Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 459 times

Advertisements

Yes allot of people don't realize that, and I use to think the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea7 View Post
Every time I go Jiffy Lube or Quick Lube I often get asked if I want to get an engine flush. I never have, but what do you think of this? Is it worth the money or is it a scam to get ignorant car people like me to spend more?
Never take your vehicle to jiffy lube in the first place they are a butcher shop for vehicles, they hire teenagers for min wage and don’t know what they are doing it’s li taking your vehicle to Walmart and letting them work on your vehicle. Go to a reputable garage or the dealer.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,020,654 times
I did an engine flush about 30 years ago. Never again.

The car proceeded to burn a lot more oil after the flush.

Leave well enough alone.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:10 PM

3,519 posts, read 777,435 times
replying to a 10 year old thread .. time to flush it as well ..

Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Engine flush has nothing to do with the oil...it your cooling system!! Yes you should, I do mine every fall then put fresh antifreeze in!!
Actually they have a chemical to do engine flushes. And my take on that...
The old school way was to throw a quart of trans fluid in the oil and let it idle for 10 minutes drain and fill with new oil. They have a motor flush which is basically the same thing.
As long as you change your oil I wouldn’t waste the money on anything like that. You’re better off stepping up to a synthetic oil

Old 08-02-2018, 12:38 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,777,083 times
Whether you're talking about a coolant flush or a crankcase flush... either way this is a relic of a bygone era. Totally unnecessary in any modern vehicle and far more likely to cause problems than prevent them.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's run with the wild assumption that Jiffylube could even flush an engine or cooling system in a correct and non-destructive manner. If the engine or cooling system is sludged to the point where a flush would accomplish *anything* of value, then the vehicle already has problems WAY beyond the scope of what jiffylube could possibly repair.

Any why would anyone who wants reliable transportation take their vehicle to juffylube or the like in the first place??

This thread is a full decade of failure.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,967,790 times
Unless you're just into screwing up your engine, NEVER put a flush in the oil, EVER. These flushes work by stripping lubrication- that's how they work. Might as well run the engine with no oil or like one moron that I'm aware of. He had a relatively new Ram hemi and decided it needed a flush. He got advice from the internet and followed their instructions to the letter. He destroyed his engine. The flush......he used a small bottle of Dawn and 4 quarts of water. While you might laugh, there's not a lot of difference between the Dawn and bottles of flush. Both strip lubrication. If you think the engine needs a cleaning out, synthetic oil won't do it. Back when you could buy a GP IV based oil, it had more solvency than a conventional oil. But there aren't anymore GP IV oils unless you want to get into boutique oils that cost 12-15 bucks a qt. You can get a great cleaning using any HDEO motor oil. An HDEO would be like Rotella, Delo, or DelVac. You would want to use a 10w-30 or the 15w-40 and skip the other viscosities like a 5w-40. Primarily though, no engine really needs a flush. If the engine has been neglected, use a quality oil like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, and change every 3000 miles for the next 3 changes. It will slowly clean the internals and you won't have chunks floating around in the engine doing damage like a flush would do. And NEVER put the likes of Seafoam in the oil. It's 15% IPA. IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol. Alcohol will damage and destroy seals and do it in a hurry. Yet another snake oil additive that needs to go away.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Unless you're just into screwing up your engine, NEVER put a flush in the oil, EVER. These flushes work by stripping lubrication- that's how they work. Might as well run the engine with no oil or like one moron that I'm aware of. He had a relatively new Ram hemi and decided it needed a flush. He got advice from the internet and followed their instructions to the letter. He destroyed his engine. The flush......he used a small bottle of Dawn and 4 quarts of water. While you might laugh, there's not a lot of difference between the Dawn and bottles of flush. Both strip lubrication. If you think the engine needs a cleaning out, synthetic oil won't do it. Back when you could buy a GP IV based oil, it had more solvency than a conventional oil. But there aren't anymore GP IV oils unless you want to get into boutique oils that cost 12-15 bucks a qt. You can get a great cleaning using any HDEO motor oil. An HDEO would be like Rotella, Delo, or DelVac. You would want to use a 10w-30 or the 15w-40 and skip the other viscosities like a 5w-40. Primarily though, no engine really needs a flush. If the engine has been neglected, use a quality oil like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, and change every 3000 miles for the next 3 changes. It will slowly clean the internals and you won't have chunks floating around in the engine doing damage like a flush would do. And NEVER put the likes of Seafoam in the oil. It's 15% IPA. IPA stands for IsoPropyl Alcohol. Alcohol will damage and destroy seals and do it in a hurry. Yet another snake oil additive that needs to go away.
Just want to clarify I did not mean to sound like I said to use synthetic oil to flush. I meant to switch to synthetic as the cost difference between regular oil and flush agent would equal the cost of synthetic oil.
And synthetic oil is really not that expensive considering the longer change intervals.
I have never used any additives to any of my engine fluids. Be it coolant, oil or any other. And I refuse to let any quick change joint touch my vehicle.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times
I have an old, creaky engine with about 240K miles on it. The first time I flushed it, oh my, the
tar-black gunk that came out of the engine was pretty crazy. After the flush, oil-change and adding 1 quart of Duralube, it runs quieter and cooler.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,350,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Engine flush has nothing to do with the oil...it your cooling system!! Yes you should, I do mine every fall then put fresh antifreeze in!!
I know this is an old post, but I hope nobody took the advice of this poster.

Most modern cars need the coolant system flushed every 100,000 miles per manufacturer specs. Changing it every year is just flushing $100s of dollars down the toilet each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive