Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,693 times

Advertisements

is it really needed ,oil flush that is , if i,m keeping the car clean inside and out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM

773 posts, read 2,635,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzinger View Post
Try this instead: put a quart of tranny fluid in your motor and run it for about a week. It really works well.
Dexron, ATF+, or does it matter?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,296,211 times
There is reason of any sort to justify destroying the life of an engine with engine flush thru the oil system. The damage it does to bearings, it really should be illegal to screw people like that.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,955,578 times
Engine flush treatment for me decades ago was to substitute 1 qt of auto tranny fluid for a qt of oil when doing a change. This kept the hydraulic lifters clean and loosened up any potential sludge in the crankcase...then again I always changed oil and filter every 1000 miles. Overkill yes...but I never had any engine problems during the time period of owning the car. Cheapest expense on any car is the regular tuneups and OIL changes.

This all came from a mechanic dad who was wise and experienced from the old school.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,644,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Engine flush has nothing to do with the oil...it your cooling system!! Yes you should, I do mine every fall then put fresh antifreeze in!!
Your mechanic or dealership must love you for flushing your cooling system every year. "Absolutely" not needed!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,644,947 times
Bought a new Mercury a few years back and got "free lifetime oil changes". Now I've been doing all my own work on my cars for over 40 years but figured "hey, that's one less car I have to crawl under to do an oil change" so I would bring it to the dealer for the freebie. After 2 years he started with the "YOU NEED AN ENGINE FLUSH" routine. The first couple of times I declined. When he asked me during a subsequent visit, I asked him to show me on the Mercury service chart where Mercury recommends an engine flush. I said if Mercury recommends it, I'll get it done (I already knew it was not on the service chart). His reply was along the lines of "well they don't put it on the service chart but they know that it should be done" My reply was if I got my oil changed according the manufacturers service schedule, and the dealer was using "RECOMMENDED" oil and filters. I should never have a sludge problem. Hw had no answer for me and I went ahead and called him a thief and never stepped foot in the dealership again.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

208 posts, read 331,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You do not mix regular engine oil and Synthetic oil together. It is like mixing water and oil together. Had a customer loan his car to a friend. Nice friend was told at a gas station that the engine was a qt low. Nice friend said, "put a qt in for me". Customer ended up needing a rebuilt motor. Stefhen
Have been doing it for years as a tech without any problems!
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...entionals.aspx
If you want to clean sludge out, just switch to a full synthetic!
A motor "flush" is a halfassed last resort effort for a used car lot.lol

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,296,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I'd add checking for the proper API service rating to your statement too. Such as "SM", "SL" or "SJ" for gasoline engines.

http://new.api.org/certifications/en...lGuide2006.pdf (broken link)

The specifications referred to in these classifications generally have to do with oxidation protection, high temperature engine deposits, foaming, acid formation, sludge control and rust and corrosion protection.
Used to be when oil had zinc they also were rated on anti-friction properties. With the e.p.a. bs that is not the case anymore. Most new oils are harmful to older style engines with flat tappet type cams because of e.p.a. requirements that has removed the high friction lubing properties.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 AM

483 posts, read 1,224,359 times
I wouldn't do it, they're generally just a rip off to get your money. You're better off buying Seafoam at your local auto parts store. Another option is next time you need to change your oil, drain a quart and a half to 2 quarts of it out, then replace what you drained out with automatic transmission fluid. Run it for a little while, drive it around the block a few times, then change your oil as regular. Does a pretty decent job cleaning out your motor.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,801,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You do not mix regular engine oil and Synthetic oil together. It is like mixing water and oil together. Had a customer loan his car to a friend. Nice friend was told at a gas station that the engine was a qt low. Nice friend said, "put a qt in for me". Customer ended up needing a rebuilt motor. Stefhen
Please explain why this would be. I respect you as the mechanic you claim to be, but I have topped off an engine with regular dino oil that had synthetic in it. I never had any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive