marketability for auto racing and motorsport in general is increasing, but with that marketability comes in a claw in the machine for corporate firms that be to only use racing as a once again, a hippie parade of advertisement and publicity, rather than raw competition

Old 12-22-2023, 02:44 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
Wut?

Old 12-22-2023, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Wut?
I assume this in regards to my comment

Alrighty then I will baby-step it as much as I can

You know that statement that racing today is about money and not about the cars or the racing action?

Yeah that

The comparison to skateboarding is that the grassroots feel is dead and skateboarding, just like auto racing, got milked hard by clothing brands and other non skateboarding miscellaneous brands

Similarly in most mainstream motor sport automakers are now less significant and important sponsors than say a decade or 2 ago

But at the same time many are using racing as an advertising playground because it can make the car seem more "sellable" or just "marketable"

Remmeber that a lot of performance cars draw design cues those based of iconic race cars

Old 12-22-2023, 04:38 AM

2,035 posts, read 988,010 times
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive