Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is why I said 1953 was the last time manuals were offered until they reappeared, meaning on the Cimarron and other '80s Cads.
I seriously don't know if it was offered in the Cimarron or not. I don't know of any other model in the 80s where it would possibly have been offered. I'm not sure a manual transmission was offered again before the CTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I seriously don't know if it was offered in the Cimarron or not. I don't know of any other model in the 80s where it would possibly have been offered. I'm not sure a manual transmission was offered again before the CTS.
Correct... Cadillac has never had their foot into sport cars until recently ergo no real need for a manual. Cadillacs impression of luxury was always that the driver should have to do nothing but steer, press gas, press brake... the car would take car of all the rest. The period between the TH400's and the 700R4/4L60's was the only slump in Cadillacs auto trans. selection... and even those trannies seem to still hold up over time.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Automatic transmissions stopped being a slush box a long time ago. Especially when they have a shift kit like on my '69 Cadillac... nice, firm shifts.
I dunno man I am driving an 08 altima rental car...it has a slush box with the option to shift it manually. But it won't let me bounce it off the rev limiter...it shifts for me....if i floor it in a gear and the rpm isnt optimal it shifts for me....why even bother having an autostick.

Will the shift kit in your Caddy let you make perfectly rev matched downshifts while flying into a corner?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I dunno man I am driving an 08 altima rental car...it has a slush box with the option to shift it manually. But it won't let me bounce it off the rev limiter...it shifts for me....if i floor it in a gear and the rpm isnt optimal it shifts for me....why even bother having an autostick.
Of course how an automatic functions varies from make to make. I do know that the G.M. Turbo-Hydramatic and Mopar's Torqueflite will stay in 1st or 2nd gear until the selector is moved. It won't shift down into 1st until the car speed is below about 25-30 mph to prevent overrevving and below about 55 mph in 2nd.

Quote:
Will the shift kit in your Caddy let you make perfectly rev matched downshifts while flying into a corner?
I don't drive it like that, however, a manual valve body can be installed on an auto trans which is available at speed shops.

Incidentally, the shift kit in my former '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 would allow it to easily schreech the tires from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd (depending on the road)... that doesn't sound like much of a "slushbox" to me.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
For the record, the last time a manual transmission was offered on a Cadillac from the past was in 1953 on the series 75s. From 1954 and later, only automatics (until they reappeared).
Just an FYI on this point, Fleet.

The primary reason Cadillacs were built with manual transmissions in 1953 was due to a huge, very destructive fire in the Hydra-Matic Plant, not because of demand. In fact, many Cadillacs were produced with Buick's DynaFlow Transmission due to the same fire.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Just an FYI on this point, Fleet.

The primary reason Cadillacs were built with manual transmissions in 1953 was due to a huge, very destructive fire in the Hydra-Matic Plant, not because of demand. In fact, many Cadillacs were produced with Buick's DynaFlow Transmission due to the same fire.
Yeah, I've heard of that fire. One of my Cadillacs friends mentioned it.
Like you said, there couldn't have been a big demand for Cadillacs w/manual transmissions!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I got a hot rod article on a guy who opened up a 500 to a 540 and is running it in a 10 second drag car. Now that's cool running a big block Caddie engine in drag racing. The torque output must be incredible.
Some of those street racers in the New York area would drive '69 and '70 Cadillacs and Buick Electras with nitrous oxide and run in the 11s! I have a photo of a '70 Cadillac on the street lined up against a Plymouth ready to race, but I'm not sure if it's a copyrighted photo and unfortunately I can't post those types of photos on this site. I have posted the same photo on a few car message boards.

Quote:
Now, if Cadillac could bring out motors like that again with the 400 transmission and rear wheel drive, I would be in the showroom tomorrow. I'm old enough to remember the big engine Cadillacs on the showroom floor. The new engines seem to be a shadow of what once was.
Me, too. I would like to buy about a half-dozen '66-'70 Cadillacs when they were new.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
What, 6.3 liters and a blower isn't enough for you guys?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What, 6.3 liters and a blower isn't enough for you guys?
Nope Ill need at least 7.7 or an 8.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

you need to hit the BMW SMG's or VW/Audi's DSG tranny's....

BMW's was faster than Ferrari's.. and the DSG is even faster than that due to a duel-clutch config. Of course... all are much faster than a human. Which isn't the case with the "fake" ones that are out there these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive